Should I tell my PhD supervisor that I am depressed?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by sorry_mozart, Jan 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sorry_mozart

sorry_mozart Well-Known Member

This has been my work week

Monday: AM - one tiny piece of work. PM - locked myself in the bathroom to cry.
    Tuesday: AM - stared at computer screen. PM - locked myself in the bathroom to cry.
    Wednesday: stayed in bed, feeling awful.

It's not that I'll be missed. I'm a reseach student so I'm supposed to be self-motivated. So long as I get the work done it doesn't really matter what hours I keep, which is why I chose that path in the first place. I have cycles of highs and lows and normally I get enough work done when I'm high that I can afford the lows.

But at the moment I've been low for so long that I'm starting to serously fall behind. I know my supervisor's beginning to worry. But I don't know what to tell him. Part of me feels like I am I just using my depression to make excuses for my laziness. I've just started a new antidepressant so I'm hoping that it'll help me pick up soon, but its effects aren't likely to kick in for another few weeks and in the meantime I've got no motivation and no energy.

What are people's experiences? Is it a good idea to tell? Or should I let him go on thinking I'm just lazy.

2. MrDepressed

MrDepressed Guest

In my experiences most people are pretty considerate about us with depression issues... maybe try and test the waters with it.. saying something along the lines that you are having serious troubles in your home/family/friend life and if they seam to be receptive or the what not, judge for yourself wether it would be usefull goin into more depth..

3. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Oh I would definetly tell him, no one likes laziness but depression can be understood by most people (everyone gets blue at some point).
    I would even tell him that you're on meds and won't be up to par for at least a couple of weeks. That gives him a time frame to work with.

ps hope the meds make u feel better

4. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I agree with Dev's advice and I, too, hope your meds take effect soon and you begin to feel somewhat more motivated.:smile:

least

5. jane doe

jane doe Well-Known Member

completly agree with them.....tell your boss

6. sorry_mozart

sorry_mozart Well-Known Member

Thanks to you all - that seems like a pretty unanimous response. Now ... just need to pull myself together enough to do it. :unsure:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.