Should therapy be free?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by SAVE_ME, Nov 7, 2009.

?

Should therapy be free?

1. Yes

32 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    27.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SAVE_ME

SAVE_ME Well-Known Member

I've just been sitting here this weekend searching for what therapy is available in my area, and it's ridiculous how much they ask for per hour - £20 - £45....not to mention a lot of people who are depressed don't have a job to support themselves (myself included). So my question is, should therapy be free? Think about it. I know we all need the money in these hard times, but if you had something which you thought could benefit others' state of mind, wouldn't you feel better offering it to them for free? Why is it that these days only the rich can afford help and the poor are left to suffer?

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

There is free counselling in the UK, I'm not entirely sure how it works though, check it out :)

http://www.counselling.ltd.uk/index133.html

To apply you MUST be in receipt of either, Income Based Income Support, Income Based Pension Credit, Income Based Jobseekers Allowance OR Incapacity Benefit.

3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Psychologist should definetly should be covered just as psychiatrist are covered
    There help could help many and suicide attempts would decrease It is not fair only people with money get the therapy they need.

4. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

You don't have to go to a therapist to get therapy.

5. justmeonlyme

justmeonlyme Long Time SFer Staff Alumni

i think it shoud be free ive never had to pay for my cansaling but that maybe because i am under 18 im not sure.
    but then again my mate would have had to pay if it want for acc
    acc have resantly changed there thing so that if you have been abused then they will only cover cansaling if you are decleared menterly ill i think this is stuped it doesnt affect me but i no people who have been abused. i think in making it that you have to be mentaly ill before you can get covered by acc alot less abuse victims will not seek help and then i would think the risk of getting a mental illness will be higher.

6. LivingOn

LivingOn Well-Known Member

Yes, I think that counseling should be free for those who need it. I also think that antipsychotics should be free for those who need them. There has to be some kind of an intake assessment to determine who needs treatment and then to assign their case to an appropriate practitioner. I think that there would be fewer crimes if people could just walk in and receive counseling and enough meds to keep them stable.

7. SAVE_ME

I had to stop seeing my counsellor because they stopped doing the 'free young persons' counselling' and started charging.

And those who voted 'no', would be interesting to hear your reasons behind this.

8. lonercarrot

lonercarrot Well-Known Member

I think it should be up to the therapist or doctor to charge what they want. I know that it's available, for free, for young people. And all colleges and high schools have therapists there which students can go see for free.
    I guess they expect older people to have their shit together and be able to pay. $50 once or twice a week isn’t so bad.

9. SAVE_ME

For those who have that kind of money.....and I've been to school counsellors before, they seem to have a 'one size fits all' approach and think that if they throw a load of annoying platitudes at you, then it will all go away.

10. lonercarrot

lonercarrot Well-Known Member

Anyone who has a job and really needs some sort of therapy can afford it. It's only a matter of priority.. If someone says they can't afford $30-$50/ week, they probably just have other things they're spending the money on which they think is more important. For example, cigs or fast food or gas. A person can squirrel away a little each day if they need therapy that bad, they just have to cut other luxuries out of their life.

The counsellors at high school tend to suck, I agree. But the ones at college are fine. At least in my experience.

11. Aeterna

Aeterna Account Closed

Therapy is something that I'm not too sure on.

Normally I would say it should be free, as I am a vehement supporter of universal health care, and I consider therapy to be part of health care.

However, I would worry about an influx of people who request therapy but do not actually require any. Such an influx, I believe, would overload the system.

That being said, if I am not worried about an influx of people overloading a hospital under universal health care, I should not be worried about it happening to therapists.

So, I support free therapy for all.

12. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

Well at least where I live, the local university have a counseling dept that offers free therapy for those that have low income. I have found these programs in most larger areas I have lived in. If you are in the US and looking for a place keep trying, you may be able to find something.

13. Ordep

Ordep Well-Known Member

Should it be free?

Yes, absolutely.

Can it be free?

Nope, it's not sustainable.

There would be two ways to have therapy be free. One would be to have the therapists work for free as volunteers. I'm not even going to discredit that one, simply put: people have to eat.

The other that most people consider is that the government should pay for the thrapists income. While that might sound convincing, it certainly creates a few holes: first, that money would have to come from social security mechanism and tax payers money, and with the aging of the population in developed countries, the ratio of tax payers against retired people is getting worse and worse so nowadays the lack of funs to pay pensions to the elderly is already a growing issue in some countries (like mine). In the end you'd be asking for more milk from an already drained cow.

