Should I Do It?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Buggsy2008, Apr 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buggsy2008

Buggsy2008 Well-Known Member

I've been thinking of 'coming out' to my best friend... he knows I used to self harm years back.. when I was like 17.. but he thinks I stopped a long time ago.. he didnt even know when i did it last year (and quit).

Now ive started again and given in to it being a permanant part of who I am I'm thinking maybe I should tell him.. I could hide it from him easy enough, but I thought if i told him it would be one less person id have to hide it from.

It seems all i think about now, apart from doing it, is hiding it so no one knows. it would be nice to not to have to hide it from him.. so like if theyre stinging or itching i dont have to put a brave face on etc.

What do you think? Should I? Or would it be seen as attention seeking? If I do, how should I do it?

2. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

its good to not have to hide them from someone, but at the same time, why are you showing them or telling them
    for the extra support? for sympathy? i think if you dont have to say it dont, whenever i told anyone even docs, i felt like i was looking for sympathy, or so they thought. but you know your friend and what you want best.
    if it will help then do it :smile:

3. Buggsy2008

Buggsy2008 Well-Known Member

I did it. . I told him via text late last night. It's just so i dont have the added worry about hiding it from him. Its harder to hide from him than anyone else.

He didnt whine or anything, didnt really say much.. he did say he might have a little whinge about it but thats all.

im glad i told him

4. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I think it helps when there are people you're close to that you don't have to hide it from. If he's truly a friend, he'll accept you for who you are and try to support you when you talk about cutting. It might help you to have someone close to you who knows.

5. xmda001

xmda001 Member

I have harmed for many years but not once have I felt guilty, ashamed or even questioned stopping. I know I have to be careful here because alot of people are new to it and are very scared about what the hell is going on with themselves regarding their own fear and loss of control over their self harming. I know that for me it is a coping mechanism and always will be but one that over the years has kept me clean. It has bit by bit built up to become an immense barrier against the need to start using again from a given 'reason'. To me it is a part of my life and is something I feel no embarassment or shame in doing. I know it is not the same for the majority of people but there must be others out there who will read this and be glad to know where my head is with this. Maybe I am wrong but at least it might offer someone some comfort or at least an explanation to something they didn't yet know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.