SF Cookbook Thread

WatchingPlanesFlyBy

Captain of the Catwalk
Hmm, I do love me some Japanese curry so here's my favorite recipe ;)

http://www.pickledplum.com/japanese-curry-recipe/

YUM!

@Jae I LOVE Adobo. I like to add leeks and bell pepper to mine but like they say "Every Filipino has their own version of adobo and they're all convinced their version is the best!":rolleyes: (dunno if that's the truth but it's what several Pinoy coworkers have told me time and time again!)

Innocent Forever

πŸ’πŸ₯œπŸŒ
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
@Freya this is for you :)

Oatmeal raisin (or choc chip) cookies

Ingredients

1 stick marge
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup oil (or apple sauce)
2 eggs
1 Tb vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups oats
1 cup raisins

Method
Preheat over to 175 degrees
Beat marge, sugar and oil until smooth
Add eggs and vanilla extract, mixing well.
On low speed add flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
Stir in oats and raising until well combined

The recipe is quite soft, will need tsp/T. to put onto baking paper.

Par Avion. (um, I'm sure I'm using the wrong words. Or, I know I am. I think I mean Bon Apetite.)

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I love oatmeal cookies @Innocent Forever , but does it matter what kind of oats you use in this recipe? I mean I have fine oatmeal, steel cut oats, and just the ordinary breakfast kind.

Last edited:

JacsMom

Staff Alumni
The following recipe is super easy and delicious....I can't get Heath bars here so I used Skor....you could try anything you like...

Brickle (I call it Chocolate crack because it's so addictive!)

40 Saltine crackers (one sleeve about)
1 Cup salted butter (don't substitute)
1 Cup brown sugar
1 12 ounce package of chocolate chips
5-6 Heath bars, crunched up for topping

Take your largest sheet or baking tray (make sure it is rimmed) and line it with foil. Then toss down your crackers.
Melt your butter in a saucepan. Add brown sugar.

The caramel will be pretty runny and that is good. Once it has simmered for a few minutes, pour it straight on the crackers. Try to get it kind of even, but don’t worry about covering everything.

Next, stick your baking sheet in the oven at 325 degrees for 5-10 minutes. Basically, you want the caramel to spread out nicely over the crackers. It should bubble a bit.

When you take it out of the oven, pour your chocolate chips on the tray right away. The residual heat from the oven will be more than enough to melt the chocolate. Let it sit for 5 minutes to melt

You can use those 5 minutes while the chocolate melts to crumble up your Heath bars. Again, don’t worry about making them even or anything. Part of the charm of this dish is the random sizes of everything.

After 5 minutes, use a spatula to spread out your chocolate and make the chips flat. Then sprinkle on your Heath pieces.

Put in freezer, till solid....then smash it into pieces....(it's therapeutic too lol)

Best kept in freezer or frig....

Last edited:

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
I discovered a most wonderful potato. It is called 'German Butterball Potato'. Grew it myself this year. Pan fried with salt, pepper and garlic powder its most excellent.

Rebreb

The following recipe is super easy and delicious....I can't get Heath bars here so I used Skor....you could try anything you like...

Brickle (I call it Chocolate crack because it's so addictive!)

40 Saltine crackers (one sleeve about)
1 Cup salted butter (don't substitute)
1 Cup brown sugar
1 12 ounce package of chocolate chips
5-6 Heath bars, crunched up for topping

Take your largest sheet or baking tray (make sure it is rimmed) and line it with foil. Then toss down your crackers.
Melt your butter in a saucepan.

The caramel will be pretty runny and that is good. Once it has simmered for a few minutes, pour it straight on the crackers. Try to get it kind of even, but don’t worry about covering everything.

Next, stick your baking sheet in the oven at 325 degrees for 5-10 minutes. Basically, you want the caramel to spread out nicely over the crackers. It should bubble a bit.

When you take it out of the oven, pour your chocolate chips on the tray right away. The residual heat from the oven will be more than enough to melt the chocolate. Let it sit for 5 minutes to melt

You can use those 5 minutes while the chocolate melts to crumble up your Heath bars. Again, don’t worry about making them even or anything. Part of the charm of this dish is the random sizes of everything.

After 5 minutes, use a spatula to spread out your chocolate and make the chips flat. Then sprinkle on your Heath pieces.

Put in freezer, till solid....then smash it into pieces....(it's therapeutic too lol)

Best kept in freezer or frig....
Seems pretty decadent.. Mmm..

I think there's a step missing tho - to make the caramel I'm guessing you add the brown sugar to the butter at some point?

Claudia UK

Here in the UK we have a delish snack called Flapjacks... found a recipe where you use Honey instead of sugar and they are delish and healthy! Made with porridge oats and dried fruits. :)

• 200g unsalted butter
  • 200g brown sugar
  • 200g honey
  • 400g porridge oats
  • 50g any dried fruit (optional)

1. Heat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease and line a baking tin.
  2. Melt the butter, sugar and honey in a large saucepan and remove from heat.
  3. Stir in the porridge oats and fruit if using. Pour the mixture into a lined tin and flatten to about 2cm thickness.
  4. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool completely in the tin, turn out and cut into squares.
Other ideas
Any dried fruit could be added, chocolate chips, chopped nuts. Whatever you choose or just leave them plain.

