SF International Dictionary

Discussion in 'The Gameroom' started by 41021, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 41021

41021 Banned Member

So, to be added to the SF International Dictionary, of which i have been a keeper of but no longer may hold that position, I am adding a section entitled; Thornisms. For instance; He (Jcat) sigh"ed" out The definition will follow in the upgraded version. Thornisms are quips and sayings unique to; Thorns_all_over

Feel free to add your own words to this Dictionary. i have heard several decent one's yesterday (such aw Bin-man/Garbage-man) and if i regain my wits about me, i may try to add the entire Dictionary Later (of course subject to editing by all members of course).
  2. thorns_all_over

thorns_all_over Green Thumb Staff Alumni

I'd rather be forgotten...
  3. 41021

41021 Banned Member

it's too late for that my friend,
    and you are well loved (((gentle thorny hugs)))
  4. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Bin-Man? Lol that's awesome. I hope you add more!!
  5. 41021

41021 Banned Member

Due to it's International coverage, SF chat can be slightly confusing at times due to cultural or regional language differences. As always, we chatters respect everyone. To assist others in overcoming these minor barriers I've been keeping track of words, phrases, even places. For instance, it has come to my attention that some Kiwis (NZ'ers) don't realize they are on an island, nor do they realize that some ppl do not realize they even exist. The shock to them must be fairly intense. I mean, just think about it; You live, WHERE? HUH? Never heard of it. So, included in the SF International Dictionary are maps. So, if you are talking on SF, you still exist. Keep Breathing my friends, and we shall add your map.

Chatters Motto; Everyone Counts in SF Chat!!!

You know, for instance a holiday. I'm going on holiday. Well, here in the states it's usually a set aside date that everyone has off. For example; A Federal or State Holiday. In other places a holiday is a bit more cheery, it's a vacation!! OH BOY! YAY! Imma gonna go somewhere or do somethin' or nothin'. Not a one day, get out of work free pass.

Another one is; Redundancy. It took me a bit to figure out what it meant to be redundant. I mean, i know the meaning of the word but as applicable to those in the uk, well, it's a bit different. Here we call it; Laid Off, Fired, Outta Work. There are Allotments (see Adam-it's not food stamps or monthly payments) and Rubbers (i won't go there), and going to A&E or ER, and so much more, but in SF Chat we speak them all. We break all the barriers down.

There are a number of other words as well (Aaron uses a few as do our Asian friends, and even those in Greece (some odd things have been shared from there*grin), a number of greetings, farewells (C_B uses), etc that will also be found in the SF International Dictionary. Locally, for me is the term; You'uns. Been here a few years and still can't grasp it. Or for instance when back east (usa) ordering a regular coffee can be surprising when it is returned with cream instead of straight up. Soda, pop, hoagies, so many more can be found in our SF It'l dict.

Oh, by the way, it's also come to my attention, and I think it is long past due, that we also receive our own constellation as we have many stars (SF Constellation). I have a couple ideas for this. If i myself can manage to keep breathing, i'll attempt to share. They do need to be honored and respected.

I am celebrating this day, so excuse me. I know i often do not make much sense and may make even less today. TMI

TL;dr SF dictionary. It's real. It's you. It's us. (and i think i'm polluted) HAppy Day Everyone!!
    edit; we need our own WIKI!!!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2013
  6. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

LOL! As a naturalised Kiwi (originally from the other side of the globe) I'm well aware that most Americans think (at best, if they really try hard to pinpoint us) that we're an actual part of Australia and not our own separate plug-hole of the world :) I mean, before we came to live here I couldn't even tell the difference between an Australian and a New Zealand accent! What a dag!!

Dag = kiwi for "how peculiar", literal meaning = a sheep-farming noun for the result of flies laying their eggs in sheeps' derrieres.
  7. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

LOL! sd.mar, you're very observant! Is an SF WIKI = "SIKI"?

Where I live, coffee straight up is "black"; ask for a "regular" coffee and comes with one cream, one sugar; ask for "double-double"...two creams, two sugars.
  8. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I've always said "soda," even though everyone else in my area says "pop." I've tried asking for a soda in certain places, and it was assumed I wanted some sort of concoction with ice cream, like a float I guess.

I've got several friends in the UK, and I came to learn that our fries are their chips; and our chips are their crisps.
  9. 41021

41021 Banned Member

Ah yes, excellent one; Fries n Chips
    And I'll have to add; Crisps. I wasn't aware of that.

LOL LOL @ Acy!!! Yes, it is very SIKI but....
    i must admit, there have been times i've needed to get a quiki on wikki (even a siki one)

*studiously adds; Dag to the SF Int'l Dict :) btw interesting. I should teach that to the backwoods sheep farmers around here lol sounds a lot like bots (bot flies)
  10. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Lol I always call it soda too...and just about everyone in Michigan calls it pop...they must find me odd. And my friend always corrects me, when I say chips, he says I need to say crisps...lol.
  11. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

I think "pop" just sounds ridiculous. It sounds like a term a child would use. I call carbonated beverages "soda". That is what it was called on the west coast (U.S.) where I grew up... I don't care if most of the people here in the Midwest call it "pop". I think it's a stupid name, and I will never EVER refer to soda as "pop".
  12. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Yeah, I find it odd too...but I find a lot of "normal" things unusual anyway....
  13. 1112222

1112222 Well-Known Member

In New Zealand we call it fizzy not pop or soda.
  14. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Well, to add to the beverages...we have egg creams, except they have no eggs...chocolate or vanilla syrup, milk and club soda or seltzer (club soda without salt)...those of us from NY City have our own dictionary which changes daily...of course
    our foods...there are Liberty fries now back to french fries...french toast, English muffins, Spanish rice, greek salad, French dressing, Italian ices, and never confuse Manhattan Clam Chowder (in tomato soup) with New England Clam Chowder (in cream based soup), New York Strip steak, and all the Chinese food that is served here that never has been served in China...the list goes on...this is just the start of The Big Apple (most plentiful fruit in NY, ergo the name) lexicon
  15. Cariad_Bach

Cariad_Bach Staff Alumni

I call A&E/ER the ED - emergency department, though that might come from having spent a lot of time in hospitals...
  16. 41021

41021 Banned Member

blood pudding and blood sausage? erm...seems the sausage is lustily eaten and even some appreciation of fond memories, even maybe by vegs???
    bone and rag man...who plays gawdawful weird sounds (poor poor ((Aaron))
    heard a few others but just opening a browser to add is too much atm.

NY will have it's own entry, a complete section actually, subject to change daily

what is curd? Ive had lemon curd, it was good, but no clue what it was.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2013
  17. Theodora

Theodora Well-Known Member

Home made lemon curd is lemon juice and zest, sugar and egg yolks.
  18. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Re: curd

There are also cheese curds, which are the solids that are strained of whey and then pressed and aged to make blocks or wheels or cheese. (I'm thinking of cheddar cheese, in particular, but cottage cheese is small curds in the slightly thickened milky glop.Cheddar curds are very salty and rubbery.)
  19. zaneknight

zaneknight Active Member

20. Theodora

Theodora Well-Known Member

Oops, missed out the butter! Lemon curd is unsalted butter heated gently with caster sugar, egg yolks and lemon juice and zest. It's luscious on scones, toast, muffins etc or as a filling for a sponge cake.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.