SF Christmas contest **new contest** *winner announced*

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Petal, Nov 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

SF Christmas contest

This is a contest based on ''what are your experiences with christmas like''? This contest will have a prize which I will purchase and send to the winner by post. The winner will be chosen randomly completely. It's just something fun filled and brings our little community that much closer.

Of course I cannot enter but my experiences with christmas have been very good ones, always love and care and presents and eating good junk food, in my school days helping the homeless, kleaving cookies and milk out for santa when I was very young, I don't have any bad experiences with christmas that my mind can remember right now anyway! Anyway feel free to chime in and see if you can win that prize (which I don't know what it is yet- I will be buying based on gender/location).

The contest starts now and finishes on the 9th of December so you have a whole month!

5 people like this.
  2. Petal

wow not 1 reply. Bumping this thread, you don't need to tell your life story lol just a little bit of christmas.

3. Cicada 3301

Cicada 3301 Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

My xmas story is not very happy, otherwise I would share.

4. SilhouetteOfADancer

SilhouetteOfADancer Active Member

I can't really say a lot about my Christmas experiences, because I don't care for Christmas an awful lot; my mother however, is an avid fan of ol' Chrimbo. This year, she put the tree up when it turned November which obviously, I found ridiculous, and that pretty much sums up my Christmas experiences. I'm rather indifferent amidst a lot of excitement, but I do enjoy the festivities in small doses here and there.

2 people like this.
  5. Inspire&Inquire

Inspire&Inquire SF Supporter

New years Eve Dec. 31 2000 we went up Pao Asucar (sugarloaf) and sister was hungry for a cochina - a beaf or chicken fried snack. She didn't like it and she offered it to me and I took a little nibble of the fried crust and passed it to my brother and father, who noted that the meat was still cold - but being them ate it anyway. We headed up sugarloaf and back down after viewing the wonderful view of the "bahia" or bay. At around eight o'clock we found ourselves back in our little apartment and my brother and father's stomach's start to rumble. About half an hour later my brother and father were fighting turns to expel vomit and or feces in the toilet and had decided they would sit out the fireworks show.

We hailed a cab and made our way to the beach where we would be able to watch the festivities from another friend's apartment right on the beach. It was a nice apartment with a terrific view, or it would have been a terrific view if it weren't for the low clouds that rolled in. The fireworks were pointless, obscured by the low hanging clouds. All we could see were lightflsshes through the cloud cover.

After the festivities the real fun began. The clouds began dumping copious amounts of rain, and the crowd on the beach had all dispersed into the streets a great mob moving inland through the pouring rain. There was zero chance of getting a cab. So we had to join the masses and walk back in the pouring rain. While walking back my sister learned not to touch the light poles because the pouring rain had caused some of them to become electrified to the touch. We were drenched and met all sorts of strange people along the way. My mother bought me a churro for my troubles. We made our way back to the appartment soaking wet and looked and my brother and father - having had vomiting defecating everything in their system - wondering who got the better experience.

2 people like this.
  6. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

I remember a Christmas when I was young.....a long time ago. We were living in Germany. My dad was in the Army. My Mom and Dad wanted what was called a Camel Saddle. Basically a foot stool, that looked a little like a saddle. You would relax on the couch and put your feet up. This was around 1959 or so. PRIMITIVE TIMES! Anyway, on Christmas morning there were two huge packages under the tree. One for mom and one for dad. Dad had bought mom a camel saddle and mom had bought dad one. It was pretty neat.

6 people like this.
  7. Aeneas

Aeneas Well-Known Member

I had a fun little Christmas one year where it snowed outside of my house.
    Which for a lot of people is normal, but I live in the desert!
    It was so strange, and we though it would last for maybe a few minutes before dissipating.
    How wrong I was! It began to snow very heavily, and we as kids were so excited!
    And then I remember, I wanted to stay inside; because, screw getting sick, amiright? Haha!
    When I wen to look out of the living room window, I saw that my neighbor's big thick tree that provided so much shade for their house,
    was beginning to crack under the weight of the snow. Finally, a very big limb of the tree snapped off and landed on the neighbor's car!
    Everyone in the house thought they heard thunder, and I just couldn't believe it!

Basically, between the scramble to make sure everyone was okay, we managed to make it a decent holiday.

Tender mercies in life, am I right?

2 people like this.
  8. Petal

4 entires so far, some fabulous experiences...let's keep this going, share your experiences, it's quite relaxing reading people's stories :)

9. Petal

Bumping =)

10. i always have a christmas filled with family and food. we always go my grandparents house and i help cook everything. the adults play a present game were they each get 10 presents in a basket and they go in a circle picking out random gifts. I always get

paid for wrapping the gifts because most adults are lazy and i like money. than the kids or teens open there gifts and we have the big Christmas dinner which is the best and i love this time of year because it seems like everyone is actually love other and thats the only time i feel i have a family. its a very important time for me.