Substitution
Golden syrup could be used if you don't like the taste of honey.

Enjoy!;););)

Innocent Forever

πŸ’πŸ₯œπŸŒ
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Here in the UK we have a delish snack called Flapjacks... found a recipe where you use Honey instead of sugar and they are delish and healthy! Made with porridge oats and dried fruits. :)

• 200g unsalted butter
  • 200g brown sugar
  • 200g honey
  • 400g porridge oats
  • 50g any dried fruit (optional)

1. Heat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease and line a baking tin.
  2. Melt the butter, sugar and honey in a large saucepan and remove from heat.
  3. Stir in the porridge oats and fruit if using. Pour the mixture into a lined tin and flatten to about 2cm thickness.
  4. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool completely in the tin, turn out and cut into squares.
Other ideas
Any dried fruit could be added, chocolate chips, chopped nuts. Whatever you choose or just leave them plain.

Substitution
Golden syrup could be used if you don't like the taste of honey.

Enjoy!;););)
Can marge be used instead of butter?
This looks really good - and healthy! (although I guess with marge it won't be healthy. But for those who stay away from dairy...)

Claudia UK

During the summer month I make my own Ice cream and last week I made for the first time Lavender Honey .. taste absolutely divine !!! and you dont need an ice cream maker . ;););)

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Chocolate Moose
This nontraditional dessert will require a slightly larger refrigerator. "This is for VERY special occasions only β€” it takes a lot of effort, but the presentation is spectacular!"

Ingredients
1 moose
40 lbs of chocolate bars
17 cotainers cool whip
1 cherry

Directions
  1. Send spouse to Alaska to capture moose, or have one delivered by UPS.
  2. Meanwhile, melt chocolate in very large double boiler.
  3. Keep warm.
  4. Tie up moose with rope.
  5. Holding the moose by the tail, carefully dip in melted chocolate, covering it completely with a thin coating.
  6. Arrange moose attractively on large platter and refrigerate for 2 days to set chocolate.
  7. Remove rope, wash to remove chocolate,if necessary, and return rope to clothesline.
  8. Garnish chocolate moose with Cool Whip and top with a cherry.
  9. Serve immediately.
  10. Or you could just chew on the rope, which may be tastier.

Freya

Loves SF
Admin
SF Author
SF Supporter
Chocolate Moose
This nontraditional dessert will require a slightly larger refrigerator. "This is for VERY special occasions only β€” it takes a lot of effort, but the presentation is spectacular!"

Ingredients
1 moose
40 lbs of chocolate bars
17 cotainers cool whip
1 cherry

Directions
  1. Send spouse to Alaska to capture moose, or have one delivered by UPS.
  2. Meanwhile, melt chocolate in very large double boiler.
  3. Keep warm.
  4. Tie up moose with rope.
  5. Holding the moose by the tail, carefully dip in melted chocolate, covering it completely with a thin coating.
  6. Arrange moose attractively on large platter and refrigerate for 2 days to set chocolate.
  7. Remove rope, wash to remove chocolate,if necessary, and return rope to clothesline.
  8. Garnish chocolate moose with Cool Whip and top with a cherry.
  9. Serve immediately.
  10. Or you could just chew on the rope, which may be tastier.
Hahahaha! This cracked me up - thank you!

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Tap Water
A low-calorie treat with minimal preparation time. Cleanup is as easy as having paper towels on hand. "I have found that this recipe is subject to regional availability and freshness of ingredients."

Ingredients
1 cup water
1 teaspoon of water

Directions
  1. Place glass under tap.
  2. Turn tap on.
  3. Fill glass with water almost to top.
  4. Turn tap off.
  5. Season with additional teaspoons of water (optional)
  6. Use paper towel to mop up any spillage.
  7. Enjoy!

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Baked Camel
You may need to make more than one stop to procure the necessary ingredients for this recipe. "I'm watching my weight, so I substituted Egg Beaters for seagull eggs.

Ingredients
  • 1 large camel
  • 2 large lamb
  • 4 large turkey
  • 20 large carp
  • 200 medium seagull eggs
  • 400 large dates
  • banana leaf, as needed

Directions
  1. Cook the eggs, peel them.
  2. Scale the carps.
  3. Fill the carps with the dates and the eggs. Fill the turkeys with the carps.
  4. Fill the sheep with the turkeys.
  5. Fill the camel with the sheep.
  6. Dig a large pit.
  7. Place about 500 kilos of charcoal in the pit and light them.
  8. Wrap the camel in the banana-leafs and place in the pit.
  9. Cover with earth and bake for two days.
  10. Serve with rice.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Elephant Stew
Stock up on Tupperware: This hearty dish ensures leftovers for months. "IΒ’m sure this recipe is great, but I just couldnΒ’t find a pot big enough."

Ingredients
  • 1 elephant
  • 2 rabbits (optional)
  • salt and pepper

Directions
  1. Cut elephant into bite size pieces.
  2. This should take about 2 months.
  3. Add enough brown gravy to cover.
  4. Cook over hot fire for 3 weeks.
  5. This will serve 3800 people.
  6. If more are expected, the two rabbits may be added, but do this only if necessary as most people do not like to find hare in their stew.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00