Silence at psychologist session:" don’t feel like to talk!"

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by bubblin girl, May 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubblin girl

bubblin girl Well-Known Member

Hey everybody.I have problem considering my psychologist. I start seen this psychologist for a while ago, the problem is he want me to talk about my problems (ex: why I feel ugly, stupid?/what are my family arguing about?) and im not kind person who love to talk & there is something keep me from talking I don’t know what. hes very good, the best in all the hospital but hes the one whos talk the whole hour I spend with him, and I don’t talk one at all. Today, he's bothered alot about that and said to me he feel like he's failing to get to me & failing as a psychologist because of that. And I don’t know what to do about it? Any advice??!! thanks
  2. jabooty

jabooty Banned Member

talk to him! tell him what your going through.

think of it this way...if you were to go to the hospital for an illness, lets say a stomach ache and the doctor asks you where it hurts you would tell him right?? otherwise how is he going to help you get better??

no difference here...he wants you to tell him how your hurting so he can try to help you.

if you dont want to tell him or talk about it....write it down on a sheet of paper and give it him. At least he would be able to go in the proper direction with your treatment and try to help you. Afterall your there for the help right, otherwise you wouldnt go.
  3. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

Hey BG,

How many sessions have you had with your psychologist? When I first started seeing mine it took me quite a while before I was able to open up with her. Literally the 1st 5 or 6 sessions consisted of her talking & me staring at the floor.

I'm just wondering if you feel fully comfortable with him yet? Because until you do, it may be hard for you to open up. Just because he is the best in the hospital does not necessarily mean that he is the best for you.

4. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

Maybe find a form of communication you are most comfortable with. Like writing I love writing you do not seem to have much trouble writing. Why not write about these topics? Come to a session with a mountain of paper and hand him the writing that pertains to the question. Kind of a weird way to go about it. However, at least you would be saying something.

Otherwise remember you are there to get help. He cannot help you if you do not talk.
  5. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

Hi bubblin girl,

I've been seeing my counsellor for seven months now, and there are still many sessions when I don't say a lot because, like you, I hate to talk about myself. I start every session by saying that I don't want to be there, and nearly every topic he raises is met with 'I don't want to talk about it'. Somehow though, he manages to weasel things out of me.

The suggestion of writing things down is not a bad one. I definitely feel more comfortable when I can take time to think about my answer and tend to articulate better when I write things rather than saying them.

But no matter how you do it, you should find a way of talking to him. Remember that he is there to help you, and it's nice to take advantage of having someone unattached that you can rant at!

6. lonercarrot

lonercarrot Well-Known Member

Unless you tell him everything that's on your mind you're just going to be wasting your time seeing him. Holding anything back or cleaning your thoughts up before revealing them will only make it harder for him to help you..
  7. Waterfall55

Waterfall55 Well-Known Member

Hi Bubblin - I don't think you are wasting your time when you go there and can't talk. Does it help to just be in his office? Does it let you feel safe or hopeful for a little while, while you are there? As he talks, do you feel more comfortable, and start to think maybe you can trust him? As the others have stated, for many people it takes a long time to be able to open up. It sounds to me like you are working on building a relationship with your psychologist, so that when the time comes, you can let him in, a little bit at a time, and by doing so, give him a chance to see if he can help you. Just my two cents.
  8. bubblin girl

RIGHT :) its an exelant example,ill try to think & see it this way next time i see him. and also the write is good idea becouse its easer for me.thanks alot, you are really helpful.
    thanks for the advice :)
    take care :hug:
  9. bubblin girl

i think 4 or 5 times and yeah maybe im not fully comfrtable,then its normal thats good. thanks darling :)
    surly i agree with u, is not always the best mean the best for me.
  10. bubblin girl

yes, i have the writting skill & degree of comfortable is much better, i accually will take your advice & write down whats in my mind.thanks alot for your advice, its help alot :)

and ill remmber that :)

11. bubblin girl

yeah, i feel comfortable when i write & take time to answer like you and i surlly remmber that becouse its important to confedent & start talking. thanks for the advice dear :) its very helpful :)
  12. bubblin girl

yeah i was thinking that also im weasting his time on me and there are more patient are need it despretlly since he is so busy and no appontment tell june and i dont desearve it, so give my time is better to someone who could have benefit.

ill try to be more open.thanks dear :)
  13. bubblin girl

how are you?
    I totally agree with you,its feel safe with him & comfortable to know there is somebody listning and caring for me and devoted to listen to my problem & give me a light of hope to my lisfe.And since i see him for short time ago so im in building relationship & trust stage.your thought totally right.
    thanks alot darling you words give me hope in my psychologist,session & life, you are great friend.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.