Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Elle., Jul 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elle.

Elle. Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

Just for checking, this might sound really stupid and if it does I'm sorry.

But I would like to know everyone thinks self injury really is either a form of mental illness or a lack of self confidence.

I read the sticky thread about coming out, and it's great. It's helped me a lot and had me realise what I had done wrong with the first person I told.

Anyway I don't really agree on this one thing. My self confidence if fine. I don't dislike myself at all. Well, not more than any other would on the occasion you know? And I sincerely believe my mental health is fine!

I'm just saying, in my opinion self injury could also be a form of refuge. Really just a temporary escape. Maybe people need to realise for themselves that for some people their reasons for eg. cutting lay nowhere but on the surface, rather than deep within. Maybe the reason some people cut really is not about self confidence but simply about the act of cutting. The way you feel when you stop. Maybe their just afraid of trying alternatives to self injury, because the coping method works fine as it is. (whcih could arguably be a lack of confidence, agreed)

Anyway, what are peoples apoinions on this? I think you cant really divide self injury into two catagories.

This may seem like an over reaction for just one line in a wonderful thread, but I really am simply curious as to what people think.

2. necrodude

necrodude Well-Known Member

id say its a personal response
  3. elvinchild

elvinchild Well-Known Member

I think there's definitely a lot of different ways you could look at it and categorize it.

I think they might categorize using cutting as a refuge as some sort of mental illness, just because its considered a maladaptive coping strategy.

Consider: "A mental disorder or mental illness is a psychological or behavioral pattern that occurs in an individual and is thought to cause distress or disability that is not expected as part of normal development or culture."

Self-injury is not considered a normal part of development or culture, so it fits into the definition of mental illness.

However, I don't think that everyone who has self-injured can be diagnosed with a psychiatric disorder or has low self-confidence (this type of SI results from guilt/shame/anger directed towards self). Its just that people who SI tend to fit these categories.

SI is most often associated with Borderline personality disorder, which is not an "illness" based in the brain chemistry, but more a maladaptive ability to cope with life, often due to trauma or simply not being taught the right coping strategies in childhood.
  4. foxwithwings13

foxwithwings13 Well-Known Member

I've actually been wondering this myself lately.
    I really dk what to classify it as like a mental disorder or not, or mabye to call it almost a "symptom" or a mental illness?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.