Shark video!!

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by poisonedresistance, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poisonedresistance

poisonedresistance Well-Known Member

please take a look at this clip

if you are even slightly shocked by what you see, please watch a short documentary that can be found in parts on youtube called sharkwater,,,

this will give you the whole picture.

warning can trigger emotional responses
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2009
  2. pit

pit Well-Known Member

I couldn't bear to watch it. I find that barbaric practice nauseating. Why don't the poor peoples of the world practice birth control, abortion and euthanasia on themselves rather than take it out on some poor, defenseless species?
  3. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

That was difficult to watch.
  4. poisonedresistance

Unfortunatly so very real

I have joined protests and sent emails regarding this to the so called 'powers that be'

if you want to help can show you how!

As soon as my degree is finished i intend to put my Diving to some good use and physicaly join the fight!
  5. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

Jesus. What the hell.
  6. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

yet another example of humans wantonly wasting resources. It was pretty lame. What the hell do they do with the god damn fin anyhow? And why wouldn't they just keep the shark to eat it?

Argh. Stupid people.
  7. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Unforunately, there's a large demand, mostly in asian country's for the shark fin. It is however, a global issue, as many countries participate in it for the large amounts of money they get for the fins.

I'll check out the site...I've already seen plenty of videos on the practice.
  8. MeAndYou

MeAndYou Well-Known Member

Yea there was actually a show on discovery channel (i think) where some activists went out on a boat to try and stop this. They werent that smart and werent that successful though (from what i saw)

Unfortunately its pretty legal in international waters and if its not theres not nearly enough resources to devote to policing this.

Our earth is, frankly, beyond repair. There are so many chemicals in the oceans its kinda too late. The plastic in the ocean doesnt biodegrade it just brakes down into smaller pieces which still carry and bleed chemicals into the water which end up affecting the sea life. It also ends up on our plates.

If you've eaten sea food recently you have a little more flame retardant than someone who hasnt..but pretty much the entire world population has these chemicals in their bodies as well. Flame retardant is being found in very high concentrations in dolphins which causes fertility issues and pregnancy issues.

The world is going to drastically change in the next 50 years. These chemicals are killing and poisoning not only the wildlife but us as well. Not only that but natural resources for energy is giong to be a huge issue, clean water is giong to be a huge issue not just globally but within the united states as well. People cant just bury their heads in the sand anymore.
  9. poisonedresistance

what i doesnt explain is just how important sharks are to our very existance.

sharks are one of the largest preditors in the oceans, they consume vast amounts of fish.

the fish they consume would otherwise be eating plankton.

plankton and phytoplankton are responsable for removing assive amounts of CO2 from the air we breath through photosynthesis.

so less sharks = more fish = less phytoplankton = more global warming

most of these fish are fish we do not inherantly connect with consumption ourselves, so assuming that we will/have eaten most of the fish in this case is irrelevant.
  10. pit

pit Well-Known Member

If you want to see something really cute, look at pictures of baby sharks. Maybe that'll give you the energy and commitment to protect the oceans against filthy poachers.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.