Should Palestine Unilaterally Declare Independence?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Zurkhardo, Jan 22, 2011.

Should Palestine Declare Itself an Independent State?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
  2. No

0 vote(s)
  3. Not Sure

2 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

There's a lot talk about the Palestinian Authority going this route, especially as peace talks continue to falter. Though it's gone a similar route before, which gained it pseudo-diplomatic recognition since the late 1980s, this would (ostensibly) be an attempt go achieve full, independent statehood.

What do you all think?
  2. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Yes. But I'd imagine it's extremely hard to do so, since Israel has had a monopoly over basic human resources for their people to survive, such as water and medical supply. I've always wondered what it would be like if all of Palestine united against Israel for their independence through non-violent methods, similar to India's non-violent overthrow of the British there when India gained its independence. Israel already lost their moral ground years ago anyway.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2011
  3. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Interesting that you should mention that. There has been some talk among Palestinian officials and activists about encouraging more non-violent means of protest. It's already happened on a smaller scale in these past few years.
  4. Deleted SKU

Deleted SKU Well-Known Member

I'm not sure in all honestly what the effect of such a unilateral declaration will have. I'm not well informed on the conflict between Israel and Palestine, but it seems to me that it wouldn't make any real difference to the situation that people in that region are living in, with Israeli control of borders undiminished, continuing conflict over the west bank, and every other issue which still needs to be dealt with in that region.

Large scale non-violent protest, however, would put much more pressure on Israel, as long as it can be apart from any sort of violence on the Palestinian side/
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.