should i or shouldn't i take my meds

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by keo09, Dec 19, 2009.

1. keo09

keo09 Active Member

lately i have stopped taking my antipsychotic meds because none of my family members wanted me 2 take them so i told my doctor and he said if your family love you they will tell you 2 take them i realy dont no what 2 do anymore am so confused :sad:
  2. bubblin girl

bubblin girl Well-Known Member

its not what your family want...its what you want...whats the best for you are the are the important...your helth is the important :hugtackles:
    My advice is to take your meds...
    take care :hug:
  3. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I completely agree with Bubblin' Girl. It's your health, do what you think is right :hug:
  4. keo09

keo09 Active Member

thanks 4 the advise i will have a think about it :)
  5. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

Why do your family not want you to take them? Your doctor is not going to prescribe something that they don't think you need. I'd take your doc's advice.
  6. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

Doctors often don't hesitate to prescribe, for money. Known negative externality, so don't put your full trust in them, anything can go wrong.

Like others said, trust yourself, if they help you, take them. It takes both parties to know if it works, you and the doc.
  7. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

Dr's get nothing for prescribing in UK. If you're going down the route of not trusting dr's don't go to them in the first place.
  8. keo09

keo09 Active Member

my family dont like me taking them because i walk round like a zombie allday
  9. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

But is not the alternative (ie having psychotic symptoms) worse?
  10. bubblin girl

bubblin girl Well-Known Member

maybe you should discuse it with the dr. to talk lower strength/dose or diffrent medication with lower side effect/strength.
    take care :hug:
  11. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I know meds are tricky (I was on Zyprexa for almost two years) but my advice is to take them, just to be sure.
  12. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

I agree. If you feel like you're getting at least some benefit from the meds, it's best to ask your doctor about any concerns you have instead of just quitting them. Plus, I don't know what they've got you on specifically, but sometimes discontinuing certain meds all at once can be dangerous (as opposed to gradually reducing the amount taken). So be careful about making those sorts of decisions on your own.
  13. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Ugh, your family sound like bigots. They probably don't want you taking them because someone might find out that you're "crazy", such bullshit (I deal with it in my family)

I'd suggest you take care of your health rather than worrying about your family's social status.