Should I try anti-depressants?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Moon_Penguin, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Moon_Penguin

Moon_Penguin Penguin astronaut extraordinaire

Hey,
    First of all sorry for spelling/grammar errors. I have no excuses, Im using my phone so have no spell checker.
    Now the main topic.

My dr has recommended antidepressants. The last time I had prozac i felt horrible. I just felt like a zombie. I didnt feel joy or sadness or anything and after a week i gave up. I told him this and he said it evens out after 3-4weeks and you can feel joy etc. I am also struggling right now with counselling. Its just really triggering me everyday, no matter what we talk about. Even when we just spoke about getting a job interview and i was on a high.
    Is this true that it takes a few weeks? How do you feel on them? Does it change your personality( other than aliviating depression)? Would it help or effect my counselling?
    Thanks for reading and any advice/ stories would be appreciated

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Anti depressants certainly do help. They will not get rid of your problems but will lift the fog enough so you can figure out how to deal with it. On average they take approximately 4-6 weeks before they start to work. One thing I am concerned about is saying you were on a high. Did it feel unnatural? If so, you need to take great caution with taking anti depressant medication. Also sometimes it can take a while before you find the right medication combo for you so don't be disheartened if your meds don't work out first time around.

MisterBGone likes this.
  3. Moon_Penguin

My mood does flucuate alot. Im either very high n feel great, amazing even, or rock bottom. Not often do I feel just right. Contentment is a rarety for me. How would they affect me? I know i could ask my dr but id rather ask some people who have had experiences with it. Thanks for replying

4. cymbele

cymbele SF Supporter

I am bipolar and my moods used to fluctuate like you described. My counselor diagnosed me with bipolar and the pdoc concurred. Now I am on a mood stabilizer and I don't feel numb I feel normal like I'm supposed to be. I am happy and sad just not just wicked happy and bursting into tears the next moment. I'm not an expert but only your counselor or pdoc can diagnose you but let them know how you are feeling.

MisterBGone likes this.
  5. Moon_Penguin

Thanks. I think I'll talk to my dr and see what he says. Hes really understanding and helpful, unlike many gp's.

MisterBGone likes this.
  6. Moon_Penguin

Thanks. I think I'll talk to my dr and see what he says. Hes really understanding and helpful, unlike many gp's.

MisterBGone likes this.