Should the Human Species CHOOSE to Go Extinct?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Mr. Goldstein, Jun 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Goldstein

Mr. Goldstein Well-Known Member

Most humans always have, currently are, and always will live in a state of extreme suffering, pain, and torture. Only a tiny percent of people live well (the world's elites). Given this fact, should the human species come together and agree to go extinct by no longer reproducing? Should humans take it even further and just end their current lives as well before they themselves end up in a state of extreme suffering, pain, and torture?

Is there any intrinsic value to the human species that it must perpetuate itself, even though its very nature is to treat each other extremely cruelly?
  2. *sparkle*

*sparkle* Staff Alumni

as pointed out before in one of your threads 'most people' surveyed claim to be happy in life... where do you get your statistics from saying that most humans are suffering or in or being tortured? i realise that there are people world-wide who aren't as lucky as myself or others here and live in horrific conditions - but that still isn't 'most humans'
  3. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Yeah... no matter what happens, I can never look at life through the view as a group. Im me, regardless of my species, or anything in life.

To be fair and honest with you, I think your view on humanity is very limited, even if your conclusions of our overall existence is detailed and extensive, it isn't so simple. I think you're focusing more on the negative realities and excluding the positive ones, especially for feelings.

But if you want an answer, I'm going to always say no to any query into this direction. We are capable of so much more, as individuals and as groups.
  4. Mr. Goldstein

I don't have any other threads.
  5. Mr. Goldstein

Interesting. Perhaps I should stop donating to charities since I am me, not them.
  6. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Are you trying to make a point by that? If you believe in the charities and that it will help people go for it. If you don't care then dont.
    There is a positive aspect to groups, but it is very different than the individual. There are groups for positive impact, groups for negative impact, and groups that are completely fucked but trying regardless. Ect ect..

The personal connection between groups and ourselves exist. You're twisting my point into something negative by saying ... well you're not saying it, you're just hinting at it. My point wasn't a selfish point, it's a point that we arent all the same and shouldnt be defining everyone by the actions of groups, or by the actions of individuals.
  7. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

If people say they're happy that doesn't mean they are, i think it is more an indication of attachment to their lives. Some don't even know they are unhappy.
  8. me myself and i

me myself and i Account Closed

I believe mankind will start to get it right one day.
    I think evolution is a big circle, many mistakes are made before lessons learnt.
    Sooner, rather than later, humans will be forced to treat the planet, ourselves and eachother with more kindness.
    Evolution.............................. lets remember the essence of this word means...... CHANGE.
    Perhaps it will take a great event like an asteroid collision, famine, huge world war.......................i dunno.
    But we have to hold hope, its the one thing all of us can have if we choose...............and nobody and i mean nobody can take that from us................but its quite easy to give away.
    I love my children with all my heart, i want a better world for them and their children too.
    When humans were in their infancy on this planet we call earth, i think generally we were a much nicer race.................i think that circle must complete its cycle one day and once more we will have self respect.
  9. BrinkOfExistence

BrinkOfExistence Well-Known Member

It would be impossible it contradicts our instincts to survive, yeah sure some of us have the capability to end their lives but thats an incredibly small number compared to all the people who want to live dispite how unhappy they are or how much they are suffering.
  10. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Most people are not unhappy.
    To describe most peoples lives as torture is simply ridiculous, even the most poorest find moments of happiness in their lives and some are happier than the richest "elites".

In the future, people will look back at the standards of living in the western world and consider us destitute, however they will be no more or no less happy than us, simply more comfortable.

Their is no need for mass extinction or death, certainly a more educated and less wasteful society as we cope with the planets limited resources, however in poverty or prosperity happiness will flourish and die in each individual, and thats what counts.
  11. Datura

Datura Well-Known Member

The premise and the questions are not being based upon fact, rendering this thread useless.
  12. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

I don't think we'll have to choose whether we go extinct or not. Planet Earth has its ways of wiping out species it no longer requires ;).
  13. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Let nature run its course. We can't take conditions of individuals (most of whom are not suicidal) and claim that, therefore, all of a species should self-terminate. I think nature will do a good job in getting rid of humans gradually and eventually.
  14. peacelovingguy

peacelovingguy Well-Known Member

We have no choice and are arrogant for thinking we have.

We should continue to exist and exist one day beyond this planet.

Good luck!
  15. Illusion

Illusion Well-Known Member

No. It'll just happen when it happens. Most likely something major will happen to the whole planet before the Human Species goes extinct. I do believe the population needs to be lower though but not cleared off completely. Plus, not everyone is unhappy. I know a good majority of humanity is but still not all. Not fair for them to give up their life just cause a majority of others aren't happy.
  16. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

"Should the human species choose to go extinct?"

You lead the way. ;)
  17. Mr. Goldstein

Evolution dictates that our current torturous environment will select for those people that have an innate drive to find happiness even when being constantly tortured, where as sissies like myself will not pass on their genes (I am not going to reproduce).

Wishful thinking: Star Trek is fiction, not the real world to come. The future is one of mass starvation, wars, genocide, massive poverty, and so forth. But as I said, this cruel environment will select for those that "can take it" and find joy in such harsh conditions, so humans will probably still keep on continuing on.
  18. Mr. Goldstein

I've come to realize that even under the most harsh conditions, most humans have the ability to still find enough happiness to want to keep on living and reproducing. I suppose that thousands of years of evolution has made most humans emotionally adaptable to extreme environmental stress, whereas people like myself are a very small minority born with inferior genes.
  19. Mr. Goldstein

May humans have plenty of children and "prosper" (a matter of personal perspective)! A toast to humanity!
  20. pit

pit Well-Known Member

You don't understand. That's what's killing the planet right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.