Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by Fishman, May 28, 2008.

1. Fishman

Fishman Guest

Do you think its shallow to dismiss a girls interest in you and not want to go out with her just because she smokes?
  2. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

No. It's not shallow to not want to be with a girl who smokes.

But you do have to assume that just because she smokes that doesn't exactly mean she is a bad person who can't stop her smoking.
  3. LostMyMind

LostMyMind Well-Known Member

It's not shallow, but remember she can always quit. You could be the reason she quits. :smile:
  4. snafu

snafu Member

Everyone has their preferences.
    If you can't stand her smoking now tho, don't assume she will stop later.
    It's a very hard habit to break.
  5. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

It's not shallow. It's personal preference. I mean woudl you want to kiss an ashtray???
  6. snafu

snafu Member

Not everyone that smokes tastes like an ashtray....some people use gum, breathmints, mouthwash....
  7. klodo

klodo Well-Known Member

Smokers often smell worse than people with really bad BO so its very hard to put up with if you are a non smoker yourself. Its not shallow at all in fact its selfish for a smoker to expect someone else to put up with it.
  8. Fishman

Fishman Guest

Yes and of course there is the fact that they would be running off every 10 seconds to have a smoke.
  9. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

if you liked her smoking wouldn't be such a huge issue. i'm sure smoking isn't the main issue here.
  10. Fishman

Fishman Guest

yes it is..its also a health hazard and unhygienic. So I could argue that if I really cared about her I'd get her to stop smoking.
  11. klodo

klodo Well-Known Member

Its usually only smokers that think it isn't a big issue.
  12. daytona0

daytona0 Active Member

i dont find it a big issue and dont smoke

Like everyone has said though, its just down to you. Personally i wouldn't be too bothered whether or not they smoked. Its kinda shallow IMO, as your judging based on a 'physical' quality and not personality, but a different level of shallowness than your implying here so its fine.
  13. klodo

klodo Well-Known Member

Perhaps its how sensitive your sense of smell is then. To me cigarette smoke is far worse than bad BO which seems to be totally unacceptable in a relationship so its hardly in any way shallow. Someone who ate dog shit could not smell as bad.
  14. daytona0

daytona0 Active Member

Could be the reason lol. But yea i respect that, but not going out with someone because of their BO is the shallowness i'm talking about - its not really shallow as its a quality that many find unattractive (Well everyone would find BO unattractive lol but not everyone [me] would find smoking unattractive). Thats the only thing. Its kinda like me saying something like 'i wont go out with a girl who drinks pepsi', it has the potential to damage their health and it rots their teeth. But this person could brush their teeth (same as using gum after smoking) before kissing you to combat the negative effects.

I'm not making you out as shallow in the traditional 'i only like her because she is good looking' sense, but i'm just saying that sometimes you have to compromise, as everyone has their flaws. If you have a laugh with the girl, and really connect then why let one negative thing ruin a relationship that has the potential to be something special?

Either way, i would not judge you as a bad person whatever you chose. If you chose not to go out with someone due to their smoking then fine, I can see where your coming from. Its just i hold, along with respect for you, a different opinion.