should they make a law no to text and drive?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by danni, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danni

danni Chat Buddy

2. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Here in the UK, it's illegal to use your phone at all while driving. It carries penalty points on your licence and a fine. Folks can use hands-free kits though, but even that isn't recommended while driving.

3. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Definitely. I think it's more dangerous than talking on the phone when driving. Saying that, I have been known to text when sitting at traffic lights or in stupidly long traffic but more often than not I wait until I'm parked up somewhere.

4. GoldenPsych

GoldenPsych Well-Known Member

I must say that I am guilty of using my phone while driving sending txts and reading them. I know i shouldn't but I do. I do put it on loud speaker if someone calls me while I am driving...if it is a person I want to speak to, if not I ignore it! I live on a main ish road and out my living room window I am amazed how many people i see on their phone or not holding the wheel at all. It suprises me considering it is 2 mins away from a main police station in the city. There are police cars going up and down all the time.

ANother thing that I have noticed people doing is messing round with their radios or ipods. That has got to be as bad as mobile phones but there is no law against that!

5. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

There must be some law that covers Ipods etc - driving without due care?

6. danni

danni Chat Buddy

I dont have the problem with the radio cause i can change the settings on my steerling wheel. They havn't made it a law over here yet but I can see why they want to cause your not paying attention to the road.

7. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Does anybody really need to be able to send a text message while they're driving? It's obviously a bad idea. If a person absolutely must communicate with someone whilst driving, it would be safer (Which is to say it's still not safe but safer than trying to punch in a text message) to place a voice call. How hard is it to simply pull over somewhere and send your message?

8. bleach

bleach Well-Known Member

Hell yes there should be. There are laws against talking on phones, listening to headphones, driving while intoxicated, and probably other things I can't think of, and texting while driving has to be more dangerous than all of those situations. For God's sake, if a vocal conversation is considered too distracting for the driver, how much worse is one that forces you to take your eyes off the road?

9. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Driving with a headphone on is legal in the US, driving with both ears covered, however, isn't.

Also, many countries have banned cellphone use whilst driving.

10. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

I know it's illegal to text and drive here in Colorado but isn't illegal to use your cell phone. The terrible truth is that there haven't been enough people killed for a law change yet.

11. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

When driving a car you should focus on getting to your desired destination safely and nothing else. I hate it when people are so ignorant that they think that they can do whatever they want behind the wheel.

Vehicles are machines.
    Some people don't realize the potential to causing harm to others.
    Most people think they can multi-task while driving.... that's how accidents happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.