Showbiz Parents

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by pit, Jul 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Would you have liked to have an overzealous, perfectionistic, abusive Showbiz Parent drive you to become a megastar like Michael Jackson? Or would you have liked to have a reasonable, affectionate, respectable Everyday Parent raise you to become a functional average adult?

I'm just wondering if the sacrifice of childhood is worth it to attain success, fame and riches.
  2. Account Closed

well considering the fact the MJ was the top pop start who
    gave the most charity to fight hunger and all that
    and then to look at ordinary people who gain success in business
    and then falling to corruption and greed
    then i think sacrificing the childhood is well worth it
  3. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

Okay rant:

I grew up in LA. My mother was a "stage mother". I was on diets when I was nine months old. I went into every type of training (dance, various music, modeling, acting, etc.). I did modeling and was in pageants from the age of six months. My mother chose my friends (bitchy little girls who tortured me and each other). My mother chose my clothing (nothing which other children were allowed to wear). Everything she did set me completely apart. I was a freak. Because I was a human being and could not live up to the type of perfection expected of me, it destroyed my self esteem. I was emotionally and psychologically abused for not being "perfect". I still have BDD and hear my parents and others inside of me, tapes, constantly, berating me with their expectations that I'll never live up to.

I pitied MJ. I always did. I pity them all who are children and go through the hells they go through that makes them into neurotic adults. And I'm grateful, I suppose, that I was so destroyed by the time I was seven that I was too fucked up to continue on to Holly"weird", as my parents would have wanted. I despise Hollywood and everything it stands for. No child should ever go through it. The proof is in the pudding of the adults they turn out to be.

I'm glad he's out of his misery.
  4. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Well, everybody's vulnerable to corruption and greed.
  5. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Great insightful stuff! I'd like more replies like this.
  6. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I have nobody to blame for the way I am. I was always useless and screwed up. Different parents could have only made it worse but not better.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.