SI and sexual abuse

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Loco72, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loco72

Loco72 Well-Known Member

So a friend of mine just got out of college and started working as a outpatient case manager. She's been picking my brain, trying to get a better understanding of SI'ing. She has the book knowledge but not yet the practical experience, so trying to gather as much as she can.

Well, she asked me if I had ever been sexually abused or molested when I was younger. Now my memory from before I turned 7 is really very patchy, but as far as I could remember no, not ever. Apparently it is very common that SI'ers have been abused.

Thinking back the other day at things I loved doing(IE horseriding) I remembered how I would always ride around with our horseriding instructor, who was the closests thing I had to a grandfather. Well, for a while there were rumors that he had propositioned a 17 year old at the riding school...Whenever we would have to go get some feed, or run an errand or something and I'd ride with him in the car(this is from age 10 till about 17), he'd put his hand on my leg...sometimes he'd kinda hold my thigh....his hands never touched anywhere more than that, but I remember it making me feel uncomfortable, but I never said anything. Would that be considered abuse?

It's not that I'm looking for something to blame my SI'ing on, just wondered what people's thoughts were on the subject.

2. jane doe

jane doe Well-Known Member

i never been abused i think, and i tryed to force my memory as much as i can, but i remember the Si started as an anger moment, not as anything else but that. may be abuse is not the only cause, but one of the most important...

3. Broken Wings

Broken Wings Well-Known Member

My memories of when I was young are pretty good, but people can block things they don't like out of their memories.

But no, as far as I know, I've never been sexually abused. My one and only sexual experience was unpleasant, and I regret it, and it causes me a lot of grief, but it occured after I started SI.

Some people would say I was emotionally and physically abused by my family, but I don't view it that way, and never have, so I doubt very much it factors greatly into my SI.

So... yeah... enough info from me?

4. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

I was never sexually abused, I don't think. But I was a very "sexual" kid. I did a lot of things that I regret doing now. Most of them probably being my idea at the time. I don't remember exactly. But I don't think that had a lot to do with why I started to cut myself. Though it does play a role in why I continue to cut.

5. Ann

Ann Well-Known Member

I don't think your memory represent an abused. I don't think sexual abuse is the only explanation to self harm. But I think that lot of self harmers might have known psychological or physical abuse if it's not sexual abuse. Those kind of stuff deteriorate your own image and might allow you to do stuff you shouldn't do at yourself.
    Personally, I've been physically and psychologically abused as a kid. I even think that the psychological abuse is still going on but not on a regular basis.
    Hope I helped you and your friend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.