Sick of psychiatrists not listening.

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by feathers, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. feathers

feathers Well-Known Member

I've seen 3 different psychs and they haven't listened to a word I've said. I never even get to the end of my explanation because they always butt in and tell me there's nothing wrong with me when there clearly is so I have written this to give to my next psych!

Kaz x

2. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Brilliant! if they don't listen to that then they need their licenses revoked :mad:

LEt us know how it goes.

3. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Firstly, I think people only recognize what they feel comfortable seeing in any field, that being said, I looked at several seemingly authoritative journal articles and such for you to include as a reference...I thoughts these guidelines made the most sense...best of luck to you and keep advocating for what you need...you deserve good care:

http://www.isst-d.org/education/treatmentguidelines-index.htm

This reference makes some very good points...it may not include specifically your mood changes, but does give you some evidence to make them do their work

4. feathers

feathers Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I don't live in the US so I don't think those guidelines are relevant here, I could be wrong?

5. Kiba

Kiba Well-Known Member

I have found that a lot of therapists if not all that have seen me really don't want to work with me at all.. I have either been shifted around so many times or as of recently lost my insurance and I can't afford to see someone.. I am also trying to find someone who specializes more with DID but it is frustrating because I feel like there aren't many therapists wanting to "deal" with clients who have had so many traumatic experiences.. I also find that I can never go thru everything in a session.. and lately I went thru an intake session and completely forgot what I was talking about. I think it's a great idea to write it all done for them to see! And it is also good for you to be able to see it all yourself. Especially if you forget too..

Also I have found it hard to find a therapist who is willing to believe me.. Like.. many do not believe you are able to recognize your own alters sometimes.. Especially before you have had any sort of diagnosis of DID.. And there is a lot of therapists who still don't believe DID exists. As well as up until recently a lot of my alters acted fairly similar to one another and unless you had been with me for a year or so you may not have noticed.. But as of now the split is becoming more apparent..

6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Oh boy do I know that feeling. My psychiatrist doesn't listen to a word I say. But I have an appointment on thursday and I plan on telling him and if he doesn't start to listen I'm going to find someone who will. Good luck with your psych appointment, make sure to let us know how it goes x

7. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

Its your precious time and your precious money. There's no sense it wasting it on a doctor who won't treat you the way you deserve to be treated. If you still feel the same or even worse, what's the point? You don't owe him or her anything. Thank goodness at least many of us have a variety of mental health doctors to choose from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.