Should i tell people i'm close to...

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by lonley_SA, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lonley_SA

lonley_SA Member

I’ve kind of been on and off about thinking about suicide for a few months now. I’ve had suicidal thoughts for much longer but I was raised Christian and use to fear what would happen. My biggest fear is the pain I leave behind. Thats a lie my biggest fear is botching my attempt and leaving irreversible damage. Should I talk about my suicidal thoughts with a couple people I’m close to? Would this lessen the shock and ease the pain for them if i were to go through with it? Or is it best to just go quietly if it happens?
  2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Nothing to lose from talking about it with someone you trust :hug:
  3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Well, personally, I've been abandoned by people after telling them in desperation... So I'd say not to.
  4. Vitreledonellidae

Vitreledonellidae Well-Known Member

i can tell you from my experience that i wished i would have told it to at least someone im close too, if i would have told it someone years earlier im sure my life would have been complete different, i can actually see myself being happy. But it never lessens the shock or ease the pain for the people close to you.
  5. mdmefontaine

mdmefontaine Antiquities Friend

hi.... am glad you reached out here. . we all struggle with these thoughts. we all understand what you are going through. have been through. on a lot of levels.

talking to someone you trust is always good - and yes, when if we leave '''early''' we leave behind wreckage. damage that never heals. we inflict wounds upon those who may deserve it and those who totally do NOT. and then we also end all our OWN chances to live a life, to have quality in our life, to have love and beauty and friendship. and you deserve better than simply to vanish.

the world is better if you are in it - so reach out - let us help you. . . . we are here for you hun :hug:
  6. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Hello Lonely,
    I have no friends except here on the forum. My family all know I am suicidal, but the subject never comes up when we are all together. I think if they keep denying it then it won't happen. From what I have read here on the forum over the past year, when members have told friends they were abandoned for different reasons.
    I think the best thing to do is get a therapist to discuss this with. I have been with my therapist for three years and she is great.At the end of each session she always gets me to smile and then she laughs at me. She knows I never smile. Give it a go they can give you a whole new outlook on life..Take care..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.