Should school kids be drug tested?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by thedeafmusician, Apr 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

On TV this morning there was this thing on about how a principal of a school was complaining about his students being forced to strip and be drug tested for an interschool sporting event. They apparently had no warning that it was going to happen.

Personally I think its too far - being made to strip and do a drug test in high school is slightly stupid. I mean, if say you take medicine for asthma or something and then you cant compete because you're on that drug, I think is unfair. Its not as if its for the Olympics, its just a school's competition.

What do you all think of this?

2. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

I think that people are so paranoid and so into believing that every kid in H.S. is on something that they have to drug test to prove it. I think having this happen at a competition in a high school is a bit too far. It invades so much privacy and it's not good b/c you can't walk away saying "you're invading my privacy" because they will automatically think that you are walking awya b/c you've got something to hide. It's sad how I look back at my high school days and the only thing people were worried about was smoking on school grounds or whether or not your child was doing well in school. I'm 27, i graduated about 10 years ago and within those 10 years people have gone completely paranoid, have stretched the boundaries of invading peoples privacy. I think more people (parents included) need to worry about their kids and if they are doing drugs rather than pushing the issue so much and forcing theminto drug tests when it's completely not warranted.

I think this will be a good debate TDM

3. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

WOW whatever happened to civil rights!!!

4. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I think this is absolutely appalling.

I can see scanning kids with a metal detector might happen, and for good reason, but this seems totally OTT.

The whole strip searching thing is awful and not fair on those kids. Hopefully parents will complain against that school. And the head should have take his kids back to his school to protect them. I'm appalled he let that happen.

5. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

OMG just had a horrible thought. Can you imagine the impact of a strip search on a child who is or has suffered sexual abuse!!! it don't bear thinking about:sad:

6. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Yeah, I thought that, or someone who self harms, or who has illnesses that affect the body or something like that

7. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Can they do that? :mellow: Wow.. that's harsh. These are children, pre-adults. Honestly, if I had a kid and they tried to pull that sort of shit on him/her..

Do you by chance have any links on this? That's wrong. I know cerrtain sports are taken very seriously in highschool, but.. forceing a child who by common practice attends a public/private school like almost every other single child in society should not be forced to go through that. What ever happened to doing something for the sport? That kills it in my opinon, and it was also not announced? Talk about dropping a bomb of invasion of your personal privacy,.. on a child. What the heck is a 17 year old going to say? Or a parent for that matter being put on the spot. If they refuse, they're going to create such a 'issue' no matter what reason they present.

Not insulting the comprehension of a highschool student, but there are many who simply go with the flow when it comes to authority and authorities 'logic'. Anyone can make a 'straight forward, justified reason' for anything. When it comes from an authority figure trying to 'protect' and make the games 'fair and balanced', and dropping that on a teenager, ... I'm sorry, but that's just wrong to make them have to choose such a very personal and important choice like that, and on the spot. Hell, when you were in highschool, how many friends and people did you know who didn't really have a single clue about who they are? How is someone like that going to stand up for themselves? Shouldn't these organisations be protecting the spirt of the game and the lives of our children instead of forceing them into corners and down paths they really shouldnt have to be walking, especially when it's school related?.. Why the fuck does society excessively need to taint things because a certain number of people ruin the situation by their personal actions.

Exactly

8. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Agreed. Our country is talking about drugs testing in school, too. Whilst I understand there is a large raise in drug use with young people, I think this is going a bit far. You know, I can't recall being taught about drugs. Well, we spent one hour being talked to by a police woman and being shown some of the drugs but it wasn't that effective. I think shock tactics can be a good thing and maybe showing pictures or explaining the negative things about drug use and how it can negatively effect the body. Eh. Yeah, the pictures could be a little gruesome, so maybe that wouldn't be a great idea especially for the younger kids, but how else are we going to drum it in?

I read a story a few weeks ago and the report said the number of people not taking drugs will become the minority and I find that quite worrying. 700 young people in a part of England were questioned over 3 years between the ages of 14 - 16 and over half had taken drugs. Around 75% had been offered the stuff. These young people are the next generation, and something needs to be done. I don't know what, though. :unsure: Invading personal privacy by these drug searches is a bit extreme, I'd say.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2007
  9. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

The scary thing is that there was a poll run... apparently the Australian public doesnt agree - it was like... 70 something percent that BACKED the drug testing. IMO, they must have been drunk or something. Of course, THEY are probably adults that will never have to be tested. =.=

Oh, if you're wondering, there's a link to the story here:

http://ninemsn.video.msn.com/v/en-a...b0-99ea-410444589188&p=AUnews_AUtoday&t=m2397

TDM

10. Saoirse

Saoirse Guest

Well the strip searching I don't agree with but I don't see any harm in the drug testing for sports as in urine or blood samples.

The incident that occured was OTT but it was a voluntary sport, they could have just said no and chose not to play that game. Seems simple enough to me. Don't like something then don't participate in it.

11. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

For sports players, maybe, if there's indication of a problem, but across the board - NO. Drug testing is a great invasion of privacy and it forces people to "testify" against themselves. Besides which, it tells you what you can and can't do in YOUR OWN free time.

I'm against it on principle.

least

12. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

I totally agree with you TDM. That is just too far. And so unfair. :dry:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.