Sharing a story

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by GA_lost, Nov 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GA_lost

GA_lost Well-Known Member

In the Washington Post, a story about a young man who killed himself was written. They allow comments, and I want to share the comments I wrote in response to someone who said suicide was a personal right.

Hope you never have to recover from someone you love who killed them self. Suicide is everyone's business. It is not a personal right. Sorry for this young man. It is always tragic when anyone kills them self.

You need to ask that of someone whose loved one has killed himself. You would find out the depth of pain and guilt the survivor has. You need to ask that of someone who tried suicide and recovered from their attempt and their depression. That person is usually grateful for not killing them self.

Suicide ends up being a personal choice, but it never takes into account the pain and loss others feel. I have had to deal with depression, so I know that pain. Once I was less depressed, I could understand the pain others would feel if I had committed suicide. I am also glad that I never did it.
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

In my case this is true, just about survived and it's horrible to think what my poor family went through. I feel guilty but grateful I didn't end up a vegetable. That specific attempt, I should have died, they did a brain scan on me and my my mom and one of my sister had to say hello to me as I was going down because they might never be able to do that again (that's what they told me), I was in a coma, feel so guilty for what I put them through.
  3. dying_inside

dying_inside Well-Known Member

Hugs to both
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.