Should "legal highs" be allowed?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by *dilligaf*, May 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

I just saw this

What do people think?

I don't see anything wrong with them .. and have actually brought some in the past.

2. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Anything that mimics the effects of marijuana is a bad thing.... but that's just my opinion.

Marijuana makes most people lazy, lethargic and unmotivated.... if the whole nation started getting high society would break down.

Of course, laws don't really prevent much anyway. But it sends a bad message to legalize things like that.
  3. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

The thing I took made me ..... happy, giggly, and have more energy.

I don't know what I think anymore. There's a load of them, there's quite a few websites that sell them. Party pills, happy pills, energy pills etc
  4. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

There's usually always a bad side.... a negative side effect.... a drawback.

If a wonder drug truly exists that has little to no negative side effects, that makes you happy and gives you energy without any of the bad comedowns, it'll be hard to argue against it.
  5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I'm not sure.

If marijuana should be illegal, that should be illegal - since it's just chemically-derived marijuana.

Should marijuana be illegal? I don't know.
  6. MeAndYou

MeAndYou Well-Known Member

Marijuana is one of the safest mind altering drugs you can consume. And you forget that a large percentage of the population DOES smoke marijuana.

I find laziness, lack of motivation to be characteristics of the person, not the drug.

You say it sends a bad message to legalize things like this...thats the exact same political bs mentality that is hindering the legalization of marijuana. Read this article.

The government has more control over the distribution of alcohol than they do the schedule 1 substances. Its so ass backwards its mind boggling. Prohibition of alcohol was and still is a perfect example, and now unfortunately, prohibition of marijuana is as well. I actualy made a thread about this ill link it if i can find it...

I also find that drug abuse and addiction (to anything really) always has an underlying cause that needs to be addressed on a society level. Meaning you need to address those issues as they are the foundation for any kind of addiction/abuse.

And a fun trivia- Paper made from hemp is very environmentally friendly. In the time it takes a traditional paper tree to grow to maturity for harvesting the pulp for paper, hemp can be grown and harvested for paper 4-10 times over. It can also be recycled more than wood based paper.

*edit* heres the link
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2009
  7. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Scientific studies prove that THC in Marijuana causes slow reactions.

That is fact.

I repeat, legalizing marijuana sends a bad message.
  8. MeAndYou

It is also scientifically proven that alcohol causes slowed reactions...

The fact cigarettes are legal sends a bad message and kills thousands a year.
    Marijuana does not.

I would rather educate about marijuana even if that meant possibly sending a bad message, if that meant the end of the war on drugs. If that meant the cartels had no reason to bribe mexican officials, had no reason to assassinate, had no reason to corrupt, and had no means of gaining millions of dollars to help support this behavior.

I repeat; The War on Drugs is a failed policy.
  9. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

And you know what? If I had my way alcohol and cigarettes would be illegal too. :laugh:

Both are vile IMO.

In all seriousness, the cartels that assassinate people are usually doing so over much harder drugs than weed. Try la cocaina. Maybe we should legalize that to halt all the drug wars? I mean, that brings many people happiness too.

If you legalize marijuana then criminals will move onto something else to deal in.... something a lot more dangerous more likely. So using the "it'll stop drug wars/crime" argument is weak.

I know marijuana is not the most harmful drug out there, far from it. But it's scientifically proven to slow reactions.... that means people driving cars under the influence are a danger and that means youngsters taking exams under the influence are more likely to get lower scores.

Legalizing marijuana sends a really, really bad message and I will never support it. But thankfully for you, I'm a nobody and my opinion doesn't count, so you may someday get your wish. :wink:
  10. MeAndYou

You should have read that article. Marijuana is the number 1 source of income for these cartels. And you should read the thread i linked you to. I am in support of ending the war on drugs. That means NOT just legalizing marijuana.
    But politically (and realistically) marijuana is probably the easiest to legalize.

