should we keep trying or just give up

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
we all have pain some mental health pain some of us it's physical pain and for some of us it's both. for some of us it's mild pain and others it's severe. how do you decide to keep trying if you know this is going to last a long time maybe forever. for me i keep going for many reasons. my family SF being afraid of hell and i really want to live as long as possible to see what happens.

for me i get a lot of suicidal thoughts at night when i have pain spikes but i can usually redirect my thoughts. of course sometimes suicide looks like the only answer. so especially people with long term pain either physical or emotional how do you stay here and decide to live for at least another day at a time...mike

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I live for my friends and family and hopes to travelling to beautiful places. I live for music, the enjoyment in talking to my friends online and offline. The pain might be there but we only get one chance so its best to live it to the fullest and Mike, you're a great inspiration to us all here at SF, you fight every day and you win every day and we admire that so keep living for all the wonderful things you have on this planet *hug

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I live for my friends and family and hopes to travelling to beautiful places. I live for music, the enjoyment in talking to my friends online and offline. The pain might be there but we only get one chance so its best to live it to the fullest and Mike, you're a great inspiration to us all here at SF, you fight every day and you win every day and we admire that so keep living for all the wonderful things you have on this planet *hug
thank you @Champagne

Nick

☆☆Admin-tastic ☆☆
Safety & Support
SF Social Media
SF Artist
SF Supporter
I can't always put it into words my reasons for living. I do not live for my friends, but they do give me a reason to live. I just can't live for other people, it's a lot of pressure on me and them. The moments of happiness having a friend in my life brings, and knowing someone is there, does give me a reason to live. Moments of happiness, it's all anyone can ever ask for.

I'll likely be in pain for the rest of my life. It will probably continue to get worse. I'll likely struggle with suicidal thoughts for the rest of my life. I'm not counting on those things changing. I instead focus on learning how to live life with them. It is often the worst at two times of day, right after work and when I wake up in the middle of the night. I'm not ready to give up.

MosesY

Recovering Alcoholic
SF Supporter
Living with physical pain is my nightmare; I do not know how I would do it. Kudos to you, taking one day at a time. I live with lots of mental pain. My brain seems to focus every day on a mistake I have made in the past and then circulates around it all day long. That is the pain I deal with. I hope that today is a better day for you.

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
we all have pain some mental health pain some of us it's physical pain and for some of us it's both. for some of us it's mild pain and others it's severe. how do you decide to keep trying if you know this is going to last a long time maybe forever. for me i keep going for many reasons. my family SF being afraid of hell and i really want to live as long as possible to see what happens.

for me i get a lot of suicidal thoughts at night when i have pain spikes but i can usually redirect my thoughts. of course sometimes suicide looks like the only answer. so especially people with long term pain either physical or emotional how do you stay here and decide to live for at least another day at a time...mike
i don’t think it is a decision. i hate pain and thoroughly believe that suicide is a painful thing. i’m trying to “escape” my pain. yet it seems like a bad idea to do a painful thing as my last living act. but that is not my decision anyway. it just kind of supports my acceptance of my reaction to the situation which is i hate pain so much that it is too difficult to try it and that also, it is a case of fear and cowardice. i’m afraid of the risks of failure and resulting more pain. i’m not brave enough to face such adversity. and i have this unstoppable need to keep on living regardless of the degree of want/need to have it all be over with. then my spirituality kicks in too and i feel responsible to my spiritly self to stick with the investment i made by being here to begin with and my responsibility to the other spirits to whom i’m joined and in mutuality with.

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
i don’t think it is a decision. i hate pain and thoroughly believe that suicide is a painful thing. i’m trying to “escape” my pain. yet it seems like a bad idea to do a painful thing as my last living act. but that is not my decision anyway. it just kind of supports my acceptance of my reaction to the situation which is i hate pain so much that it is too difficult to try it and that also, it is a case of fear and cowardice. i’m afraid of the risks of failure and resulting more pain. i’m not brave enough to face such adversity. and i have this unstoppable need to keep on living regardless of the degree of want/need to have it all be over with. then my spirituality kicks in too and i feel responsible to my spiritly self to stick with the investment i made by being here to begin with and my responsibility to the other spirits to whom i’m joined and in mutuality with.
great answer

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
obviously there are times i just want to give up. sometimes i feel that way for a couple of hours sometimes days. but i always find a way to bounce back eventually.

but i want to live as long as possible (as long as i have some quality of life ). i also want my 64 dodge to be completely finished including all modifications that i want to make, that will take 5 to 10 years. i also want to see my grandchildren grow into adults and i can see great grandchildren be born and grow. i want to see a brighter future for me pain and illness wise. it's not probable but possible. and i also want to stay as long as my wife is still alive...mike

GMody

It's tough to live with physical and mental pain, especially when it's severe. But you try to live one day at a time and believe she me days we will be better, other days not so good. That's when a compassionate doctor can help not only by giving effective meds but by listening to your health concerns. A supportive network of family and friends help too. Mike you are an inspiration to me and many others here. Hope the pain lessens on some days and the meds help.

Dark111

FORMER SF SUPPORTER

I'm reminded of the line from Friedrich Nietzsche: “He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how.”

Of course mental anguish and/or chronic physical pain can at times make our lives utterly joyless and an endurance test more than anything else. But I also believe many people are suffering from a crisis of meaning too. People find themselves lacking direction and this in turn feeds into and amplifies the despair and hopelessness. Do you ever think about something you can aim for in your daily life, it doesn't matter how small, but something that might have some meaning just for you?

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00