Should I get a dog?

Acanthi

I know this is a weird question...But how many people here have gotten a dog to help deal with depression or low moods?

I love dogs, and I feel like getting one will help me heal and become a more secure person. And healthier too. My working hours mean I'll have time to take care of a dog.

But, I feel selfish because I want to get a dog to feel better. It'll be my emotional crutch in a way and I wonder if that's fair on it. I also want to move countries one day but I don't want to give up my dog for that,.

My therapist told me it's ok to do something that will make me happy, and that I can always bring my dog with me...But I'm still undecided.

Getting a pet will also mean I'll have to move and get a proper bigger place. I'm prepared to do that eventhough it means I'll have to reshuffle my finances.

Anyway, any advice or suggestions would be welcome!! It's a big step for me and my furry best friend, any input will be welcome.

Brian777

Safety and Support
SF Artist
SF Supporter
Hey Acanthi, I got my last dog about 2.5 yrs ago, she belonged to a friend of mine who had to move to Texas and couldn't get a place that allowed them. He asked me to take her because I was the only one he'd trust to care for her the way she was cared for. I lost a dog before after 9.5 yrs so I was kind of wary, it broke my heart when my other dog passed.
Anyway, I would not be without her for the world now, she got me through depression and anxiety and still does. Having a dog is great for getting you outside and walking, you're never alone and they give you unconditional love.......
I don't think you'll regret getting one :) they change your life.......more like save your life.
Brian

But, I feel selfish because I want to get a dog to feel better.
A shelter dog really needs a home and someone to love them. You need to a dog to love and to love you. Win-win situation.

A dog that doesn't keep you awake at night barking might be a good match. A little barking during the day can be good though...lots of happy barks are just kind of energizing.

Getting a pet will also mean I'll have to move and get a proper bigger place. I'm prepared to do that eventhough it means I'll have to reshuffle my finances.
Maybe you could talk to someone at a shelter about what you want and what the dog needs. It could be that you don't have to move.

You could live with roommates in a house that has a yard if you think the dog needs space but finances are an issue.

Acanthi

Anyway, I would not be without her for the world now, she got me through depression and anxiety and still does. Having a dog is great for getting you outside and walking, you're never alone and they give you unconditional love
Those are some of the reasons why I want one, especially the unconditional love part. I think having a dog will really make my life better :)

Acanthi

A shelter dog really needs a home and someone to love them. You need to a dog to love and to love you. Win-win situation.

A dog that doesn't keep you awake at night barking might be a good match. A little barking during the day can be good though...lots of happy barks are just kind of energizing.
I'm looking at getting a shelter dog. I'd love a Labrador or a Corgi, but they are hard to find in shelters here, plus, a shelter dog needs love so much more. But I've never thought of it being a win-win. So thanks!

And yeah, I want a calm mellow dog because I'll probably be living in an apartment. How do I find out if the dog I'm looking at is calm though? Bit of a silly question I know...

Maybe you could talk to someone at a shelter about what you want and what the dog needs. It could be that you don't have to move.

You could live with roommates in a house that has a yard if you think the dog needs space but finances are an issue.
I'll definitely have to move because I currently rent one room in a house with several people. It's not a proper living environment, the mutual living spaces are used by the landlord as storage areas so we only have our rooms.

A yard sounds amazing, but most houses here don't have yards. I'll probably have to move to an apartment and get a smaller breed. Yeah, housemates are a consideration. I want to live alone so badly, but I reckon getting one housemate who loves pets too wouldn't be a bad financial move :)

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
Getting a dog for that reason is not selfish. A dog doesn't understand why you love and take care of it, only that you DO. It doesn't understand that walking it around the park isn't just for him/her but that it's helping you get fresh air, sunlight, vitamin D and exercise... all huge promoters of mental health and lifters of depression. The dog doesn't mind that you're using him, he only cares that you're taking care of him and want him and love him. Do it! As long as you're prepared to give him a long term home and not cast him away then go for it. :) Thumbs up.

Acanthi

Getting a dog for that reason is not selfish. A dog doesn't understand why you love and take care of it, only that you DO. It doesn't understand that walking it around the park isn't just for him/her but that it's helping you get fresh air, sunlight, vitamin D and exercise... all huge promoters of mental health and lifters of depression. The dog doesn't mind that you're using him, he only cares that you're taking care of him and want him and love him. Do it! As long as you're prepared to give him a long term home and not cast him away then go for it. :) Thumbs up.
Thanks Avalanche! I really need someone who loves me to come home too

nobodyknows71

For a Phoenix to rise, it must first burn.
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I know this is a weird question...But how many people here have gotten a dog to help deal with depression or low moods?

