4 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 sticks melted margarine
4 Tablespoons cocoa
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 Cups flour
1 cup nuts (optional)
Mini marshmellows

Beat eggs slightly, stir in sugar, margarine. Mix flour, cocoa and nuts in another bowl. Add vanilla to egg mixture, the add mixture and stir.

When cake is done cover with marshmellows while hot. Pour icing over cake and let set overnight.

ICING
1/2 stick melted margarine
4 Tablespoons cocoa
3-4 cups powdered sugar (thin with milk if too thick)
1 cup sweetened condensed milk

Mix until creamy and pour over cake.

Hope this works. I had to mess with it some myself as the ingredients don't come in the same boxes and bags as 30 years ago.

Lost

Staff Alumni
Lost's Secret Cheese Sauce Recipe!

1 Table Spoon Flour
1 table spoon of butter or marg
1/2 pint of milk
2 cups of cheese (I used cheddar)
1 teaspoon of mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Add butter or marg and the flour to sauce pan over a medium heat and stir continuously for 1 minute. Pour in the milk and bring to the boil and then simmer gently. Add mustard, salt and pepper and stir in the cheese. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Done! :biggrin:

Nice with veggies.. nom!

Last edited by a moderator:

houseofcards

Delimeat's (My friend's nickname) Fried Catfish
This works best if you have a deepfrier, but it can be done if you have a frying pan and a ton of oil.

This also goes well with a typical salad with ranch dressing. I'm not posting a recipe for salad with dressing, though, since it's kind of easy. :3

Makes:4

Things needed:
  • 4 Catfish Filets(they go for $9/pound here, but down in the Southern US it's CHEAP, not sure about about the price range for people in other countries)
  • 4 Sandwich Rolls (Bulkie)
  • Old Bay Seasoning
  • Dijon Mustard
  • Corn Meal
  • Frank's Hot Sauce (or any other brand)
  • Tartar Sauce
  • Lettuce
  • Tomato
  • Vegetable Oil

-Put Vegetable Oil or Canola Oil in deepfryer
-Preheat deep-fryer to 350 degrees Fahrenheit - 176 Celsius

Take catfish filets, rinse under lukewarm water, rub dijon mustard on them, then place on a paper towel or plate.

Prepare a bag (liter bag) and put cornmeal and old bay inside of the bag, the more old bay the better but don't overdo it!

Throw catfish filets in the bag and shake shake shake shake shake!

When deep-fryer is at the desired temperature, slowly place filets into the oil. Don't burn yourself!
If you're using a frying pan, basically put it on medium-high heat and put enough oil on the pan so the filet will be completely covered, flip over when bottom starts to look golden brown.

Wait until fish rises to the top and stops bubbling for the most part (about 6-10 minutes)

Get some paper towels out and mat a plate with them, NOT PLASTIC, and fish out the filets with METAL tongs, place on the paper towel to cool and allow the oil to drain off of them.

Now you get your bulkie rolls out! Take the tops off, place a decent amount of lettuce and sliced tomato on, put a spoonful of tartar sauce on, and then place the fish on. Drizzle hot-sauce onto the fish - the more the merrier, but if you're not into hot-sauce, you can leave it out. (You don't know what you're missing, though) Sprinkle some extra Old Bay on, if desired, put the top of the roll over the fish, and EAT IT!

:shelbi:

Mr Stewart

unstable person's semi healthy meal without effort:

package of frozen perogies
sausage
some type of cheese
sour cream

Take medium sized pot, add water, enough to fill the bottom about 1 inch up. Not much.

Heat. Chop some of the sausage. When water is hot but not boiling yet, dump in perogies and sausage. Put a lid on the pot. Wait 10 minutes. Take perogies and sausage out of pot, put on plate, put cheese on top, microwave to melt cheese slightly, put a small amount of sour cream on plate.

done.

catecholamine

Super easy, super yummy ham

Just in time for the holidays, I figured I'd share the simple way my mother has always made a delicious ham. I didn't put measurements because it depends on what size ham you make. I just instinctively know how much is enough. Cooking time and temp also varies on the size of the ham - you can find it easily through google.

