• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

Should I seek a diagnosis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnE ehT

I'm 17 and I believe I have aspergers. I want to keep this short, so believe me when I say I good reasons to suspect so.

I'd like to discuss the benefits and drawbacks of being diagnosed with this condition. It's worth mentioning that I think I can make it on my own at this point, as I've spent a lifetime coping and learning social skills.

It sounds like a diagnosis would make life easier, but my concerns are that it'll automatically exclude me from certain professions, jobs etc.. That it may make it difficult to acquire insurance, that I could be seen as a liability.

Thoughts, opinions, and advice are appreciated.

aoeu

Well, I got diagnosed at 19 because I was having trouble dealing with people. Then I pursued therapy and determined that therapists don't care about diagnoses and only deal with symptoms. It was never relevant again. The end.

aoeu

Moving across the country and living alone for two years was really helpful... I haven't had much luck with therapy for any social problems, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$255.00