Should Brazil/Qatar be allowed to host the FIFA World Cup?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Perfect Melancholy, May 17, 2014.

?

Should Brazil/Qatar be allowed to host the world cup?

1. Yes, they both should

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, neither should

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  3. Yes, but only Brazil

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. Yes, but only Qatar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Not bothered just wanted to click on an option

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Where is Qatar?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

Sepp Blatter head of Fifa, was quoted as saying it was a mistake to give the World Cup to Qatar in 2022 because the heat could cause serious health issues for players in the summer months.

given his omission, not forgetting allegations of corruption and the belief that Qatar brought the right to host 2022, civil unrest, and the scores of deaths of workers in both Brazil and Qatar do you think it was right that either country should be given the right to host the game?

Personally I believe he has brought the game into disrepute with his antics and behaviour and neither country should have hosted, one of the deciding factors should of been social/economic conditions and human rights records. Not forgetting people in both countries whom have lost their lives in poor working conditions on the stadiums.

2. arturvma

arturvma Active Member

3. Perfect Melancholy

really really strong video, thank you for sharing that. I used to work in International development and south america was always a region of interest for me I think that video highlights all the issues people don't think about, and how the guys at the top brush these issues aside.

4. Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut Guest

If Olympic bid corruption disqualified a host country, then the Olympics would never be held. Tom Welch was excoriated for promising a $100,000 college fund for the child of an IOC panel member in connection with Salt Lake's bid for Winter 2002. But that's how business is done--it's probably better concealed now, with a wink and handshake leaving no verbal or written evidence behind.

I assume soccer is about the same way. I agree worker safety is not up to snuff in either Brazil or Qatar. But the construction crews employ thousands and only relatively few actually die on the job. Americans tend to forget that nearly 40 workers died building Hoover Dam in the 1930s. The safety record got criticized even by standards of those days. Does that mean it shouldn't have been built? More than 20,000 people worked on the project at some point.

I think Brazilian and Qatari officials should be pressured to improve safety. But gradually--Safety is expensive to implement, and demanding everything at once is counterproductive.

A stadium itself can be considered extravagant in a country that doesn't spend enough on basic social needs like health care, as the video suggests. But if the stadium were scotched, does that mean the money involved would be given to the poor? I hardly think so.

I agree it's a tough, emotional issue--

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  5. Perfect Melancholy

Interesting point you make about the money not benefiting locals, I worked in international development before I moved into the UK based sector. One of the key things about that is getting companies and locals to work together so that when something big like a world cup or company moves into the area it benefits the locals ie improve local area job prospects the community at whole.

My point being most large companies are required to do this as standard in the western world, so should this not also affect FIFA, for example the Olympic committee who are allowing Brazil to host the Olympics demanded London 2012 be susistanable and benefit the community. (sorry bad spelling).

So therefore Qatar Brazil should be accountable along with FIFA for improving the rights, and therefore the sponsors who invest millions should be asking questions.

Just a thoughts

6. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

7. Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut Guest

Google screens are already bouncing that soccer ball, so I guess Rio is on. The Guardian might explain how you get a games gig canceled by public pressure--somehow, I don't see it happening unless another gulf war intervenes.

8. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

Not that I am interested in football either way as it is no longer a sport but a commercial enterprise but if asked I would say Brazil as Brazil has a far better team than anywhere as my bro-in-law Chris says who is a fan of The Saints (Southampton)

9. justMe7

(video can cause stress if you are prone to that).
    http://vimeo.com/95215527 Take a watch. It's a short video on Qatar. You know, I'm all for the bigger picture. Pushing countries forward, helping them expand/enforce their freedoms, their health, their education. To stabilize this world. But at what expense? If this video is accurate, this is not how you do that. I'm not interested in Fifa, nor the Qatar government or affiliates from the migrant nations that are creating this "feat". The ends do not justify the means. It's not just about doing it, it's about how you do it. And this is disgusting. We will fucking move forward, but the way we do it is wrong and unacceptable. Yet it proceeds and many unaware of these situations flood the gates when everything looks pretty.

This is wrong.

10. justMe7

Just to add to this developing abuse of human life and dignity
    I won't have anything to do with Fifa now. This is akin to the pyramids.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.