Should I get checked for cancer??

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by ThePhantomLady, Aug 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

Half of my family has died the past 1o years, most of cancer, and hereof some of bowel cancer.

The bowel cancer gene that is running in my family is one that can be maintained, mind. My mother has the faulty gene and every year (though she often postpones it) she gets a colonoscopy where they remove any polyps they find so she should technically never develop cancerous tumors.

My aunt doesn't have the gene but she also gets checked, though less frequently.

After turning 25 I was supposed to have my blood tested for the gene fault. I have been 25 since February.

My mother was supposed to give me a letter to take to my GP so it can get done, but she keeps forgetting and because of our strained relation I don't feel like I can put pressure on her.

I am losing my courage though. The longer I wait the worse it is getting.
    I know that if I do have the gene I will get checked like my mother does, and of all the cancer types that I could have this is at least preventable this way.

But I'm so scared how I will react if I do have the gene. And I worry that I might already have polyps... They normally don't develop before later in life, but my body has been through so much I fear it doesn't follow the norm. The people in my family that died of it were caught too late.

And seeing how bad my aunt reacts after her colonoscopies I'm scared of that too. (my aunt does have a very low tolerance for pain while mine is abnormally high).

Some years ago I had to go through a gastroscopy (tube through the mouth into my stomach) to check for ulcers, and the doctors hadn't used the stuff to numb my gag reflex right so I was chocking on it. I couldn't speak and when I tried to wave my hands to signal something was wrong they held them down.

I know a colonoscopy is the other way and I can still speak up for myself. (though some might disagree I don't talk through my behind).

I thought I'd wait until I got into therapy, but I've spent so long to get referred and waiting, just to be put on the bottom a final waiting list, meaning I don't get any help before next year.

I don't want to wait too long... but I also don't know if I can deal with the results... UGH!

2. What Ever

What Ever Active Member

That is a scary situation.

You said it yourself though: "I don't want to wait too long..."

3. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

In your shoes, I would get the blood test. It might mean not needing to do the colonoscopies as often if you don't have the gene.

The colonoscopy is "uncomfortable" but not really extremely painful., in my own experience. Sometimes people feel it more because they are nervous and that makes our whole body (inside and out) more sensitive. For me, the worst part of the procedure itself was drinking the gallons of prep and cleansing the colon the night before. That wasn't fun. But it was one night and the test the next day was quick and I went home right after.

Doing this sooner can put your mind at ease that you are doing all the right things should there ever be an issue to deal with. Worrying without doing anything tends to prolong and increase our fears.

Just my 2 cents, hun. :hug: All the best whatever you decide to do.

4. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I would get tested and not sure where you are get your colonoscopy and endoscopy done- I have had many and every time they use semi sedation- cannot remember anything about and totally out of it when doing so go it they give big dose of Demerol and sleepy stuff - and wake up recovery 90 minutes later so cannot even remember having done and no sensations at all. I would agree the
    "prep" is far and away most uncomfortable. Since you already are agonizing and having anxiety about whether have gene or not , knowing will not make it worse - you are treating yourself in mind like do already.

5. Yan12

Yan12 Member

It will be better if you get tested. In case there's something you'll be treated at the earliest.

6. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

I never found the courage to ask my mother for the papers I need to take to the doctor to inform them of the tests I need... Friday I was visiting mum and she remembered... she gave me them... I already have an appointment to see my doctor in the morning (about something else, about whether or not my scoliosis makes me elegible for raised benefits).

So the plan is I'll give the doctor the papers... I'm guessing they will need to give me a new appointment to talk the cancer thing through...

But... I can feel I want to chicken out. I have so much in my life already...

I am scared enough of the appointment tomorrow already... I always worry they will cut my dosage of pain relief... I take a lot daily, and I'm still in a lot of pain. I don't know what I'd do if they took away any of it.

I feel a bit stupid about being scared of the result... I am trained as a secretary for the medical field and have worked in a hospital... of all cancer forms this could be, it's one of the 'best'. If it's detected and I start colonoscopy (provided they are thorough) I should never actually develop the cancer...
    The only reason it killed my family members is that they didn't know we had that genetic defect and ignored all warning signs...

I just... meh. It's weird.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.