Siad 2007

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by kindtosnails, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kindtosnails

kindtosnails Staff Alumni

March 1st is Self Injury Awareness Day. Thought it wouldn't hurt to think about what we could do to try and promote awareness of SI, to reduce the stigma and wrong stereotypes and get the real issue across...

Things like contacting local newspapers or national newspapers, radio stations, tv channels, raising awareness in schools, universities, workplaces, you could make a video (preferably non triggering) and put it on youtube or something to get the message across, or use it as an opportunity to tell people you know about the truth of SI, that it can affect all age groups, males and females, that its not for attention and not a suicide attempt etc etc.

Anyone planning anything?
  2. Smashed-Up-Sanity

Smashed-Up-Sanity Well-Known Member

im not planning anything, but i think that you have some great ideas and i will start planning something
  3. Jenny

Jenny Staff Alumni

I've stickied the thread :) and just found this website
    which has some ideas of what to do to help for the self injury awareness day..

I might look in to putting up a few posters at work and stuff.. :idea:
  4. kindtosnails

Ok, thought more... People people could email/write to: MPs, schools, universities, newspapers, tv channels, radio stations, magazines, health professionals...

At LifeSIGNS ( there are letters already written which you could just add your name etc and send to newspapers, mps etc. At the link Jenny mentioned, there's also posters and leaflets. Maybe try and get local schools and doctors surgeries to put up some posters or display leaflets etc. The fact sheets are designed for teachers, students, self injurers, males and friend or family..i think thats it...

Oh and you can buy the orange bands for SI awareness from LS too. (

To find contact details for your local doctors surgeries (if in uk) :

To find contact details of local schools etc (again, in uk) :
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2007
  5. kindtosnails

6. kindtosnails

I'm sensing a lack of enthusiasm... :dry:
  7. Lost Disciple

Lost Disciple Well-Known Member

Well, I don't want to give it away....

But I'm looking into it.
  8. //x/forgottonemo/x//

//x/forgottonemo/x// Well-Known Member

i was thinking of maybe doing a video for it on youtube.. cos it annoys me a lot when people think you self harm for attention... like one girl in my class said ' ohh only physcos slit themselves' makes me really pissed off that no one gets it :mad: ... we'll prob have an assembly at school too about it :sad:
  9. kindtosnails

I'm intrigued... :laugh:

Sounds a great plan :smile:
  10. //x/forgottonemo/x//

//x/forgottonemo/x// Well-Known Member

hey, how would you make a good awarenes vid for youtube?? cos some ones ive watched people right nasty comments that the videor is advertising it or being stupid or showing off.... wondering how to make it good.. any ideas??
  11. kindtosnails

Personally, I think videos which have pictures of injuries are triggering for some, irresponsible, and in some ways inviting negative comments like that, but that's just my personal opinion...besides, I don't understand who would exactly take these pictures of their injuries, but you know whatever, I try not to judge...

To answer your question, I think its really up to you how you go about it, and you can make it so you have to approve each comment before it's displayed and just don't show ones that could be hurtful to others...
  12. Beret

Beret Staff Alumni

:( i hope anyone comes up with good ideas, i just dunno :( Love you all and want to say i feel so much better since i stopped self harming :) luv ya all
  13. kindtosnails

'Tis today...:unsure: :eek:hmy: :smile:
  14. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

I was just about to say don't be silly, it's the 29th today! :doh:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.