Should I tell my friends I'm suicidal?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by Bruce, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Bruce

Bruce Member

The title sums up my question. The problem is I've only known these people for 8 months, but I feel more connected to them than I do to my own family and I don't know if they feel the same way about me. I'm afraid of scaring them off by telling them and I also feel it would be selfish of me to bother them with my problems. Has anyone here told their friends only for them to stop talking to you? If so please be honest with me. Thank you.

2. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

Maybe start off with a conversation about mental health.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  3. Bruce

Bruce Member

They don't usually like talking about things like that, but it's worth a shot. Thank You.

4. SinisterKid

SinisterKid Safety & Support SF Supporter

My one remaining real world friend has been very supportive, but he knows that I attempted twice. They were not ideations.

I would look for a way to raise the subject in a normal conversational way. Think how you might do that, but dont say anything about your own feelings. You could say something along the lines of, "I read online that [insert name] was being treated in hospital because they were feeling suicidal. How do you all feel about suicide?" Wait and see what kind of feedback you get and use that to make a decision about who to tell. That way, you do need to reveal how you feel before knowing how they feel about the subject.