Should Assisted Suicide Be Legal

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by seithkein, Jun 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seithkein

seithkein Well-Known Member

I think so. I mean the US alone spend about 50 Billion dollar every year to suicide prevention and mental health. Instead of wasting all that money, they could make assisted suicide legal. They could create special clinic where you would go and get a deadly shot and then in 2 hour later you'll fall asleep and die.

It would save so much money and it would be a win win situation where the suiciders would be free of their mental health and the government would spend less money on us.

It's just a thought.

2. thebrain

thebrain Well-Known Member

Assisted suicide is something completely different than that. It is performed in hospitals with the assistance of a doctor when someone who is terminally ill and doesn't have long to live anyway wants to die and not go through the pain of say, leukemia.

3. Rachael41

Rachael41 Well-Known Member

I thnk it should most definetly be legal!
    if people want to end their life they should have the right to do so. i completely agree that its a "win win" situation. Suicidal people will finally have peace of mind and be free..
    I thnk that if a suicidal person was giving the opportunity 2 do this, (if it was made legal) it would b a prospect which made them feel happy.

i know it would make me happy . And im sure many agree.

4. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

can we move this to soapbox

i don't consider 50 million spent on mental health to be a waste. first of all, i'm not a waste of $$ and secondly, why would you treat mental health as something separate from regular health issues?

if you just change your statement to something like

you'll see where your argument falls apart. mental health problems are no different than other health concerns; it's just that one of the side effects of poor mental health is a desire to die. it's just a symptom, and a symptom that goes away once we are well.

5. Summer.Rain

Summer.Rain Well-Known Member

Well the goverment could do so but there is few problems with it.

First of all, you parents will never vote for such thing becouse
    in almost all coltures its a negative thing to do.
    What thay will vote for is to create new hospitals and such to "help" us.

Second, people see suicide as something that we as suicidial people
    dont controll and that its like it have controll on us even though deep
    inside us we dont want to die. Like a desies that controll our mind...

Third of all, as long as Christianity have the top countries under its controll
    there will never be such thing as death by choise becouse there is millions
    of ignorant people who think that only "god" have the power to deside
    who lives and who dies... And unfortuntly "god" is just illusion controlled by the pope. (Pope says, god says)

6. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

Why have someone help you then?? You say if people want to then they should have that right. That has nothing to do wtih someone helping them.

Assisted suicide like another poster said has alot to do with terminally ill people. no one is going to legalize suicide as a way to go especially when their are so many doctors, treatments etc. to help wtih depression adn suicidal thoughts.

Also like another member said I don't find 30 million dollars awaste of money. If it helps to save lives than so be it!

7. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

Why to save someone who doesnt want to be saved? Its a torture for him.
    I think the OP has a good point here. I support him. I think of this all the time, but I havent mentioned it here on SF.
    But, it shouldnt be just a hospital where you go, you say i wanna die, and they give you the fatal dose of some slipping drug (like morphine). It should be a place where you go, you tell them you want to die, and they are trying to help you, lets say (a week, a month) by telling you the other alternatives you can have, to help you somehow if it is possible, or to make you beleive that there is always tomorow and that things will be better. They can also give you AD and etc. And in the end, after all of this, if you are still sure that you want to die, they should assist you.

8. touglytobeloved

If there is a place like this, I would definitely go there, and also, Im prepared to pay for this if its necesary.

9. ~PinkElephants~

You are in a depression now, who's to say a week, a month or a year from now things don't change for the better. So you want to make it okay for a doctor to slip you a drug. What happens then to the hypocratic(sp) oath where the doctor's job is to save lives? Where is the line drawn and where do right and wrong come into play?

I'm sorry I'm depressed and think of suicide and if I want to die I'm going to do it myself. I'm not gonna go to some doctor and say shoot me up with something I want to die.

10. touglytobeloved

They dont have to be doctors, althought if someone kills me, he is saving me in some way... And if you decide to die, do you want to do it in some unsafe way where you can survive with a lot permanent damage to your body, or you like to do it in controled conditions where there is no chance for failure (asisted suicide)

11. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

Suicide should be covered by health insurance and HMOs.

12. touglytobeloved

A good friend for me:

ME: I cant live like this anymore, I want to die. (and then I am explaing him my situation)
    MY FRIEND: If me or someone can help, just say, if we cant help, its OK, its your decision, you can do it, Ill be sad at the begining, but sooner or later, I will accept the fact that it was your decision, and Ill be happy for you because I will know that you are not in pain anymore.

13. touglytobeloved

A good doctor for me:

ME: I cant live like this anymore, I want to die. (and then im explaining my situation)
    THE DOCTOR: (is trying to convince me that it will be better, but at the end he sees that he is not right, and he is saying that I should accept what I have and be satisfied with that)
    ME: I cant do that, i know i deserve more, but I cant have. I have nothing. I want to DIE.
    THE DOCTOR: Well, OK, when do you want to do it?
    ME: If I dont change my mind, I want to do it in 2 weeks.
    THE DOCTOR: OK, in two weeks be here, and a medical team will asist you and give you a fatal dose morphine, and you will not feel anything, its completely painless.

14. touglytobeloved

15. Lead Savior

Lead Savior Well-Known Member

If the person making the decision is of sound judgment, then yes. It should be legal to help ease anyone's pain in any way possible.

16. ~PinkElephants~

This is going to sound a bit off putting but I don't really care. If you are in such dire need to kill yourself without seeking help to better it than I think you should do it by yourself. You shouldn't rely on someone else to do it for you.

The whole legality of it will never come to fruition so hoping and wishing is all in all what it will be. I don't see any legislature passing that law.

17. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

I do agree that the legalization of suicide in America will probably never happen.

All I can do is laugh at the irony of our health care system.
    We pay people to keep us alive, but it's wrong to pay doctors to kill us.

18. pit

pit Well-Known Member

What can I say, America sucks. The reason it sucks is because it was founded by Puritans. And we still suffer under that ethic today. I'm seriously considering living elsewhere.

19. Smashed__

Smashed__ Well-Known Member

Before people go all "OMG i should soooo be legal!!!!!1" think about all sides. this is a complicated idea, that has many pros and cons.

Im fine with TRUE assisted suicide, so long as the person is in right mind and its their will. However, how does one prove this? If you make it all legal, angels of death who kill people who did not wish to die can easily get off. Think of how many murderers would use it as a defense?

I probably overly romantasize assisted suicide, but I think it can be the kindest act in the world and at the same time take advantage of many.

I just think its a lot more complicated than just making it legal, or just banning it(as it is). People suffer either way, and it would take a lot of time to go down the list and figure out how to cover your bases and prevent loop holes for criminals- should it be legal.

20. supermodel

supermodel Well-Known Member

I totally agree. Suicide should be legal. Who is the government to tell me that it's wrong. Its my body and I should be the one who decides whether I live or die. Its my personal choice!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.