Signs of a bad economy and poverty where you live

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by shades, Sep 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I have been noticing some changes around here (I live just outside of Los Angeles, California, U.S.) lately which are very sad!

There are 10 people outside of shopping markets and such asking for money when a year or two ago there were 1 or 2.

There are lines of up to 20-30 people at the local recycling center, turning in plastic, cardboard and soda cans, when there used to be maybe 3 or 4.

There are dozens of people coming around taking recyclable material from our garbage cans every week now, when I used to see maybe 1 or 2 on very few occasions. Also, a few of them are going through the garbage can which has old food in it.

What have you noticed where you live? Anything similar or different that indicates how poverty stricken the population has become?
  2. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

The only difference I have noticed is that last year, it was impossible for me to get a job.
    Even McDonalds wouldn't hire me... so naturally- I've lost all confidence that I might've once had about being competent in any work environment.

I've actually noticed less trash and vandalism... and not nearly as many openly homeless people in the downtown section of Toronto. XD

I might not be able to work at McDonalds, but at least my sister's neighborhood is pretty!
  3. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

Well one thing I noticed that personally effected me was the factory I work had to shut down for a week earlier this year (although I still had to work because I'm not one of the "normal" factory workers) And before that we had to tell all the temps that they no longer could work here due to the lagging sales.

Other than that I've personally heard about places closing down back home in Michigan when my mom calls me. I guess places that have been in business for decades in kalamazoo are closing down.

Also my "girlfriend" (or ex..whatever she is I don't actually know...) has been out of work for well over a year and it doesn't look like she'll be getting a job anytime soon either. I guess we all just live in troubled times eh?
  4. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

5. mulberrypie

mulberrypie Well-Known Member

that sucks. who didnt see this coming for california though ? when the economy got bad they didnt seem to think it would affect them. ran all the rich ppl out and they took the jobs w them. spent with no means to pay or it. unfortunately will have to hit bottom before it gets better.the few states that are in the black have repub govenors..what a coincidence.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2010
  6. antagonist93

antagonist93 Member

I live in one of the biggest council estates in europe so a bit of poverty is to be expected. I know there are plenty of people here who have to skip meals due to financial prospects.
  7. Deanna

Deanna Active Member

The soup kitchen in my neighborhood shut down because their building went into foreclosure.

That's pitiful.
  8. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I hadn't heard's truly horrifying (and as you said, pitiful) that they would foreclose on a soup kitchen. I really can't wrap my brain (what's left of it) around that one!
  9. Deanna

Deanna Active Member

It could be McDonalds isn't hiring you because you're overqualified. From the manager's p.o.v., an overqualified person is more likely to move on once she finds a better job, and it's not "cost effective" to keep training new people. Don't feel down on yourself because they won't hire you!
  10. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I've noticed lately the amount of shops closing in our regional City...and the ones still open have bargain racks everywhere..something we never used to see..people just arent buying like they used to..
  11. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

One thing that doesn't make sense to me is I have noticed a massive rise in traffic. Where is everyone going?????? There are too many cars on the road.

The other week a 2 and a half hour journey on a saturday afternoon took 4 hours. Why so many cars when no one is working? Where are they all going? Then Sunday night same drive it was busy again but the speed was better, whereas on a Sunday night a year ago the road would be clear.

That is motorways, in the residential areas it has become ridiculous. The queing at round-a-bouts and lights is ridiculous some times. Even during the day when everyone is supposed to be at work.

But where is everyone going and where have they been?
  12. OutCaste

OutCaste Well-Known Member

I actually live in a very poor area (Reading, PA). Before that I lived in Philly, NJ, NY (short while).

One thing that saddens me is that a good number of unemployed Americans have no interest in getting a job, they would rather continue getting welfare. And what's even worse is that they all still want to have a 50" TV at home, eat outside everyday and spend money on other trivial shit. I don't know if that's a sign of poverty because it doesnt look like it is.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2010
  13. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

maybe as a society we're becoming more and more depressed
  14. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Canada got it far easier. I haven't noticed much but apparently there's been a few percent drop in this market and that.
  15. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Lots of signs here. Beggers everywhere. Homeless that sleep in the subways, people who go to mcdonalds begging you to buy them a hamburger, homeless that sleep in the 24h coffee shop i used to go to, lots of people looking inside public garbage containers for soda cans, people breaking those cigarrete buds containers to get their nicotine fix.

There's a handicap man missing an arm that always beg right in the middle of our chinatown. He always go shirtless even in winter.

Women (yes more than one) that are pregnant that go inside every subway train wagons to beg for money. Very sad.
  16. mulberrypie

mulberrypie Well-Known Member

exacty. what incentive is there to work when you can collect welfare or "unemployment"(that lasts 2 1/2 years)?
  17. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Not sure if it's a bad economy or the latest govt initiative but my disability benefit has gone down for reasons that make no sense going by their reply.

A lot of bargain stores have opened where I am replacing closed shops, bankrupt chain stores.
  18. OutCaste

OutCaste Well-Known Member

Where do you live ? NYC ?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.