But most important, if the government had to pay for the total salaries of all the therapists in the country, the simple fact that the government's funds are limited would mean one thing right away: paychecks would get way smaller.

What would happen then? Many therapists would seek employment elsewhere (another country?) where they could get a better payment, and since the averange income for a therapist would go down drastically, so would the interest of students in graduating in psycology, thus leading to a decrese in the overall number of professionals. Even if all therapy centers in the country became state-run the effects would be obvious: the government would have to make budget cuts by closing many of those centers.

In the end, the final effect is a cheaper product (therapy), but the laws of supply and demand would move accordingly by making the product more scarce, and by making it free, I'd even say rare. This is the classic example of placing a limit on the price of a product: more people seek to buy it as it's cheaper but the manufacturers cannot produce as much with the shortened input, thus the supply suffers and the balance is broken. The use of this measures is actually one of the main reasons for the Soviet Union's collapse and was in theory one of the factors that lead to the stock market crash of 29.

But you may ask why then do some centers offer *some* free therapy. Basically, that explains why is therapy so expensive: those who can pay, pay for their service and make a (unwilling) contribution for others to also have therapy. Obviously some people end up falling into the hole this creates, but just like a military triage, economics is all about making the best you can with the limited resources you have.

Hope this clears it for ya why this and many others things that should be free can't be.

Edit: One way I think free therapy could work is if they used the television method: publicity. Say, a doctor would endose a certain pharmaceutical company and they would pay for his/her work. The obvious shortcoming is that I do beleive this is illegal (someone who knows the law better may want to clear this up?) but even if it's not, it's immoral nonetheless.

14. Scully

Scully Well-Known Member

Where I go it's a free center. If it didn't exist, me, and hundreds of other people, some so poor they can't eat, we couldn't have access to therapy. To me medical, like education and culture should be accessible for all, whatever their income, color, condition or religion. So I guess you know my answer.

15. morfea

morfea Antiquities Friend

Health care of any kind should be free for everyone. Can it be, that's another question.
    We have free counselling, but you can only get 15 minutes twice a month, only a few big cities have organized it in a way that everyone who needs it gets half an hour therapy at least once a week.

16. Ordep

Ordep Well-Known Member

I think the first thing I learn in business school was "nothing is free. If it seems absolutely free to you, then someone else is paying."

Even when you steal, it's not free because in the end, the person you stole from is (unwillingly) paying for you.

That said, if you have free therapy, you should ask yourself who's paying it for you. Maybe it's donations? Maybe it's the state? Maybe the thrapist him/herself (volunteering)? In the end, someone always pays. The only way to make something *seem* free is if the person who recieves the major benefit doesn't have to pay him/herself. That's the only way for something to be "free".

This can be done in some fortunate cases, but like everything good, donators are scarce, government funds are scarce and so are good hearthed doctors willing to work for no pay. I don't shoot down the idea that all therapy and medical care should be free because I'd love to hear a theory about how to make that work, it'd have to be really genious. But it's not an easy problem to solve and personally I don't think a solution exists within this world order.

Personally, if you as me, I'd rather pay for therapy and believe (maybe foolingly but whatever) that the government funds they're not spending on me will at least go to some more noble cause like finnancial support for the homeless or cancer research.

17. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

In an ideal world yes.

When I had no health insurance (which was a very short time), the doctors at the hospital told me there was a program where therapists offer their time and do "free therapy" if you agree to do an equal amount of time in volunteer work.

18. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

If I could get through this, I think I'd provide far more benefit to society than I'd leech getting free therapy and medications from the government. I don't think I'll get through this with or without that, however.

19. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

In the UK there is of course the NHS which provides some counselling and psychotherapy free of charge, but you need to be referred by your gp. Then there are charities, which often ask for some fee, even if it's as little as £5 and part of that is that it's a way of showing your value of or commitment to the therapy. And then there are the private therapists who can charge anywhere between £30-£100 depending on where it is and who it is.

20. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I'm torn on this. But after thinking about it more logically... yes it should be free.
    There are people being abused and misguided against their will, do they not deserve therapy?

I used to think the position I was in was my fault and so I don't deserve free therapy. But I am an advocate for free healthcare and mental health is exactly that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.