Ingredients:

Ham:
Cloves (the little tiny ones you push the little spike into the ham, not ground cloves)
Pineapple rings (from a can, in juice)

Glaze:
Mustard (like in the yellow bottle)
Maple Syrup
Pineapple Juice (from the can of pineapple rings)

Take your ham and, if you want, make a kind of diamond cut pattern on top. Put the little cloves all over it. You don't have to put a ton, but still put plenty. Remember, you'll have to pull these out after you're done cooking it, so don't make the ham one giant clove. Next, use toothpicks to attach pineapple rings all over your ham. Save the pineapple juice for the glaze!

For the glaze, it only has 3 ingredients. Mix them all together. As far as the amounts, you want it to be a little thick, but not like the consistency of the syrup. It with thicken during cooking. Taste the glaze for sweetness. The mustard taste mellows out a lot during cooking, so don't worry. You wouldn't even know it was mustard after the ham is done. I'm guessing the ratios are something like 1/2c maple syrup, 1/2c pineapple juice, and about 1 teaspoon of mustard. Obviously you'd need more for a bigger ham (this one would be maybe 3 to 4 lbs). Mix it all together well till blended, then brush the top and sides of the ham generously with the glaze. Pour remaining glaze over the top of the ham.
Google cooking times and temp for your size ham.
Continuously base the ham with the drippings. If you don't, the flavor won't soak in as well and the ham may get dry. If pineapple rings begin drying out, cover the ham with aluminum foil and baste them well in drippings too. Finally, when the ham is done, pull out all the cloves. Try not to miss any because biting into one of those is no fun! If you want to take the toothpicks out and just lay the pineapple on top, you can do that. It's way yummy with the ham!

For a ham, this is super easy. Every time I make it, people always want to know how I did it. It makes the whole house smell delicious.
Enjoy!

~Shiori~

Account Closed
Hello Everyone!!!!

I have had many ask me in chat about making fried rice. Its actually pretty easy and a great meal to use up leftovers in the refrigerator. Also you can substitute many of the ingredients to what you like to eat. Fried rice can lead to creativity in the kitchen. Hopefully I transferred the ingredients correctly for my American friends.

Ingredients:

2 cups of cooked rice (I use leftover from previous meal but you can cook fresh)
1/2 cup of cooked pork (any meat you prefer just as long as precooked) (we used turkey after one holiday)
1/4 cup of onions
1/4 cup of chopped carrots (can be substituted)
1/4 cup of chopped green pepper (can be substituted)
2 mushrooms chopped up (can be substituted)
some chopped up green onions (to taste)
2 eggs scrambled
clove of garlic
soy sauce (about 2 tbsp)
pepper
sake or mirin (about tsp)
MSG seasoning (not mandatory but helps flavor)
peanut oil (enough to coat pan bottom lightly)

Directions:

heat skillet on medium high heat with oil. Add garlic, onions, green pepper, carrots and mirin. Stir while cooking and cook so that items inside are a little soft. Then add meat. Continue to stir so heated and mixed. Push meat/veggie mix to side of skillet and add a little more oil to middle of skillet. Add the two scrambled eggs to the middle of skillet and fry up. After eggs have cooked add to rest of meat/ veggie mixture. Put the mixture ingredients into a separate bowl. No need to clean skillet, just add the rice. Start frying rice and add pepper and MSG seasoning. Add salt at this time if you wish. After rice is warm add the soy sauce evenly (more can be added for more flavor). Continue to stir as you mix the soy sauce in. Add the mixture from the bowl back into the rice and stir. Add green onions last and stir final time. Remove from heat.

That it serve.

I can usually grab stuff from refrigerator and have finished cooking in about ten minutes tops. So make for quick easy one skillet meal.