I love dogs, and I feel like getting one will help me heal and become a more secure person. And healthier too. My working hours mean I'll have time to take care of a dog.

But, I feel selfish because I want to get a dog to feel better. It'll be my emotional crutch in a way and I wonder if that's fair on it. I also want to move countries one day but I don't want to give up my dog for that,.

My therapist told me it's ok to do something that will make me happy, and that I can always bring my dog with me...But I'm still undecided.

Anyway, any advice or suggestions would be welcome!! It's a big step for me and my furry best friend, any input will be welcome.
Oh you should definitely get a dog. I have two cats and I love them to death. There's nothing better than when your down and they come and curl up on your lap. The fact you're weighing it up from all angles, and not just jumping straight in, means you'll be a great owner. Any dog would be lucky to have you.
Love and hugs x

Acanthi

Oh you should definitely get a dog. I have two cats and I love them to death. There's nothing better than when your down and they come and curl up on your lap. The fact you're weighing it up from all angles, and not just jumping straight in, means you'll be a great owner. Any dog would be lucky to have you.
Love and hugs x
Thanks for saying that! Your responses are always so sweet. *hugs*
I'm reconsidering it because someone pointed out if my money is all tied in a new property, I won't be able to afford to give my dog proper nutritious meals. I definitely want to get one one day though, I just need better planning.

Kira

•✮• SF Gelfling •✮•
SF Creative
SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
If you are able to get a dog without any problems then go for it! The house that I live in atm doesn't allow pets, however when I move, I'm only going to look at properties that allow dogs! My son and I have wanted a dog forever! We talk about our "future" dog and can't wait until it happens. The unconditional love you will receive will be amazing! Personally, I'm going to get a shelter dog but that decision is up to you. Wishing you luck with this! ox

I
How do I find out if the dog I'm looking at is calm though? Bit of a silly question I know...

I could have sworn that I already replied to this post. Oh well.

In any case, not a silly question at all.

You could go by breed reputation to some degree.

You could also spend some time with the dog in the shelter rather than adopting right away.

The shelter staff might also be able to advise you

Acanthi

You could also spend some time with the dog in the shelter rather than adopting right away.
This sounds like a wonderful idea. As much as I love Labs and Corgis, I think adopting is the way to go.

@Kira75 I can't get a dog right now either because of my living conditions, I'm seriously looking into renting an apartment now or buying one so that I can have more freedom and get a furry friend! I'm a supporter of getting a shelter dog too. Hope you get to adopt soon!

As much as I love Labs and Corgis, I think adopting is the way to go.
I suppose you could use a similar approach with a pet store...visiting and asking questions.

There are also people who will give away puppies too, so you might be able to find a Lab or Corgis that way

alice202

SF Supporter
Well I think you should get a dog - it definitely helps to have someone who loves you unconditionally! I don't think you should worry about the size of your place - what the dog needs is time spent outside and playing with him or her. Walking the dog is also a nice way to meet people where you live. Puppies are a challenge, but its worth it.

Acanthi

There are also people who will give away puppies too, so you might be able to find a Lab or Corgis that way
That's a wonderful idea. I think a corgi would cheer me up so much everyday. Just looking at videos of them toddling around makes me light up :D

I don't think you should worry about the size of your place - what the dog needs is time spent outside and playing with him or her.
I've not thought about it like that actually. But you're right. What matters is the quality of companionship. Thanks @alice202, you've actually taken some pressure off of me in terms of finding a new place! *hugs*

DrownedFishOnFire

Back into the wild where I belong. Out of your way
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Actually around my area, rescues are in desperate need of fosters. That means you help a dog by giving it a home (in some rescues they pay for the food) and they are responsible for the vet bills etc.

It can be a long term or short term foster and you still can give the rescue dog a fighting chance to be adopted by the right family. Its just an alternative if you're having second thoughts about a dog but want to love one and have the time.

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
Just be sure and take the time to consider all aspects of dog ownership. Get a breed that works well for you. Be aware that it is a long term commitment and that there will be expenses involved, including vets. If after considering all things carefully you still get a dog, love it unconditionally and give it a belly rub for me.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00