Should I quit work?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Frank Smith, Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank Smith

Frank Smith Member

I have never felt like this before. I lost my job in January of this year and never got a new one until late August. During the summer I had no money and with nothing to do, as you will all know, a idle mind can drive people to depression. And that is what it has done to me, to a point I feel like it has left a mental scar and it will take a lot to get me back to what I was before.

I am 20 and go to university and I am working over the weekends. The stress of university is one thing, but the fact I am in everyday and work weekends means I literally have no break and it's taking its toll on me. I am not too sure what it is about where I work which I hate so much (John Lewis); the pay is low and the work is tedious and trivial, so trivial I have often left hours early with no one noticing. Tomorrow I got to be in at 7 in the morning, as I do every week, and work a 9 hour shift which mostly consist of nothing really to do.

On the one hand I need the money. I have leant so much to my family that I am overdrawn and have a credit card to pay of. Such debts is also another source of stress. However, at the same time, I know this sounds extreme, but it feels like working is chipping away my humanity.

Any advice?
  2. shades

shades Staff Alumni

If you must have the money and no other way to get it, like a loan or something like that, I would say that you should keep the job. In this economic crisis, one cannot be sure that another one would be available.

I know it's hard...I had to do the same. But if you're young and healthy, I'd say keep it. Maybe if you can tell us about the job and the people there we can try and help alleviate whatever the problem is. Regardless, take care...I wish you the best...

3. Sparky55313

Sparky55313 Well-Known Member

I was recently a very high paid tradesman. Depression took hold and I lost my job. My credentials are great but I chose a low paying "tedious" job. I like the time I get to think about things I need to think about. There is no such thing as a "tedious" job. Keep it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.