Butterfly

Sim Addict
Safety & Support
SF Author
SF Supporter
Lexi's Scrummy Yummy Scones

Prepare your ingredients. You should have:
Self raising flour
White Sugar
Margarine
Semi skimmed milk
Vanilla essence (optional)

Prepare your equipment:
Mixing bowl
2 Cup
1 Teaspoon
2 Tablespoons

Make sure you pre heat your over to about 190 degrees and let it pre heat while you are mixing! And don't forget to wash your hands and cooking area!

Step 1) Measure approximately 2 and a half cups of the self raising flour (this is the size cup I used http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/4168/20110814181205.jpg)
Step 2) Add about 3 tabespoons of white sugar. Add more or less depending on how sweet you would like your scones.
Step 3) Sieve the flour and sugar into the mixing bowel.
Step 4) Add about 3-4 caps of vanilla essence if you have got it (doesn't matter if you don't) or measure out a small teapsoon full and add it to your sieved flour.
Step 5) Next add about 50g of margarine (approximately 2 tablespoons of margarine, see picture for how much to add http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/1964/20110814180456.jpg)
Step 6) Rub the margarine into the flour, as if you were sprinkling fairy dust. It should start to begin to look like bread crumbs after a while. This bit can be a bit messy and take a while. Also make sure you are not using marg straight out the fridge otherwise it is a buggar to rub in. It should look something like this after a while http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/3522/20110814181221.jpg
Step 7) Measure out a cup of milk then add a little to the mixture (just under half). Mix the flour into the milk. I just normally do this with a spoon. It should start to clump together like this http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/6397/20110814181445.jpg. Keep adding a little more milk until the mixture beings to form into a large dough ball like this http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/7256/20110814181625.jpg
Step 8) Sometimes if you have added a little too much milk the mixture can get sticky. If this happens to add a little flour to your mixture.
Step 9) Spread some flour on your cooking surface and then evenly spread the dough ball. Do this with your hands and not a rolling pin. Once the dough is the thickness you want, then start cutting our your scones.
Step 10) Once finished cutting your scones, put them in the oven. Check them in approximately 15 minutes but often are not cooked enough until 20-25 minutes. You will know when they are cooked because the outside should be a golden brown colour.
Step 11) Voila. You are now ready to eat!!!! Add some jam and cream for extra yummyness! http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/831/scones.jpg/ http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/8610/20110814183710.jpg

~Shiori~

Account Closed
ok I will post these too... I am big fan of veggies and but get tired of eating plain veggies so I will share a few recipes I like.

Asparagus with Almonds
Shing Ren Lu Shun

Ingredients:

4 tablespoons of peanut oil
2 scallions
1 pound of asparagus (or cauliflower)
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of sugar
1/3 cup sliced almonds

Cut asparagus into 1 inch pieces (only use tops of cauliflower). Chop scallions.

Heat skillet and add 1 teaspoon of peanut oil. Stir-fry the sliced almods over low heat until golden brown. Place in separate bowl. No need to clean skillet.

Heat remaining peanut oil. Stir-fry the scallions for only a few seconds. Add the asparagus (or cauliflower) and stir-fry over high heat for 4-5 minutes (will change color). Add salt and sugar and mix well. Place in serving dish and sprinkle with almonds.

Green Beans with Almonds
Shing Ren Ching Do

Substitute the asparagus from the above recipe for 1 pound string beans. Add 2 tablespoons of light soy sauce. To prepare green beans cut into 1.5 to 2 inch pieces and parboil for 3 minutes. Drain and run under cold water before stir frying. Green beans will need to stir-fry for an additional 3-5 minutes longer than asparagus does.

Marks Beans On Toast

Ingredients:
--------------
1 can of baked beans
Butter or margarine
2-3 slices of bread
Put the bread in the toaster and whack it on the appropriate setting depending on how well done you like your bread toasted.
Put the toast on a warm plate and spread with butter or margarine.
Now pour the lovely hot beans all over the toast and just add salt,pepper and hp sauce to taste. Enjoy!

