Should I say something?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Failure, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Failure

Failure Well-Known Member

So there is a new guy in my class, he came a few days ago. Not many people have spoken to him as he seems shy and keeps to himself. People are talking a lot about him behind his back as he has noticeable cuts on his arm, most of them are of things such as "Satan" and the devils symbol, which people for some reason think is hilarious. It is only me that I know of that self harms in my class, so of course no one knows and thinks he's a freak. I am worried about him since I know what it feels like to self harm, and would never want anyone else to do it. Also, I am a bit confused as apparently in one of our classes today he was scratching with a sharp utensil at his arm, so I'm not sure if this is an actual problem or attention? I am not sure, I'm not going to judge, either way he is not feeling great.
    Sorry for the long post, but should I gradually talk to him about it and tell him that he's not alone?

2. Cicada 3301

Cicada 3301 Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

I'm sorry about this, kids can be really cruel sometimes. I would probably say try to get to know him first as just bringing it up could upset him. I think it's really nice that you are not judging him and are trying to help. I'm sure he will appreciate your friendship and maybe later down the line you could bring it up and mention that you know a bit about where he is coming from.

3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I think the best way to treat somebody that seems to be being mistreated for "being different" is to treat them as if they were not different. It would be a kindness to talk to anybody that appears lonely or shy and is new with few or no friends and talking about normal things is how you show you see them as a person and not a "cutter". Get to know them some and figure out if you can be friends or not. If so you both made a new friend, if not then at least be kind and treat him with respect like anybody deserves. When/if you become friends I am sure the cutting will come up and what you choose to share until then is up to you. If you think sharing you self harm also up front is appropriate that is up to you, but it is anybody's guess how that will be responded to.

You are a kind person for noticing and caring about somebody else. It is nice to know there are kind people out there concerned for others.

4. Failure

Thanks for replying - although I haven't spoken to him yet I will try today.

5. Failure

So he wasn't at school today/yesterday (its really early in the morning, I don't count it as Saturday yet), and some people were referring to him at Satan and saying things like "Satan isn't here today". I am sick of this. I explained to them what they are doing and they just laughed. Why can't we all grow up.
    I didn't get much sleep, max two hours, and I had a weird feeling, like when something happens I usually feel weird before it. I hope nothing has happened.
    This is probably the wrong thread to put this is, but my sleeping is out of whack; I only get a few hours sleep these past few days, when I'd either be wide awake or fast asleep. I don't know what's going on.

6. Rasputin

Rasputin New Member

When i was in high school, there was a girl that would cut herself wrists with a razor blade during class and i was the only one that would notice it. Ive always regretted not reaching out to her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.