Should depression come with a life sentence?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by reprehendiballs, Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I first suffered a bout of severe depression when I was 15 years old. Having taken a large overdose of xxxxx I hid in my room. 'Treatment' consisted of pumping out my stomach then keeping me under observation for a couple of nights. I was back at school within 3 days, and to my knowledge was never spoken to by any sort of mental health professional.

One of the big factors for me has always been the idea that any time I fill out a job application, I am forced to admit to having been treated for depression. It seems completely wrong to me that bank robbers, muggers, burglars, embezzlers and con men, not to mention almost every other kind of criminal, are absolved of their crimes after 5 years. Yet because I was treated for depression once at the age of 15 I am forced to declare this on every application form I have ever completed (I am now 48).

Just recently I have applied for 2 jobs and in both received interviews which went extremely well with the interviewers being extremely enthusiastic. During both interviews I was asked to complete a health questionnaire and on both occasions I failed to get the job. I am convinced that being treated for depression was what turned them against me, even though I have never taken a day off for it. Now I am once again suffering from severe depression, trapped in a dead-end poorly paid and part-time job, I feel like my life is over. Even if I can get past my current problems, I will never get a better job since nobody wants some depressed loser working for them.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2010
  2. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

The way I look at it is, a company needs to know who you are. Not who you were. If you've had depression, and have overcome it, then there is no need for a company to know about your past depression. You've overcome it, you're a more grown individual. The company only needs to know that right now you are stable and competent.(even then, this is debatable)
    The big problem too is that if you mention depression, it sets off redflags for people, as you are aware.

I really would say, look after yourself against this sort of prejudice. Even if you are currently depressed, protect yourself from the stigma of announcing depression.
    People use work as a crutch too when they are depressed because they refuse to let their depression affect their work, which aids in recovery, in both professional and personal advancment.

3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Maybe honesty isn't the best policy in this case. Just leave it behind, say it never happened. Worst case scenario you lose your job when they find out. You're not under oath, you won't be going to jail.

4. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Where do you live? I know in Canada I don't have to provide any medical information of that sort and that if a 15 year old ends up in hospital with an OD they'd find their way into a crisis ward.

5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

No, ignore what I said. Lie. It's discrimination if they refuse you for it, but you can't prove it if you're honest and they refuse you the job. Just lie, get the job. If they bring it up later and try to fire you for it start a human rights action.

6. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

I can only remember being asked questions on medical history in the second stage of my application to become a special constable and even then, I'm not sure if their were any on mental health.
    Plus you can abstain from mentioning it, its not a crime and its not required.

7. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Life itself comes with a death sentence.

8. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Funny enough, death itself comes with a life sentence :)

9. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Chat Buddy

Lie hun, they don't need to know, I know loads of people that don't admit it because of the same problems. They are not supposed to discriminate but the sad fact is that they do. If you feel you can do the job then thats all that matters :hug:

10. Thanks for the replies, I find it hard to lie, and worry about them finding out when they ask my doctor for references. Most, if not all jobs seem to want me to sign a disclosure agreement and they will presumably ask my doctor to list any psychological problems I may have had. Of course you are right in that I am better off lying and hoping they never find out, than telling the truth and being certain they will. Nonetheless I still find it appalling that people with mental illness get branded and discriminated against in this way.

11. inno

inno Member

Are these jobs positions of trust? Regardless of whether they are or are not, it really sucks that they're discriminating against you this way. :/ You're 48; enough time has passed since you were fifteen for it not to matter. I just wouldn't mention it for now. :/

12. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Ok so your in the UK, can i ask what kind of jobs you are applying for? In cases for disclosure only the enhanced disclosure asks for your medical history. Dont mention your psychological issues and you will be ok. When they give you the job and it comes back that you have had psychological issues in the past and they call you in about it just simply say it was so long ago that you totally forgot about it. I know that there are discrimination laws in place in the UK but everyone knows thats a load of crap. Anyway yeah you dont have to lie just leave it out. If it comes back then explain yourself then

13. Underground

Underground Well-Known Member

Your medical history is none of your employers business. Just simply don't tell them, even if they do ask about things like that. Why is it any of your employers business if you've have/had depression and have wanted to top yourself a few times? Being suicidal or depressed does NOT equate to being a risk to children/vulnerable adults/businesses. Supposedly, anyway, the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 is supposed to protect you, however, I have no idea how that works in practice.

If you have to go through enhanced CRB disclosures, they seem to only disclose info if the Police were ever either involved with or informed of your mental health. For example, if you were detained by them, or went AWOL whilst sectioned, etc. If you're 99% sure the Police weren't involved (and thus probably not informed) do not say a word about it. I hate to say it, but when it comes to mental health, honesty is never best policy unless you virtually have no choice.

14. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Agreed. I told the university about my mental health problems to explain why my grades went to shit and instead of them being more helpful they required more of me to get back in...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.