Well first of all you're not a nobody and your opinion does indeed count otherwise i wouldnt be having this discussion with you :biggrin:

I have both been under the influence of marijuana, and have been under the influence of alcohol. I say from experience it is far easier to coordinate whilst under the influence of marijuana. I dont, though, support driving under the influence of any mind altering substance. Having said that, people DO drive stoned, and people DO drive drunk. I'm not trying to say we should make driving under the influence legal. I'm saying we should make the possession and consumption of marijuana legal. Thats it. Just like alcohol.
  11. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Well what I mean is my opinion doesn't matter regarding whether it becomes legal or not. I might disagree with legalizing it, but the people that matter (the government) might well reach a conclusion in the future to legalize it. :)

You never know.
  12. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

Of course they should be allowed and so should a few of the illegal substances. I'm sick of the nanny state in this country. If you want to help people, then help them become more independent, not bog them down in endless rules and prohibitions.
  13. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I think they should remain legal.
  14. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I think all drugs should be legal and it should just be people's choice.
    So as far as this thing, definitely. We all use drugs in one form or another. TV is a drug, girlfriends/boyfriends are drugs. The internet is a drug. You can get high off of all these things, what's the difference if you use substances to get high?
  15. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Maybe it should. Who ever said this society is what humanity was supposed to do anyway?
  16. Random

Random Well-Known Member

If weed should be illegal, we should be able to outlaw anything. Hamburgers, porkchops, bicycles, ink pens, condoms, orange juice, the internet. Whatever. If we're going to hand absolute control of our lives over to some douchebag who thinks it's perfectly acceptable to outlaw plants, we deserve to live in the miserable world those people would force onto us.

Do you have a right to eat a ham sandwich?
  17. Pad

Pad Well-Known Member

I can't believe they made a plant illegal. They even made animals illegal here
    (pittbulls) Pretty soon it will be illegal for us to move a finger without letting a
    government official know 2 weeks in advance. I feel like there is no choice in
    this world- everyone looks the same and does the same things.
  18. shades

shades Staff Alumni

In the U.S., There have been chemical compouds and herbs, which, as soon as it's found to mimic any illegal drug, i.e. marijuana, speed, etc, they are immidiately banned pending further investigation by the FDA (food and drug admin.). I cannot think of any that were eventually approved.

This will never be approved as legal in the U.S. Also, I believe it is legitimate to analyze these synthetics for adverse affects as they are made up of chemicals which could have negative long-term affects.

They should legalize the ones they do know about, such as marijuana, and tax it as a means of funding the already desperate budget. But there needs to be some kind of control on those synthetics. Who the hell knows what's in them.
  19. anonymous51

anonymous51 Staff Alumni

Drinking alcohol makes people lazy, lethargic and unmotivated, it also makes people aggresive and make stupid decisions. The whole nation does get drunk, yet society hasnt broken down. If scientists have proven that alcohol has a much stronger effect than cannabis, why would cannabis destroy our society when society has survived an even stronger drug for so long?
  20. MeAndYou

I agree with you. This will not be approved as a legal substance in states Savlia has been banned in, and will probably soon be banned in every other state taht still lists it as a legal substance.

I dont understand what you mean by "control" of those synthetics. Prohibition of drugs has been and continues to be the best example of how controlling a substance and making it illegal to produce/possess/distribute, has the exact opposite effect. The government has more control over the sale and distribution of alcohol and cigarettes than any illegal narcotic. I think they could use the 40 billion spent each year on the war on drugs to educate about addiction, and treat addiction because as stated above, why should the government tell me what i can and cannot put in my own body.

I do believe there needs to be more research to see how harmful any of these synthetic substances are both in short term and long term but I would rather them tell us how harmful the food we eat is first. Cigarettes have a whole smattering of chemicals and carcinogens that do nothing but promote cancerous mutations of cells and big tobacco is still big tobacco.

Unfortunately many people see the effect of prohibition, and relate that to drug use. I.E. If only people would quit using drugs there would be no drug cartels and no drug funding of terrorism, when really its the prohibition itself creating this black market.

Theres a movie about the history of marijuana and how it became illegal (that might be the name but i dont remember......) which is very interesting and shows how those in favor of marijuana prohibition used both the scare of the opium trade and heroin coming from asia, as well as the scare of communism, to criminalize a plant. I think there are social dogmas and perceptions that hinder the end of "the war on drugs" as well as political corruption.

There is also plenty of evidence about the medicinal values of both the cannabis bud, and the cannabis oil and seeds. A while back there was a man in Canada on the local canadian news (you can actually find it online) who was growing hemp to make hemp oil and distributing it to people who had cancer. He claims it was used topically for people with cancerous lumps on their skin, (melanoma), as well as orally for cancer inside the body. Needless to say he was raided and arrested. It begs the question "Why is there not a tremendous amount of research going into what canibinoids and properties of marijuana cure or slow the growth if certain cancers?" Is it because you cant patent a plant? Is it because theres more money gained in cancer TREATMENT rather than cures? To think the cure for something that kills way too many and drains way too many more of their life, money, freedom and our government wont legalize this substance leads me to believe their are motives involved that dont involve keeping us healthy and safe.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.