SF Cookbook Thread

Cowburn

Does anyone have a good French Toast recipe? It's probably really easy to make but I'm not sure, only had it the one time when I was in Colorado and loved it!

Growing Pains

Does anyone have a good French Toast recipe? It's probably really easy to make but I'm not sure, only had it the one time when I was in Colorado and loved it!
I loved the way this one turned out. It makes a LOT, though, so I recommend halving the recipe. Also, it's really, really sweet. So, if you don't like sweet things... might not be what you're looking for.

Generally speaking, though, it's very easy to make. For one person, I just crack an egg in a bowl, beat the egg, take a slice of bread and dip both sides of it in the egg, do the same to the second slice of bread, butter a pan lightly, and then cook each slice on both sides until they're lightly browned. Some people add milk to the eggs or sugar (or both).

Tomato soup, pasta, done.

Simple, fast and quite filling.

Obviously cook the pasta first, it's up to you whether you heat the soup up or not, i do, i don't like cold soup.

Another one i often make:

put some beans in a pan, add some grated cheese, add either brown or worcester sauce or any other sauce you like. (heat up)

Whip up some instant mash

Fry some bacon, once cooked chop up into smaller parts add to beans then add that to mash.

I'm not into waiting 40 minutes for my meals or microwavable ones either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cowburn

I loved the way this one turned out. It makes a LOT, though, so I recommend halving the recipe. Also, it's really, really sweet. So, if you don't like sweet things... might not be what you're looking for.

Generally speaking, though, it's very easy to make. For one person, I just crack an egg in a bowl, beat the egg, take a slice of bread and dip both sides of it in the egg, do the same to the second slice of bread, butter a pan lightly, and then cook each slice on both sides until they're lightly browned. Some people add milk to the eggs or sugar (or both).
Thanks, I've bookmarked it for future reference :)

This is not exactly from my part of the world, but it certainly is a regular around my house!

Chicken Hokkaido

· 1 to 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken (I used breasts)

· Prepare a sauce:

o 1 or 2 cloves garlic, crushed or minced

o 4 tablespoons soy sauce

o 2 tablespoons lemon juice

o 1 dash sugar

o 1 dash pepper

o 2 tablespoons of oil

o 1 teaspoon minced or dried oregano

· cook sauce and meat together in large frying pan until meat is no longer pink in the middle. Serve over rice.

· Note: the longer the chicken sits in sauce before cooking, the more tender it gets.

SaraRose

Marks Beans On Toast

Ingredients:
--------------
1 can of baked beans
Butter or margarine
2-3 slices of bread
Put the bread in the toaster and whack it on the appropriate setting depending on how well done you like your bread toasted.
Put the toast on a warm plate and spread with butter or margarine.
Now pour the lovely hot beans all over the toast and just add salt,pepper and hp sauce to taste. Enjoy!

YUMMY! This sounds so delicious! I needa try it sometime!

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

If you have a crock pot this is an easy thing that you can leave alone almost all day.

Crockpot Chicken-

~chicken, which ever pieces you like (boneless and skinless work best but you can have the bones and skin if you want)
~Salsa, any flavor and heat you want (amount depends on how much chicken you have)

------

Take enough of the salsa to cover the bottom of the crockpot. Then add your chicken. Take the rest of the salsa and pour it over the chicken. Put the crockpot on high until it starts bubbling, If you want a quicker cook time, keep it on high and it will be done about 6-8 hours (cooking time depends on what chicken pieces and how much) or you can turn it down to low and let it cook for about 12 hours (again depends on how many peices and which ones). I've found with certain salsas you do have to add some water as some brands cook away too fast.

When the chicken is no longer pink in the middle (and if it gets done too early you can put it on low or warm) take it out and serve. The salsa in the crockpot can either be poured on top or used as a dip for the chicken.

ZasuArt

Sorry for the long post, but everyone seems to love this when I make it, so I thought I'd share. The nutmeg in the bechemel sauce adds a really nice, nutty flavor that's perfect for this time of year. It's a bit time consuming, but I think it's worth it. It's also totally vegetarian, but carnivores seem to enjoy it just the same. :)

Roasted Red Pepper Lasagne w/ Bechemel Sauce (6-8 servings)

Ingredients

12 no-boil lasagne noodles
1 1/4c finely shredded parmesan cheese
Fresh Basil sprigs for garnish

For Red Pepper Sauce:
2 7 oz jars whole (or halved) roasted sweet red peppers
1 tbs olive oil
1 28 oz can crushed tomatos
1/2 c snipped fresh basil
4 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp salt

For Bechemel Sauce:
1/3 c butter
1/3c all purpose flour
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
3 c milk

Directions

For Red Pepper Sauce:
- Drain red peppers and slice into thin strips
- In a large saucepan, sautee pepper strips in hot olive oil over medium heat 1 minute. Stir in undrained tomatos, basil, garlic, black pepper and 1/2 tsp salt. Bring to boiling, reduce heat. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Cool.

For Bechemel Sauce:
- In a medium sauce pan, melt butter. Stir in flour, nutmeg and 1/2 tsp salt until smooth. Add milk all at once and whisk to fully blend. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly. I typically keep the heat low and continue whisking until it thickens (this may take a while, but slower cooking and whisking makes the nicest sauce in my opinion, and is less likely to burn!).

To Assemble:
- Grease the bottom of a 3 qt rectangular baking dish. Cover bottom of dish with 3 no-boil lasagne noodles. Evenly spread about 1 cup of the red pepper sauce over noodles. Evenly top with 3/4 cup bechemel sauce. Sprinkle about 1/4 cup parmesan cheese. Repeat for 3 more layers with the remaining pasta, red pepper sauce, bechemel sauce and parmesan. Be sure the top layer of noodles is completely covered in sauce. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese.

