showing scars

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by maleficum, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maleficum

maleficum Member

is it selfish for me to show my scars? basically, right, i wanna get go and get a leg and bikini wax, professionally, in a salon. i want to be able to buck up the courage and just go and do it, but i'm uncertain, cos i'm worried that's it selfish and mean to expect a professional beautician to deal with the fact of seeing my scars on my thighs. and i know i could wax myself, or just shave, but i wanna do it professionally, y'know? i just would like to know if it's like, out of order to show my scars to someone like that? thanks in advance for replies and sorry cos i'm tipsy and i dunno how much sense this makes. xxxxx
  2. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

They must face scars and blemishes all the time in their job. I say go and get it done and don't worry!
  3. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

I think you should go ahead and do it, but be prepared for the woman to ask what happened. She most likely won't, but then again, she might not know it is from self-harm and will genuinely be curious. Chances are, she won't say anything, and you deserve to treat yourself!
  4. maleficum

maleficum Member

if they ask, what should i say////?
  5. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

I would say it was an experiment that got out of hand...that'll shut her up :)

Or you could just say, "Trust me, you don't wanna know.", and leave it at that.

Chances are she won't ask about it though. People in that industry have to learn to be tactful around all sorts of different people. It would surprise me if she reacts at all.
  6. ~Nobody~

~Nobody~ Well-Known Member

You could always tell her the truth. Say you went through a period of harming yourself when you were younger 'cause you had some bad experiences.

I had to explain it to several different doctors and nurses when I was in hospital for an appendectomy recently, and they really should have known better than to ask :dry:.
  7. maleficum

maleficum Member

thank you everyone for the replies very kind and helpful :) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  8. raindrop

raindrop Well-Known Member

Go get it done. They see scars all the time from accidents and surgeries. It will not be shocking. If they ask tell them in a really nice voice they you don't want to talk about it then ask her a question about the weather or how long she has worked there(change the subject). Go.... you'll be glad you did.
  9. You could always say, "Wouldn't you like to know..." and raise your eyebrows suggestively. Maybe give a little purr. lol
  10. Lady E

Lady E Well-Known Member

Don't be ashamed of your scars the technicians in salons are trained to be professional and if they don't act in a professional manner then you can speak with their manager.
  11. :agreed:
  12. Wonderstuff

Wonderstuff Staff Alumni

Actually that's very true. And some good advice! I've been thinking about doing this for some time too, but...well, on my thigh I have an actual word, so...yeah, I guess that's not happening any time soon.
    I hope you go and get it done though maleficum, sounds like it would be worth it :)
  13. underdosed

underdosed Guest

im a total chicken. i would probably say i had been in a biking or car accident. she probably wouldnt even ask however. they probably see all kinds of weirdness (not taht your scars are weird-i have my own)
  14. Tara

Tara Guest

i agree with all thats been said.
    why should you pussyfoot around others? I think that you should go ahead with it. I dont think they'd ask. But i know id feel so embarrassed (though you shouldnt!!) and i'd say something before they'd ask!
    But if you think you can go through with it then good for you! have it done!

moonstar- go for it too! what does the word say? (you dont have to tell me) you could go 'round the word, like say it was a name of a place (i cant think sorry!) you could just say "hahaha oh that was a funny time of my life....things u do when ur young!".....or just cover it with a plaster. say you had a little accident, they dont need to see it (well depending on where it is, where they have to wax!)
  15. ~Nobody~

~Nobody~ Well-Known Member

I have a word on mine too, from a dissociative episode... I don't even remember doing it. But unfortunately it is well and truly there, despite doing what I could with (expensive! :rolleyes:) steri-strips afterwards. I think I may have to get a tattoo to cover it or something one day if I get through all this shit. But anyway, it was hell when I was in hospital (emergency appendix removal) because that wasn't too long after I'd done it and it was so obvious :sad:.

The word has put me off booking a leg wax, too. But I guess you are right in suggesting a dressing of some kind. Mine's very high up so I guess I'd get away with that. :unsure:
  16. Tara

Tara Guest

yeah! go for it! if its high up you could just wrap some bandages around your leg and if they ask say you pulled a muscle or burnt yourself or anything!
  17. jane doe

jane doe Well-Known Member

you can say, i preffer not talk about it....with a sad face so nobody will ask..i think
  18. danni

danni Chat Buddy

...yea just go and get it done, and like what other said if they ask about the scars can tell them the truth or just say i dont want to talk about and they will understand.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.