Should I ask for help?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by AbusedandIgnored, Jan 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi Everyone,

I am unsure about whether or not I should tell my counselor about my thoughts about cutting. Sometimes I feel like I need it and I want to do it but for some reason I never do I don't like the feeling I get when the urges come and I am afraid that I will do it without thinking about it. The only thing I am worried about is her telling my mom. I am 16 years old so she can tell her. This has stopped me from talking about many things because I am afraid that she will tell my mom.

This is really bothering me I need the help but I can't ask for it because of all of this. I don't want to go to the hospital.
  2. b-rock

b-rock Well-Known Member

i think you should tell if you want to talk about it. I'm sure you can ask your counselor not to talk to your mom before hand, so that you are sure. Also, I understand that you don't want your mother to know, but she might be helpful and it could be nice talking with her. Also, if you want to talk you can hit me up. I don't know if i will be much help but I will be more then willing to listen and I won't tell your mom ;).
  3. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

I don't know the kind of relationship you have with your mum or your counsellor which can determine how best to approach "whether you should tell your counsellor about your thoughts of cutting".

If you have a good relationship with your counsellor and they see you as a responsible person, they might not tell your mum if you can show that you're not at a big risk.

Letting your counsellor know that you're having thoughts of cutting, they may be able to offer you strategies to help you deal with the urges, etc. If they don't know, they're can't help and the cutting can esculate and be addictive.

I hope you can make a decision.
  4. Special-Agent-Gibbs

Special-Agent-Gibbs Safety and Support SF Pro SF Supporter

Thanks for replying everyone my username AbusedandIgnored has been Closed this is my username now. I did end up telling my counselor about my urges she didn't say anything to my mom. I didn't really get much into it because I was feeling very very very uncomfortable but I did tell her.

Thanks again everyone!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.