Should Marijuana be legalized in your country?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by boo, Jun 27, 2010.

?

Should Marijuana be legalized in your country?

1. Yes.

49 vote(s)
    72.1%
  2. No.

18 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. What's Mari J Uana?

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

I watched a documentary recently that really got me thinking. It was called 'The Union: The Business Behind Getting High' and if you haven’t seen it you should go get the it now. It will open up your eyes to the truth and how America just isn’t the best it can be. The wrong people are in power and we are all suffering for it.

First of all, I am sick and tired of hearing about how horrible marijuana is. Wake up people! It isn’t. Don't allow the government to make you believe their lies. Come on, I thought we were smarter than that. For something so horrible it sure was popular since the beginning of time. Hmm, considering it is a natural resource we should use it to our advantage instead of robbing it of its power and amazing ability to help this planet and the people living on it. Since 4000 BC hemp was used to make clothes in China and in 2727 BC it was first used as a medicine in every part of the world. Seems like they got the picture! Damn, those Chinese....always ahead of the game.

Why kill off our forests when we can create hemp paper? Why depend on other countries for oil if we can use our best natural resource to make our own? Why spend billions on cultivation, imports and unnecessary procedures when we can grow endless hemp crops around the country and make our own consumer products for once? Isn’t it time we realize the amazing possibilities of this plant?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2010
  2. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Add a poll, boo.

I think yes, it should.

3. SmilePretty

SmilePretty Staff Alumni

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!
    i am all for the legalization of marijuana in the u.s. no one has ever died from it, its better for you than cigarettes and alcohol, ugh.

4. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Of course it should be legalized, and I would really like to see a good reason as to why it shouldn't be.

5. boo

boo Well-Known Member

So TRUE. All this time looking for peace and it's right here right there

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2010
  6. SmilePretty

SmilePretty Staff Alumni

this matter is very close to my heart, lol

7. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

yes yes yes yes...for all those reasoons u said and more...what a waste of resources that have been dumped into the war on drugs and it amazes me that people lives r ruined over getting caught smoking a little pot...crazy shit!

but there is hope in california and thats hopefully just the beginning...

8. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

While I really would appreciate if we could legalise cannabis I think this post is incredibly disingenuous.
    The first thing is it IS legal to grow hemp in the UK, Canada and a fair few other places I dont recall offhand.
    Their is also a difference between the fibre quality of actual production hemp and what is bred today to provide drugs and indeed, you cannot get high from smoking hemp intended for industrial purposes.

I also question its use as a source of biofuels, as I question all bio fuels. You do not provide an ecological benefit as burning alcohol gives less energy than petrol and gives off CO2, whether you believe thats a cause of climate change or not.
    Furthermore biofuels damage ecosystems, massive amounts of rainforest are being cut down in Brazil to set up palm oil farms. Biofuels cause more problems than they solve and too provide enough fuel to support any countries oil dependence you would have to donate every acre of arable land to the fuel crop. As for its use as paper, who gives a shit really, theres no shortage and we should be recycling more of it rather than creating more waste.

Also as for its use a medicine, the world used to believe that leeches would cure cancers, drilling holes in ones skull would relieve migraines and that drinking mercury would prolong life and using opium as medicine worked out incredibly well for China aswell right?
    Not that it doesn't have a medicinal use today but a tribe getting high thousands of years ago doesn't make something a medicine.

That said, I will agree that it is wrong that thousands of people are given criminal charges over weed while others make billions from more harmful drugs like nicotine and alcohol. Drugs which kills thousands of people DIRECTLY every single day while the drug wars tools are arguing someone might get high and hit a pedestrian, because that has never happened in history with any other substance.

All being said though I doubt any change will happen soon, particularly when the UK government sacks its chief scientific advisor for publishing test results showing the weed and MDMA are much less harmful than alcohol and Obama will do nothing in the states as he's pissed off too many of the democrats right as it is already.

9. pit

pit Well-Known Member

I know that Marijuana smells better than regular cigarettes. As far as addiction, I blame that on the addict and not the drug. For example, people can be addicted to food, and food is not to blame.

:Jehuty:

10. empty101

empty101 Well-Known Member

I have lots of experience with marijuana and the marijuana culture. I think it should be legalized.

I'm never smoking pot again in my life and I'm happy to say it, heh. I realized that there are much better things I'd like to do with my life and that weed just makes your brain turn to shit. It's not as physically unhealthy as eating french fries nor is it as mentally unhealthy as chasing money all your life so I don't see a reason why it shouldn't be legal.

