should I be repenting of this?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by TG123, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TG123

TG123 Well-Known Member

I need to ask you guys this. This is a question I'd like to ask mainly other Christian posters but anyone who wants to answer and give ideas, I'm all ears to. I hope you don't think I'm a jerk but I need to know if this is something I need to repent of. During baptisms at my church today, this guy gave a real powerful testimony about how for years he was doing drugs and fighting in school and drinking before God helped him realize what he was doing was wrong and he found Jesus. He was actually considering suicide before he felt God calling him to turn his life around. It was really great to hear his testimont and I'm glad he is saved and was cheering for him like everyone else. Praise God!

At the same time as I listened to his testimony part of me can't help wondering how much teachers went home depressed or fell into drinking themselves or self-harmed themselves or attempted suicide or succeeded or had to go on stress leave or quit teaching altogether before guys like him decided to stop being idiots and hurting everyone else around them. I'm glad he made the right decisions but I couldn't push the question out of my head about how many people like me were messed up in the process. I hope that a lot of the kids I teach with will turn their lives around but I don't know if it would be easy to forgive some of them. Yet if I would like God to forgive me for the stuff I struggle with I also need to be forgiving.

The guy who spoke didn't do anything to me and I have nothing against him personally and I praise God for having turned his life around, but because of people like him I'd cut myself with a knife and go home and want to cry and felt I wanted to end my life. I shouldn't have let these thoughts even appear especially during the baptism but they did and I almost felt some bitterness. I feel like a jerk for thinking these things on a day like that and if it's a sin I hope God can forgive me. Should I be asking forgiveness for this?

2. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

You haven't done anything wrong. In fact you reacted quite naturally.

I don't think you really have done anything that needs "forgiveness".

So from a logic standpoint is would say no.

Now, I'll not pretend I have read up on the bible, but I have seen a little of Christian mythology and those types of feelings do tend to be regarded as sins. But I honestly have no idea if your's fit into the sin category.

Though, since it is a fear-based religion I guess it can't really hurt to repent a little bit if it's the difference between burning or not. Better safe than sorry.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

You've got a student you can't like, but what has made them the way they are? Maybe their parents haven't made much of an effort to raise them properly, maybe other teachers in the past have given up on them and written them off, maybe peer groups have led them down one path rather than another. So we can see that they have potential which hasn't been nourished and we want to help them... well ok, nice in theory, but unrealistic and frustrating in practice.

As a teacher, you shouldn't stand in isolation either. You rely on the support of parents, other teachers and the school. I was a teacher, I had an unruly class I could simply identify the trouble maker and kick them out of the class as the school had facilities for this. It's amazing how quickly the class quietened down after just one individual was removed. Also when I was in charge of the 'kicked out' group, it was surprising how easy it was to get on with them. They had no-one to show off to.

Maybe there's a way to improve the situation, maybe there isn't, but a lot of it is down to the faults and failings of others, so I think needing forgiveness from God is perhaps focussing too much attention on yourself.

4. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Well of course these thought appeared, unresolved situations and anger tends to pop up in the most unlikely places.
    Trouble with church services is that they can give you time to dredge up all sorts of hurts or thoughts, have had the oddest things go thru my head at mass. :blink:
    Forgive yourself, it was you being a human and God certainly won't hold it against you.

5. Entoloma43

Entoloma43 Well-Known Member

There is no sky-daddy watching your every single move, so no, you don't need to be repenting of that.

6. TG123

TG123 Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone. God bless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.