Should one live?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by astella, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. astella

astella Well-Known Member

As living is a waste of time, and we're all going to die in the end anyway, why should one live at all, especially if one dislikes being a human for whatever reason (for example, being a human means that you can feel pain, you are greatly limited in your intelligence, and you have a tendency to believe stupid things as a result of one of our many, many irrational tendencies: wishful thinking)?
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2008
  2. dreamer

dreamer Well-Known Member

We live to procreate. Everything else is secondary.

People are a product of their genetics and their environment. Genes are moulded from our evolutional environment. So basically we are a product of our environment.

Why some people get depressed is just a bug in the system.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

My cat can't procreate...
    Maybe I should kill her? :unsure:
  4. Bostonensis

Bostonensis Guest

If you cannot make it here
    on the surface of the earth try the bikini bottom.
    Spongebob is waiting for us.
  5. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

Whether I should or not, I am.
  6. Bostonensis

Bostonensis Guest

7. astella

astella Well-Known Member

That's not true. You're equivalenting our "purpose" with "what tends to happen". We don't live to procreate, it's just that those who procreate and produce offspring that are similar to themselves are the ones who are going to be most "successful". Whether we should live or not has nothing to do with the fact that humans--and most other animals--have a tendency towards procreating. We create our own meaning or we accept that there is no true objective meaning and typically do the former anyway.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.