Baking Instructions:
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven 35 - 40 minutes or until bubbly and light brown on top. Let stand 20 minutes. Garnish with basil sprigs.

To Make Ahead:
Assemble lasagne as directed. Cover w/ plastic wrap. Refrigerate up to 24 hours. To serve, remove plastic wrap and cover with foil. Bake in a 350 degree oven 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake 15-25 minutes until bubbly and light brown.

Witty_Sarcasm

🦄🦜🧁🌈🌝💖
SF Supporter
This one is simple and easy, not much cooking involved lol, but it's good.

Veggie Pizza

Roll out a can of crescent roll dough flat onto a pan. Bake as directed on can. Mix together one softened package of cream cheese, half a pack of powdered ranch seasoning, 1/4 cup mayo, and spread on crust when taken out of oven. Top with vegetables such as carrots, onion, broccoli, cauliflower or any combination of what you want.

Tmacster1

This one is simple and easy, not much cooking involved lol, but it's good.

Veggie Pizza

Roll out a can of crescent roll dough flat onto a pan. Bake as directed on can. Mix together one softened package of cream cheese, half a pack of powdered ranch seasoning, 1/4 cup mayo, and spread on crust when taken out of oven. Top with vegetables such as carrots, onion, broccoli, cauliflower or any combination of what you want.

Makes me hungry right now... I'm a deep fan of all pizza's alike thanks for your post :)

Trevor,

Tmacster1

I plan to --- even if it doesn't turn out like the traditional pizza's i'm use to haha. ;) Arg! almost time to sleep lol tired >_>

Trevor,

These are some of my recipes. The first one is from a cook book, the second is one I came up with.

Difficulty: If you can cook noodles, then quite easy
Type: Main
Time taken: ca. 20 mins
Ingredients for: As main for a 3-meal-a-day-lifestyle: 2 persons; otherwise 3 - 4

Chili Noodles
~ 100g smoked ham (Black Forest ham)
~ 500g tomatoes
~ 150g black olives (preferably with no stones)
~ 3 garlic cloves
~ 1 red chili
~ 250g noodles
~ salt, parsley, spices
~ some olive oil

1. Cook the noodles according to the package (which means: boil water, put some salt and eventually some olive oil in there, then the noodles, turn down heat and let them cook 12mins or whatever the package says)

2. Cut the ham, tomatoes, olives, garlic and chili. Watch out to not touch your face or eyes after doing so.

3. Put some olive oil in a pan and roast the garlic and ham. Then add the olives and chili. Last add the tomatoes. Always let everything roast for a few minutes before adding the next ingredient-set.
Add some spices.

4. Put the noodles thru a strainer / sieve / whatever and add them to the pan. Roast them a bit too

--> If you want you can substitute the chili with sambal oelek, cayenne pepper or just leave it out
--> If you add a few capers you can refine the meal

Difficulty: Very easy
Type: Side, snack, breakfast, other
Time taken: ca. 10 mins
Ingredients for: ~ 2 persons

Scrambled Eggs (Greek Style)
~ 3 (open land) eggs
~ 1 handful (organic) cherry tomatoes
~ 1 handful cubed feta with herbs (alternatively just add some spices / fresh herbs)
~ 1 handful black stone free olives
~ salt, pepper, oregano

1. Cut the tomatoes and olives in half or little slices. Eventually you also need to cut the feta cheese a bit smaller too.

2. Roast the olives in a pan for a few minutes; add the cheese and make it a bit melty, then add the tomatoes. In the end add the eggs and scramble them a bit with your spatula.

3. Add some spices and - if your feta didn't contain any - some fresh herbs

--> If you want you can also add some onions. Roast them first, then follow as described above
--> If you make this a breakfast addition, some roasted toast goes really well with it

Witty_Sarcasm

🦄🦜🧁🌈🌝💖
SF Supporter
Dump Cake (it's called that because everything is dumped on each other lol)

1 can cherry pie filling
1 small can pineapple or fruit cocktail
1 box yellow or white cake mix
1 cup coconut
1 stick margarine, melted
chopped nuts if you want

Layer the ingredients in order given. Bake at 325 for an hour.

I know I write simple recipes, but I cook more than that lol. I just like things that are easy.

houseofcards

Nommy New York Cheesecake

Ingredients

15 graham crackers, crushed
2 tablespoons butter, melted

4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3/4 cup milk
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9 inch springform pan.
In a medium bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs with melted butter. Press onto bottom of springform pan.
In a large bowl, mix cream cheese with sugar until smooth. Blend in milk, and then mix in the eggs one at a time, mixing just enough to incorporate. Mix in sour cream, vanilla and flour until smooth. Pour filling into prepared crust.
Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour. Turn the oven off, and let cake cool in oven with the door closed for 5 to 6 hours; this prevents cracking. Chill in refrigerator until serving.

Growing Pains

Not my recipe, so I can't take credit. But I will link to it. I made these stuffed shells about a week ago and they were a hit with the family. It was the first time in a long time that there were no leftovers whatsoever.

Clicky

Pasta08

Banned Member
Chicken marsala :)

Yield: Serves 4

Ingredients:

4 boneless chicken breast halves without skin
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried leaf basil
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 to 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup Sweet Marsala wine

Preparation:

Pound chicken to 1/4" thickness between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Combine flour, salt, pepper, and basil; mix well. Heat oil and butter in a heavy non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Dredge chicken in seasoned flour mixture. Cook chicken until lightly browned on first side, about 2 to 3 minutes. Turn chicken and add mushrooms around the chicken pieces. Cook about 2 minutes longer, until lightly browned; stir the mushrooms. Add Marsala wine to pan. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 10 minutes.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00