Should I get myself hospitalized?

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Anonymu, Mar 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymu

Anonymu Well-Known Member

I have OCD. My main symptom is intrusive thoughts that cause me anxiety.
    I was treated for it for a few years, and then I was fine, so the treatment stopped. Lately however, it came back strong, and yesterday I had an anxiety attack.

So I called my psychiatrist and arranged a meeting with her, because I want to get back on meds.
    I thought I will just be put back on my old meds, but she told me on the phone that she wants to change my treatment, and since I live alone (my parents are out of the country) she wants to put me in a mental hospital for a few days to see how the treatment works.

I don't know what to do. I was never hospitalized and reading on the internet, it seems that those places aren't very welcoming.

I don't know why I am so afraid, but I think it's because they have so much power over their patients. They can tie you up, drug you, lock you up, etc. I know there's no reason for this to happen to me, but my heart is beating like crazy just thinking about it.
    I am scared and I don't know if I should refuse or not.

2. red ribbons

red ribbons Well-Known Member

Being hospitalized could cause you further trauma. What if you saw your primary care doctor and asked for meds instead of a pshrink? Unfortunately, mental health records follow you all your life like medical records do.

3. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

I'm sorry you're having a bit of a time these days. Good move to call your psychiatrist, though. :)

A couple of questions you could ask her: What are the benefits of the new treatment over the old one? Why do I need to be hospitalized for this new treatment?

I suspect that if it's new meds, she's concerned about possible side effects and wants to make sure you're able to get proper care if you have problems...and since your parents are not there, she's suggesting the hospital. If that is her reasoning, maybe she would let you stay with a friend or relative for a little while, instead. Also, some meds need to be adjusted frequently until they find the exact dose you need, and the only way to monitor the patient closely enough is to have him/her in hospital.

I would talk to your psychiatrist again and get some info about her reasons for wanting you in hospital for this. I hope it all works out and you'll let us know how you're doing.

4. Anonymu

I have done some research on the hospital and my fears are confirmed. I found a video that shows a patient being tied up and beaten because he went out of his room. And I also found reports about patients being beaten by other patients and doctors.
    I decided to refuse. I'm glad I found these things before doing something stupid like allowing to be hospitalized.

PS: I should mention that I live in Romania (Eastern Europe) and the mental health system here is a lot worse then in the West, so I am not at all surprised about it. I will tell my concerns to my psychiatrist because I am curios about her response. But I will definitely refuse hospitalization.*

5. Acy

Wow, that is scary. I can understand your concerns. That sort of thing really doesn't happen in hospitals where I am, so I hope that the system improves soon for hospitals where you are. I'll be thinking of you. I hope that you get some sort of resolution to your situation soon. :hug:

6. Cpt-Fantastic

Cpt-Fantastic Banned Member

you should do what is best for you. if at the hospital you get the best help, then it would be wiser to do that in order to become better. plus at the hospital they cook for you, and do all the cleaning and stuff so thats better right?

7. HawthornePassage

HawthornePassage Well-Known Member

Varying levels of abuse happen everywhere, because people love to be in power/have no respect for the 'lower rungs' of society.

8. Anonymu

I told my concerns to my psychiatrist regarding the hospital and she tried to convince me that everything will be fine and that stuff like that is just a missunderstanding, but I still refused. She eventually gave up and let me start the new treatment at home.
    She really seems to want what's good for me and she seemed sincere, but I'm not risking it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2012
  9. letty

letty Banned Member

Good to hear that your on the new treatment, try to stay connected here if you can or with somebody just incase you start feeling bad or something. hang in there

10. Acy

Anonymu, so glad to hear you have started the treatment. Chances are nothing would have happened at the hospital, but I understand your feelings.

@HawthornePassage: It's true that varying levels of abuse can occur anywhere, but that doesn't mean they will occur. I agree that when it does happen, it can stem from the abuser's wanting control over people or a situation. The whole idea makes me sad. :(

11. HawthornePassage

given enough time and people they always occur

12. Anonymu

Yeah, people love being in control. I just saw some images from a mental hospital in UK where they were beating people. And there was a young girl ( in her early 20's) that was crying for her mother. But those fucks kept hitting her.

People with mental health issues need emotional support more then anyone, and yet they are being treated like shit...like for example that incident that happened in the hospital where I was supposed to go is about a 17 year old boy that had chronical depression. I am depressed quite a bit and I know how bad it can feel. That guy went there hoping that the doctors will help him, and instead they tied him up and beat him.
    The human nature is really sickening...

13. HawthornePassage

the first step to fixing the mental health system is being honest about it. stand up and scream IM MAD AS HELL AND WONT TAKE IT ANY MORE.

14. Alexgrey

Alexgrey Well-Known Member

You should do what your doctor says, she knows better.

And it`s a few days we`re talking about, It`s not like she`s gonna commit you forever in a hospital.

15. HawthornePassage

I agree, since they are doctors, they automatically know better than any non-professional. The first step to legitimate understanding and empathy is reading a textbook.

I would go further and say that even it took a lot longer, it's okay because it's saving that persons life. A professional is a far better judge of what a person should do with their life than that person them self. Since they are suicidal, they must be irrational and should have no say in matters this serious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.