should i go to a psychologist

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Cpt-Fantastic, Nov 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cpt-Fantastic

Cpt-Fantastic Banned Member

hey, couldnt sleep, its 4:30 am and today got this appointment with a psychologist but i have no idea what to tell her. i postponed this more often, usually it takes months to get an appointment and everytime i call in like an hour ahead to say i cant come with some excuse or another, but i think i should go, what can i expect (its a psychologist not a psychiater so she cant prescribe me pills or something, and im not the kind of guy that likes to talk about his feelings or something, so whats the point of going? what can it help?) furthermore, situation got even worse so thinking about doing something in the near future
  2. plshelpme

plshelpme Well-Known Member

i don't like talking either
    but psychologists are a great tool...

you can expect a very awkward first encounter...but it gets MUCH MUCH better, assuming the psychologist is right for you...i have a four week rule...if in four weeks i don't like him/her and they're not working for me, then i request to stop sessions...right now, i literally LOVE my psychologist...i don't know where i would be without her...for the record, my first psychologist was great...then i went through 4 or 5 that sucked...and finally, this last one is as good as the first one...

for me, also, because i cannot talk about ANYTHING, i write down everything i need to talk about (i actually type it and print it out), and then take it with me...and they're trained to address issues if you make them aware of it...also, i tell them i don't really like to talk...i tell them i hate being asked "how does that make you feel"...but i don't mind answering as long as they are capable of dealing with that, they work for me

so i think you should go, but write something down that you need to talk will save you the agony of actually having to say it...just give it a's worth at least trying it, no?

and if you need to talk, feel free to pm me...i'm in the states, so we're on a different time schedule, but i'm up weird hours as well (the best symptoms of depression: insomnia and fatigue...WTF?)

hang in there!!!
  3. Cpt-Fantastic

i dont trust them for shit though, do psychologists have the same vow of silence as psychiaters? and is it 100% secure that whatever i say will remain between me and the psychologist and not end in some easy-accessible system? what if i told her i hotwired a bentley and drove it into a lake, will she not report me to the police or something could i hypothetically confess how i robbed a bank and it would be 100% between me and her only?
  4. Cpt-Fantastic

im not gonna go, just talked with a girl who went there after a suicide attempt this is what she said:

"Once you're out of the hospital a lot of institutions won't hire you. You can't get health insurance. You have to lie on your job applications. People look at you like you're dangerous. It's real scary for some of my friends -- they think they're responsible. Trying to convince people that I was OK was the hardest thing."

why would i let that happen just for a damn talk with some woman who couldnt give a shit, to whom im just a number, ill try to get some pills i will find a way
  5. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

lullo you're not going to hospital are you..youre only talking to a psychologist..
    please go and make your own judgements about it..
    You won't know if you don't give it a go...won't hurt to go once and check it out...
    MY counselor (who has Psychologist qualifications) is brilliant..
  6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

No. As far as I know, the confidentiality rule goes out the window when there is a risk of suicide or self harm, I learned this the hard way.
    Although, after reading your other posts on the forum, I think you'd benefit greatly from the help of a psych. You need help, please get it before its too late.
  7. plshelpme

plshelpme Well-Known Member

if you hot wired a bentley or robbed a bank, they CANNOT DO ANYTHING...if you previously committed murder, they cannot do anything...psychologist confidentiality rules apply (i think to an even greater extent) than psychiatrists...psychiatrists prescribe drugs...they're doctors...they don't really give a shit about you most of the time...psychologists, on the other hand, usually went to school about the same amount as doctors, but they WANT to help you...that is why they became is completely confidential...your records will NOT be easily accessible by anyone...and, you are NOT just a number to psychologists (maybe psychiatrists) will have some sort of a relationship with your psychologist...

and idk what your friend is talking about?

i am suicidal...i talk about it to my psychologist all the time...but i don't have plans of harming myself or someone else...if they think you are a danger to yourself or someone else, confidentiality goes out the window...

you should give it a shot...
  8. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

If you think they could help you it probably worth a try. If you don't want to do the whole hospital thing just make sure you don't tell them you have intent to harm yourself or others and they won't do anything like that (i think thats correct).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.