3 people like this.
  11. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

I remember sledding down a hill near my grandparents house. I also remember driving around town with family friends to see all the houses Christmas lights and decorations.

4 people like this.
  12. Tear

Tear Active Member

Christmas is my favourite time of the year. I like how people become a bit more sensitive and helping.

I remember that few years ago I spent Christmas at my grandmother, being surrouned with my family and relatives, includind a great-aunt who is dead now. In the evening we went to church, then we came home, ate and sang carols.

2 people like this.
  13. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

I feel a bit bad for entering since I was so lucky to win the Halloween one!

But I do want to thank you people for being so nice to do these contests!

I'm that girl who should hate Christmas with a passion... but I go all nuts when December comes closer; I decorate my tiny flat top to bottom with Christmas stuff, even stuff from my tough childhood.

I think what saved me was what happened one Christmas eve (we celebrate Christmas on the 24th here), I think I was 17... and I realize I'm going to sound like a weirdo.

I had lost my faith in God when I was 13, and I never really believed in Santa...
    But that one Christmas eve I had been particularly depressed and lonely. Just to get away from it all I took the dog for a walk after the dinner. It was the most amazing experience ever. The frosty air and the complete silence. Normally I have a phobia of silence, but there was something so pristine about this one. The dog took a while to 'do his business' and I looked up at the stars, they seemed a lot clearer than normally because of the frost, and I saw the biggest shooting star I have ever seen. I was instantly filled with a peace, I felt happy even. When the dog and I returned home it was as if the lights on the tree (we use real fir trees with candles) seemed to shine so pretty...

I then discovered an older Nordic tale of 'Father Christmas'. It's said that he goes door to door on Christmas eve, with a candle on his hat, and if he heard that there is a good mood and no one is yelling inside he slips in to light the tree, and the candles burn with a magical glow.

If I have kids I'll raise them to believe in him rather than santa. And every Christmas eve, like I do now I'll take them on a short walk after dinner to look for him.

3 people like this.
  14. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Christmas in our house starts in October.
    I make the mince for the mince pies (sultanas, raisins, brandy etc) and let it ferment in a kilner jar.
    Then I make the Christmas cakes, also full of fruit and brandy and add brandy all the way up to Christmas eve when the various cakes are given to family.

I've done all the cooking since I had my son and family would always come to ours for the day, so the entire house is a mad house up to Christmas eve.
    I clean like a lunatic, and spend hours prepping and icing the Christmas cakes.
    The whole house gets decorated and when the kids were young (I fostered two boys as well as having Mole), much paper chaining and threading of popcorn occurred.

We've had riotous Christmases, one year when my cousin was living with me, and it was her first Christmas with us; I'd put the turkey out to defrost ready for stuffing.
    I look round and Hamlet, our cat at the time, was busily munching through a frozen leg.
    I screamed and at the same time, happened to look out the French doors to see my cousin doubled over with laughter.
    This of course caused mass hysteria all round and me, cousin, and the 3 boys collapsed with laughter.
    I then rang dad to let him know there would be slightly less turkey to carve than usual, which of course set him and mum off.
    We spent the early part of Christmas eve at the vets, with a very unrepentant cat, just to make sure he hadn't poisoned himself. :D

4 people like this.
  15. Petal

Hahahaha im sorry terry but that was hysterical to read, i was imagining it as i was reading it. ROFL amazing christmas story :)

16. Petal

Bumping the contest!!!

17. Purple_Thorn

Purple_Thorn Well-Known Member

My family ended up making traditions out of necessity. We would decorate the house the day after school got out. Christmas presents would go under the tree on Christmas Eve Day. Everything was simple. Simple, clean, quiet. A good Christmas.

2 people like this.
  18. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Christmas for me is about giving back and not receiving. I tend to buy crap presents but always kept a tradition of giving bottles of wine for those who had a tough year. It's the surprise factor and letting others know that someone does care. In recent years, I have kept a tradition in that others eat the birds but I feed the birds. I tend to buy the out of date bread on Christmas Eve and feed the birds early in the morning on the day. I would spend a lot on presents in the past but now it's about having a quiet holiday and nothing more.

2 people like this.
  19. Petal

Awesome responses guys :) Let's try and keep them coming!! Thanks so much for entering so far!

20. Christmas is always a joy for my family. It is also to most relaxing one surprisingly. Christmas eve we go to my grandfathers (Opa's) and food is help yourself and eat whenever no formal meal. presents exchanged and play white elephant game. Christmas day is just at home and stockings and gift exchange and just relax all day.

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.