Should i tell my parents im suicidal?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Pingu, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pingu

Pingu Well-Known Member

Should i tell my parents im suicidal and depressed? I really have no idea how they will react.. they will probably bring up plenty of questions i dont want to answer on, but i need someone to know.. and on the same time, i dont want to tell them, because i want them to see me as the happy person i been faking so hard to be..
    I'm at a 50/50 here, i have absolutely no idea what to do..
    if i tell them, im scared they wont take me seriously, or in the worst part, get offended, because they will think im depressed because of them (which is also true).. gosh.. i dont need to tell my parents, i just want somebody in my real life to know, someone that understands me.. but i have no depressed friends, and there is no way i can tell them..

Sorry if i posted this in the wrong section
  2. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

You never truly know unless you find out. I never want to find out how my parents will react so I'll never tell them. If you are seriously considering suicide it is probably best to tell them or guide them to find out on their own.
  3. Oak

Oak Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

If you can't bring yourself to telling them, how about writing them a letter and leave it on the table for them to read. It might shock them but might also wake them up and do what is needed to be at your side hun.

Parents wants the best for their children, do not undervaluate their sense of responsability and unconditional Love for you.

Explain how you feel, why you feel that way etc...... be as open as possible for them to fully understand how you feel. They will than you for it one day.

love, granny :hug:
  4. daniel2

daniel2 Banned Member

Hi Kewlcheese,

Its a tough call. The problem is whether they will 'react' or 'respond' to this declaration. You are probably the best judge whether they can handle it or not. I would suggest you first broach the subject with a counsellor at school or talk to your doctor (medical doctor) about it. These methods can lead you to the supports you need. After that you may want to inform your parents with the assistance of the counsellor. Parents can be reactionary to a revelation like this and it may hinder you in finding the support and help you need.

Hope that helps -

5. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

Some think their parents will react and will prevent you from getting help, some react and then calm down and are supportive afterwards with or without the support person who explains what is happening. It really hard decision to make, all i can say is you know your parents better than us, if you are scared you could discuss the topic indirectly and see their response but then they might ask you if thats is how you feel as well.

Its different for everyone, i hope you find one the answer

take care
  6. Dana..

Dana.. Well-Known Member

You should tell them so they can help you, if your worried, ring up childline or something simarlair and they might help you.
  7. TheWr0ngChild

TheWr0ngChild Well-Known Member

Maybe you should try, as someone else suggested, talking this over with a school counsellor or someone you trust first. Do you have anyone in your family apart from your parents who you could talk to? Maybe they could tell them in a way it would not sound so shocking? I don't know your parents personalities, so I can't really give any more advice.
  8. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Hi Kewlchese. If you are truly suicidal and there's a strong possibility that you will make an attempt, then you should tell them that you're suicidal. It's a lot better to tell them now than have them find your lifeless body later. But if you're just considering it, then you should just have a talk to your parents about what is upsetting you. If they are part of the problem, then tell them that. I know that you're only like 16, but I'm sure that they will listen to you.
  9. danni

danni Chat Buddy

I wish I told my parents but they found out the hard way and it wasn't good, If I have told them they would probably help me out. :hug: I hope things go okay with you :hug:
  10. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

One thing why you should tell them: they will try to help you.
    One thing why you shouldnt: they will worry to much, and they will think of you 24/7, whenever you go out, they will ask themselves if you are coming back or no :sad:
    Negative thing that also may happen is that they might become so much worried, that they will limit your freedom.
  11. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

I'm a parent of a 17, 15, 13 and 3 year. I only hope that I have made my children comfortable enough that if they were depressed or suicidal they would feel comfortable enough to come to me. Unfortunately some parents first reaction may not be good. But I think you need to tell them, not so much for them but for yourself. That's a horrible burden for you to carry alone. I agree with Daniel. If you are seeing a counsellor maybe set up an appointment to see with your parents where you can talk freely and someone will be there to step in if things get hairy. If not talk to a school counsellor or a teen help centre were someone can give you straight advice on how to deal with this. And you always have us here hun. Something else to consider is a support group. Real people in real time that fully understand where you are coming from and can help too. Good luck!!
  12. abyss

abyss Well-Known Member

being an inherent coward i have always been a big proponent of leaving letters. i can say all i want to say in them without tripping over myself or stuttering or losing my train of thought. that way everything i feel needs said gets said without interruption and intimidation. then they have the chance to hear it all, think about it, digest it, formulate their own thoughts and feelings, and then come to me with it when they are ready. it limits the amount of rash things said or done out of pain or fear, they are able to address it calmly and caringly and i dont have the frustration of chickening out as soon as i see that i've scared them.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.