Freya

Loves SF
Admin
SF Author
SF Supporter
Lu's Chocolate "Squidgy Squares" (Like a brownie only... squidgier?)

Okay I just felt that this thread didn't have enough chocolate on it yet. So...
You need:
110g Butter
55g Cocoa powder
220g caster sugar
55g self raising flour
2 eggs lightly beaten

1. Melt the butter and sugar together in a pan/pot but do not allow to boil.
2. Remove from heat then stir in beaten egg.
3. Fold in flour and cocoa poweder.
4. Pour into an 18cm sq tin and bake at 180 celcius (don't know what that converts to in American temps sorry?) for 30 minutes.
5. Try not to eat them all at once before they've had a chance to cool as my mother did last time I baked these :/

xxxxx

Terry

Antiquities Friend
Staff Alumni
A tip from Jane Asher to make sponges lighter, use spreadable butter!
That way you get the taste of butter but a lighter sponge...it works too!

SashaJade

Sams recipe for Guernsey Gache [local kind of yummers fruit bread].

1lb plain flour
½lb Butter [doesn't taste as good with margarine substitute so i'd suggest sticking to butter]
12oz sultanas
2oz mixed peel
1oz fresh yeast
1tsp sugar
1tsp salt
½ pint warm water

1. Sieve together the flour and salt and stand the bowl in a warm place.
  2. Cream together the yeast and sugar, add a little water and leave in a warm place for a few minutes.
  3. Rub the fat into the flour, make a well in the centre and add the yeast mixture and gradually add the rest of the water to make a very soft dough.
  4. Lastly fold in the fruit.
  5. Cover and leave to prove in a warm place for one and a half to two hours.
  6. Turn the mix into a 1lb loaf tin.
  7. Bake for thirty minutes at 220°C (Gas seven), then lower to 200°C (Gas 6) for a further thirty minutes.
  8. Serve sliced, possibly toasted, and buttered.

http://www.guernseyimages.com/mediafiles/preview/362e065f-1012-4cd8-a453-9e87e4789daf.jpg << this is Gache if you're interested. [its pronounced gosh effectively :P ]

~Shiori~

Account Closed
Happy Smile New Year Cake
Hoi How Sieu

Please see notes below on one of the ingredients. Also what we call cake here you might call cookies.

Ingredients:

1 cup of Flour
1/4 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/8 teaspoon of ammonium bicarbonate *
1/4 cup of water
sesame seeds

Directions:

Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and ammonium bicarbonate.

Add water and mix well.

Make batter into 1 inch balls and roll into sesame seeds. Let sit for 15 minutes.

Fry in oil at 300 degrees until golden brown about 10 to 15 minutes.

*For those stateside, I found out that ammonium bicarbonate can be bought in many bake shops or online. Since the recipe already calls for baking powder and baking soda it seems a little redundant to substitute what is already there but I was told it does work but the cakes don't come out as fluffy as they would with the ammonium bicarbonate.

~Shiori~

Account Closed
Since its almost Thanksgiving for many on SF... when I was stateside I enjoyed yams/ sweet potatoes but didn't like if they were over sweetened with brown sugar and marshmallows so I found this recipe and it came out quite well. Maybe it will work for others.

Ingredients:

5 pounds red-skinned sweet potatoes (yams)

6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
4 large firm but ripe Bartlett pears, peeled, cored, cut into 1/3 inch-thick slices
3/4 cup (or more) pear nectar

1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon (generous) ground cardamom

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400°F. Butter 13 x 9 x 2 - inch glass baking dish. Pierce potatoes in several places with fork. Place on baking sheet; bake until very tender when pierced with knife, about 1 hour. Remove from oven. Reduce temperature to 350°F.

Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pears; sautée until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add 3/4 cup nectar; bring to simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until pears are very tender, adding more nectar if mixture sticks to skillet and stirring often, about 4 minutes. Transfer to processor and puree.

