Should I tell my parents?

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Lamp, Aug 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lamp

Lamp New Member

Hey everyone,

Im going to commit suicide soon and im considering telling my parents first. Just so we can say our goodbyes etc. Im just afraid they will feel guilty if I tell them and the end result (my suicide) remains the same. I dont want to give them the illusion that they could have prevented my premature death. I do however feel that I cant say my proper goodbyes in the form of a letter, nor do i want to spend the rest of my life in some institution. Ive fucked up most of the things in my life and i would like to atleast make my suicide do the least amount of damage possible.

What sort of approach would you take, and why? I would really like some input to see what other pro and cons are availible and what your opinions are on the matter.

Thx in Advance, L
  2. Arthur-Amelia

Arthur-Amelia Active Member

I'm glad you see you're thinking this thru and seeking other's opinions. I can say from first-hand experience that whether you tell them or not, they're going to be devastated for the rest of their lives. It is the single most painful thing any parent, sibling or friend can go thru, and the effects last a lifetime. There is no way to make it less damaging. That said I hope you do talk to your parents and let them know how you feel and I hope they genuinely give you the help you need to want to continue experiencing all that life has to offer.
  3. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Arthur-Amelia is correct. I lost my son to suicide and my once perfect life is now an empty shell. If you love your parents, trust them to try to help you. What is there to lose in trying?
  4. Lps

Lps Well-Known Member

Lamp - Clearly you're in pain. Give your family a chance to give you some comfort. Whatever is killing you, your friends and family love you and would never want you to be in such despair.

The strange thing is, no person is too lost to get found. Tell your parents you've been feeling depressed. It's human nature that they might be really afraid to hear this...because of course most parents are terrified of losing their kids. Try to put some energy into forgiveness ...forgiveness of your own flaws, faults, and whatever is hurting you...and don't be too hard on people for not reacting with the perfect way/perfect words. They LOVE you. If their intention is loving, be brave & just accept that love...don't push it away.

Sending you love.
  5. Black Beauty

Black Beauty Well-Known Member

I reckon you should tell them. If you're going to be dead anyway, what does it matter if you tell them or not? You won't be around to deal with them knowing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.