ShyGuy's advice giver thread

ShyGuy

I have actually always wanted to become a people person (even though I'm actually really shy) and wanted to give advice to others.

I just worry that my skills aren't up to the task.

Give your problems to me, and I'll try to give you some advice.. but I might be speechless sometimes... I don't always know what to say.. I don't know if I can help much.. I'll say this here, take whatever I say with a grain of salt.. I've never really gaven much advice before..

What would you like advice or feedback or any thing on?

Bergerac

Yes, please. Well, this is a more minor one but still: thank you. I am currently waiting to start a dream job and life (for me, anyway). However, in the meantime, before it actually comes to fruition, I have very little in the way of happiness and feel bad most days. I do I remember to keep myself upbeat and have faith in the unfolding situation, during the wait.

This way, I'll stop being so selfish to those around me and improve my own mood, the over-eating etc. Any destructive thinking pattern that I've got into really, and enjoy the build-up. Stop worrying about the problems I have currently.

I guess it simply hasn't sunk in yet, as I've failed everything previously.

Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShyGuy

Thank you!!

Again I'm not too great with great high-profolic advice..

but ya say you have very little in the way of happiness and feel bad most days. I think that you should play more video games. Personally I would say not modern games (I'm bad at them and they're so slow) but like, old-school video games like Sonic the Hedgehog for Sega Genesis, and the Kirby games, and Nintendo games in general. There's many great video games from the past (and some in the present.)

It surprised me myself. But when I play Sonic Mania, the game that came out like two years ago that replicates the oldschool Sonic games.. and I played Super Mario 64 and Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon 64 and Diddy Kong Racing for Nintendo 64 and Secret of Mana for SNES and Trials of Mana for PC/PS4/Xbox, I felt a lot better.

There's also some entertaining things to watch, such as anime (Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Gurren Lagann, Gintama, Ashita no Joe, Space Dandy, Bobobo-bobo-Bobobo) that is entertaining.

Bergerac

Thank you!!

Again I'm not too great with great high-profolic advice..

but ya say you have very little in the way of happiness and feel bad most days. I think that you should play more video games. Personally I would say not modern games (I'm bad at them and they're so slow) but like, old-school video games like Sonic the Hedgehog for Sega Genesis, and the Kirby games, and Nintendo games in general. There's many great video games from the past (and some in the present.)

It surprised me myself. But when I play Sonic Mania, the game that came out like two years ago that replicates the oldschool Sonic games.. and I played Super Mario 64 and Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon 64 and Diddy Kong Racing for Nintendo 64 and Secret of Mana for SNES and Trials of Mana for PC/PS4/Xbox, I felt a lot better.

There's also some entertaining things to watch, such as anime (Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Gurren Lagann, Gintama, Ashita no Joe, Space Dandy, Bobobo-bobo-Bobobo) that is entertaining.
Thank you very much indeed. You're absolutely right. I should find something fun like that to become thoroughly engrossed in and enjoy myself.

I will look for those games later today and report back.

Thank you again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
Hey Shyguy.

I got sucked into an argument on Facebook yesterday. The person (who I don't know, but they'd commented on a news article) was acting like a complete #!*¥¶*, the red mist descended and I found myself replying. She just carried on and I kept on replying. Looking back it was just ridiculous, I should have just left it as she was either stupid or a troll.
I find myself doing this all the time as it just winds me up when people are so unfair.

How do I calm myself down and stop reacting to it and getting into arguments?

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
Hi, ShyGuy. I know you have done a lot with computer/online games. I just want an opinion here...

I’ve started playing a game where you collect objects in the game by meeting challenges. The game has some little time-savers and challenge-assists - they are expensive add-ons that you have to keep purchasing. Sometimes you can earn them as rewards from successfully completing other challenges.

