Should I stop drinking?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Forlornspirit, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forlornspirit

Forlornspirit Well-Known Member

It seems like almost every night I down at least a bottle of liqour.. I don't why, but it always seems to help with anything that's happening. I'm scared that MAYBE one day my life will be better, but I'll be diagnosed with liver disease (OR a variation). I've tried to stop, but I just can't. It takes at least a couple of bottles of vodka to get me drunk, so I never get that far. I'd just like to hear other's opinions.

2. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

Yeah, you should stop, honestly..Excessive drinking isn't good for you..

3. Sil

Sil Well-Known Member

Well, I guess you won't find anyone that will say that heavy drinking is good!
    I think you should stop, if it is too hard, try to slow down a bit every time.

4. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

Nobody will tell you to not stop drinking, of course it won't be easy, sorry I don't know what else to say, there's lots of resources out there for you though. I hope you can stop or at least cut down.

5. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

Hey man. Like the others have already said, heavy drinking is not great for you, but you already know that. My suggestion is try to replace this instinct or habit to drink with something else. I mean as in a hobby or join a club or something. Its just a suggestion that maybe you could try. Keep me updated on how its going though!

6. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

Sure, try anything to get your mind off of it, take up a hobby, something to pass the time and get your mind off of it, good luck, I know it must be a very hard habit to break. WAY easier said than done!

7. Forlornspirit

First of all, I thank you all for your posts.

Second, I've tried to turn my mind to something else, band (trumpet / Vocals) was one. It was good, and then we all just quit. Been trying ever since.

Third, I've tried to cut down the drinking to minimal amounts. Baby steps of course. But, everytime I do, I somehow get back into it in the blink of an eye. And it gets worse everytime. It used to be just a couple of shots in the morning and at night. Now, it's become a bottle a day. (Very expensive for my non-noticing parents) =/

8. RunningAway

RunningAway Well-Known Member

Hello :hug:

Keep trying. Is worth giving it up. Alcohol is a depressant and lowers mood - so probably not a good idea!

9. joyless56

joyless56 Member

Like...a pint, or a quart? Either way, like the others said, it's probably not good.

Still.

I drank about a pint of vodka a night...then, because I started drinking in the morning. I got fired. Went to AA, bought the program...became a rah-rah AAer.

Then I found out that not drinking didn't make me feel any better. None of that 'happy, joyous and free' that I was supposed to find, trudging down that road to happy destiny.

So I started again. The biggest downside has been the cost.

Of course, I'm 51, and have a much longer history of not feeling good; could be that not drinking will make you feel loads better.

I say, try it for awhile before you abandond the idea.

10. mad hatter

mad hatter Active Member

ive been trying to quit alcohol for about a year
    for me its not possible to be a 'social drinker' its either all or nothing
    so i have to go for the nothing route
    its the hardest thing ive ever had to do and im still not all the way there
    like someone else said alcohol is a depressant so as long as you are a drinker you will always find a reason to drink to make you feel better
    its a viscious circle!
    stay strong and get on the waggon
    lifes better without that wretched stuff!

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Find an AA group, anyone can say stop, but it's a real eye opener when the people telling you to quit have walked in your shoes.

Good luck man we're all praying for you.

12. Forlornspirit

Well, if you've ever seen "Sam's Club" water bottles, that's the measurement I usually go off of. I can really sit there in my house and drink out of the bottle itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.