Then again I don't ever want to be walking down the street and have to smell your marijuana. At least making it illegal makes most people hide it. I think it's kind of best for everyone that we keep it the way it is in Canada -- if you hide it and keep it out of sight it's acceptable. That goes for pretty much everything. So maybe I am for it being illegal.

11. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

:yes: please:stars:

12. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I said yes and have felt that way for a long time even though I don't care for the stuff myself.
    I will say this though and it is the only reason I vacillate and would love to hear from other member if the know...I heard from a cop that some of the worst car accidents she had ever seen were do to pot...that really surprised me to hear....has anyone else heard similar?

13. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I don't think marijuana will turn you into an axe wielding, foaming at the mouth lunatic a la "Reefer Madness" and it has some limited medical uses but on balance I believe it does lead vulnerable individuals to abuse far more dangerous substances.

I have no personal experience with it but my friends with OCD said it made their symptoms much worse. There are many studies too that prove it worsens schizophrenia. It is hard enough for societies to deal with the nastier consciousness altering street drugs. No legalization except for it's proven medical uses.

14. someone uk

someone uk Well-Known Member

i have to say that the science behind drugs research seems to talk about physical symptoms rather than mental ones, i mean if weed was legal there has been links to it causing schizophrenia.....well i have actually seen it happen
    so i wouldn't be quick to make an opinion either way until i see a full review on both the psychological and physical harm of drugs and how treatable the effects of the drugs are

15. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Maybe not legalized, but certainly decriminalized. In most countries that have tried to ease up on the criminality of drugs, they strike a balance in which drug abuse is subject to fines and penalties - such as having to seek rehabilitation. This allows drug users to fix the problem rather than be treated as criminals, which only compounds the issue by forcing them to flee from any help (for fear of punishment) and continue the habits that fund criminal enterprises.

16. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I too have heard as bluegrey has that it worsens OCD and schizophrenia so while I hardly think it will lead to increase in violent crimes it may be a crutch for those with mental disorders to get by without treatment and/or make those diagnosed worse.
    Having it made available for medical conditions such as glaucoma and chemotherapy induced nausea is a must as far as I am concerned.

17. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

Of course it should be legal or at least decrim'd. You can walk into any convennience store and buy numerous drugs and dangerous chemicals but marijuana still illegal, really? They put kids on drugs these days that have sooo many bad effects and even increase chances of suicide, yet they are legal and big business. People will get high off any thing so why is weed so bad and dangerous. how many people die from car crashes due to just weed? Where were those studies done saying cannabis causes mental illness? That just seems far out to me, another antipot propaganda, although I'm open minded. I smoke every day. blunts or the bong. I don't notice any bad effects, except some paranoia. Even if it does have bad effects it only last a few hour, dont smoke it again if your that big a pussy.
    A large percentage of californians are regular pot users does that mean that all these people are becoming more mentally ill? I really am interested in this.The us government did outlaw scientific cannabis testing, for what purpose? chinese used it as medicine.indians use it in their religious ritual and many other cultures have appreciated it through out history.
    Hemp is a plant alot more effecient any other. What about the studies that show thc helps fight cancer cells and shrink tumors in lab animals? and that cannabis increases melatonin levels drastically making it easier to sleep? The government outlawed marijuana knowing it has so many benefits and I personally can't find a good reason to explain it other than corruption and money reasons.

18. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

No it shouldn't. FYI I smoked it for 8 years so I do know about it. Blessings..

19. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

There are studies in Finland that suggest using cannibis in your teens increases the likelihood you get a mental illness and have to log on to www.suicideforum.com

The UK law is actually good(almost) as it it. This is a drug ok on a gentle recreational use and the law kind of keeps it from going beyond that. Stick this in a shop and bring everyone into the world of weed and you'll open it up to the devasting effects alcohol and tabacco has on our society and health service.

We should learn from those drugs, a little bit of alcohol and a little bit of tabacco doesn't kill anyone.

Everyone whinges about how the government milk those drugs for money and how less harmful drugs arnt legal, but it's because society is so hooked on these drugs we cant take them away.

Our society needs drugs because we are seemingly fucked up. It's costing a fortune, it's dangerous. We are not ready to add anything to mainstream, especially not something as uncertain as this.

20. empty101

empty101 Well-Known Member

Well using that same line of thought I could conclude that more stuff needs to be made illegal instead of legalizing pot.

So I've thought about this a bit more. I think it should be illegal to smoke it, deal it or be high in public but everything else is okay. Keep it to yourself and away from my kids and if you want to melt your brain away for a while I'm okay :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.