I was reading comments from other players. Someone said that if you have to use those little “time-savers and challenge-assists” it’s as good as cheating. Sometimes I play a part of the game and I just don’t seem to be able to get through the challenge in the limited time. After a number of attempts, I will use one of the add-ons. I don’t want to think I’m cheating, but I know I’m taking a shortcut. However, I’ve earned or purchased the add-on. Is that cheating? I don’t want others to think badly of me.

What is your opinion about this?

ShyGuy

*rocks up to Shyguy's table and takes a seat*
Hi!
So - I need some motivation to go to the gym. You got any advice where I can find that? (anything besides "just go!" cause that's clearly not working for me)
idk but if ya go to the gym it might give ya more energy and that is always a good thing.

Hi @shyguy. At work, sometimes I want to keep my mouth shut and I can't. How do I stop myself from saying something that's going to get me in trouble?
ya gotta like try to keep it to yourself like write down what ya wanna say on your phone or tablet or paper or something.

Shyguy, I can't motivate myself to do anything even though I'm so bored of doing nothing, how would you recommend motivating myself?
ya gotta realize ya can make friends and money and stuff if ya do stuff and it might be fun to do stuff.

Hey Shyguy.

I got sucked into an argument on Facebook yesterday. The person (who I don't know, but they'd commented on a news article) was acting like a complete #!*¥¶*, the red mist descended and I found myself replying. She just carried on and I kept on replying. Looking back it was just ridiculous, I should have just left it as she was either stupid or a troll.
I find myself doing this all the time as it just winds me up when people are so unfair.

How do I calm myself down and stop reacting to it and getting into arguments?
ya may wanna try ignoring it but I know it might be hard

Hi, ShyGuy. I know you have done a lot with computer/online games. I just want an opinion here...

I’ve started playing a game where you collect objects in the game by meeting challenges. The game has some little time-savers and challenge-assists - they are expensive add-ons that you have to keep purchasing. Sometimes you can earn them as rewards from successfully completing other challenges.

I was reading comments from other players. Someone said that if you have to use those little “time-savers and challenge-assists” it’s as good as cheating. Sometimes I play a part of the game and I just don’t seem to be able to get through the challenge in the limited time. After a number of attempts, I will use one of the add-ons. I don’t want to think I’m cheating, but I know I’m taking a shortcut. However, I’ve earned or purchased the add-on. Is that cheating? I don’t want others to think badly of me.

What is your opinion about this?
I do not think that it is cheating but what matters is what you think of it personally, but if ya tried your best to try to get it and couldn't get it and then resorted to purchasing it then I don't think it's cheating, it's bad to spend too much money on a digital game though, ya might look back and regret doing that in the future (I spent a lot of money on pokemon go)

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
ShyGuy, thank you! I was hoping you’d say it’s not quite cheating. :) And wow are you ever right about spending money! I’ve been surprised at how much I’ve spent already. I’ll have to keep an eye on that.

Nick

☆☆Admin-tastic ☆☆
Safety & Support
SF Social Media
SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
@ShyGuy I've been feeling kind of bad lately and one of things that helps me is to play games on my phone. I really like word games and puzzle games in particular. I need some new games to try as a distraction. Do you have any suggestions?

ShyGuy

@ShyGuy I've been feeling kind of bad lately and one of things that helps me is to play games on my phone. I really like word games and puzzle games in particular. I need some new games to try as a distraction. Do you have any suggestions?
Nah I'm not sure. I'm not too into word and puzzle games. Pokémon Shuffle Mobile is a puzzle game but I'm not sure if it's actually any good at all. It was way too easy for me when I tried it on the 3ds.

Kiwi2016

🦩 Now a flamingo, not a kiwi 🦩
SF Pro
A great thread by the way @shyguy...

So any advice on how to get to a healthy balance of handling my father's estate (both the practicalities and emotional side of things), very detailed/time sensitive/complex job that I am not performing well at at the moment and husband who is sheltering at home due to covid so weekends/evenings he wants all my attention?

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$135.00
Goal
$255.00