Should I quit my job? Drop out of college?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My part-time job is starting to get to me. I work in the book repairs section of the library. My initial job was putting the call number stickers on the books, but now I'm actually scanning the books and printing out the call numbers themselves--the latter is much more menial and boring. I first took this job because I hoped I'd learn about repairing books eventually. However, after seeing a couple of newer co-workers moving on to such work, I have little hope I'll be doing anything interesting soon. My boss doesn't dislike me, but she doesn't especially like me either. I can't tell if she thinks I'm stupid, if she's threatened by me, or if she simply doesn't like the way I handle books. :unsure: The pay isn't that great, either (I'm getting exactly 35 cents above my state's minimum wage). However, the hours are extremely flexible, the library is on-campus, and the work requires little social interaction, all of which are unlikely at better jobs. Any advice from those of you who didn't fall asleep reading this?

I'm also wondering if I should just drop out of school (which would mean quitting my job anyway). I don't care anymore about my classes or my grades, and I'm not getting much more out of the lectures than what I could get out of a good book or website.

I don't like school in general, though, and I never have.

The total apathy is relatively new--it started after a run-in with a bad teacher in 11th grade. I reported her because she was so amazingly inept--she didn't get fired or anything, but I don't regret doing it. I've been lazy about classes ever since.

Should I take this upcoming semester off? I don't look forward to joining the workforce, but I hate wasting my parent's money and getting myself deeper into debt if I can't make myself even care. (For example, I should be studying for a final exam I have in two hours or for one I have tomorrow morning--both of which I'm completely unprepared for--but I'm here, writing this.)

I'm feeling out-of-whack today, but if you can decipher my horrid writing, any thoughts on either situation would be greatly appreciated.

grape seed extract may help you get some of your vavoom back, suppose to help with anxiety attention.... all those things, it might bring you back... its only about fifteen or twenty dollars, and well worth it if it brings you back to where you need to be to succeed.

Melmoth,

If i am on your place, i will first find another job, either in the school or off campus, i believe you are in US and you are in fortunate land of opportunity, get job outside, find job related to your hobby. Find something which gives you confidence, kind of job where every day you achieve something.
If you find this kind of job quit the library job asap.
Concentrate on your studies, because it is worth stdying, it gonna be usefull for your whole life, if you will make some professional career through the studies.
You will definately waste your parents money if you are not investing it properly, any finanical investment should have good returns but if not then it is waste, if you willl not study and your parents are investing so much money on you schooling then it is waste, believe me a nice report card/grade willl give the happinees to your parents which they can't compair with the money.

Finally i know you can do it, if you are thinking about it then i am 100% sure you can do that also. I am confident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$170.00
Goal
$255.00