Peel sweet potatoes; place in large bowl of electric mixer. Add 4 tablespoons butter; beat until smooth. Mix in pear puree, sugar, cinnamon and cardamom. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to prepared dish

(Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.)

for reheat bake potatoes uncovered until just heated through, about 20 minutes.

Mr Stewart

Kobe beef - half portion

Go to university food court and find the counter with the cloud of steam and shouted Chinese billowing out from behind. Go up to counter. Shout -not politely say, mind you- shout, "HALF BEEF!!"

To which the little elderly Chinese lady behind the till will respond, at equal volume, "FIVE FIFTY!!"

This is your cue to pay the $5.50.

Observe your HALF BEEF as it is flipped and swatted across the grill. Once complete it will be tossed at several hundred miles per hour into an airborn styrofoam container, the two will make contact mid flight and fuse together to land, without spilling, on the counter in front of you. The man will say, "HALF BEEF!!" and whack his metal spatulas against the grill for emphasis. That is your cue to collect your HALF BEEF and make way from the next person.

This process, in wording, volume, and diction, is very important to ensure order accuracy. If you were to be a polite english speaking person and go to the till saying something like "May I please have a half sized order of the beef and rice combination meal?" you are very likely to end up with chicken, served on noodles, with hot sauce, full sized portion. Be warned. Do not make any inquiries as to why a group of Chinese people are in the business of selling what they call, but is not, in reality, kobe beef, which is supposed to be a Japanese thing.

Kobe beef - half portion
Go to university food court and find the counter with the cloud of steam and shouted Chinese billowing out from behind. Go up to counter. Shout -not politely say, mind you- shout, "HALF BEEF!!"
To which the little elderly Chinese lady behind the till will respond, Be warned. Do not make any inquiries as to why a group of Chinese people are in the business of selling what they call, but is not, in reality, kobe beef, which is supposed to be a Japanese thing.
ahahahahaha sweet

~Shiori~

Account Closed
Strawberry Tofu Sherbet
Ichigo Dofu Sha-be-to​

Ingredients:

2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled
1 (14 to 16 ounce) package silken tofu, rinsed and patted dry
1 cup corn syrup
½ cup fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon freshly grated orange peel

Directions:

Puree strawberries and tofu in a blender or food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add remaining ingredients; process until blended. Depending on size of blender, mixture may have to be processed in two batches. Refrigerate mixture until chilled. Freeze in an ice cream machine according to manufacturers directions or follow directions below if you do not have a machine. When frozen serve immediately or store in freezer.

Making Ice Cream in the Freezer: If you do not have an ice cream maker, ice cream and sherbert can be frozen successfully in metal pans or in empty ice cube trays in the freezer. Set the freezer setting to the lowest temperature. Freeze prepared mixture until slushy, scrape it away from sides of pan. Stir well to break up ice crystals. Freeze again until firm. Turn into a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixture 1 minute to incorporate air to lighten the mixture or beat in a food processor with a steel blade. Refreeze until firm. Serve as soon as possible. Ice crystals tend to form rather quickly this way causing the texture of the frozen dessert to deteriorate.

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

Green Tea Crepes​

This recipe sort of mixes East and West and was loved by many of my friends.

Ingredients:

2 large eggs
2/3 cup silken tofu, mashed
3 tablespoons melted butter
1 2/3 cups milk
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon matcha
About 1 quart of your favorite ice cream

Directions:

Place all ingredients except ice cream in an electric blender or food processor fitted with a steel blade; process until smooth. Pour batter into a bowl. Heat a crepe pan or an 8 inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Wipe pan lightly with oil. Measure about 3 tablespoons of batter, pour into pan. Roll pan to evenly coat the bottom. If pan is too hot, batter will not swirl to proper size. Cook 30 seconds or until set. Turn and cook the other side 30 seconds. Repeat with remaining batter. Cool crepes. In center of each crepe, place about 1/3 cup ice cream, fold sides over. Serve.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00