Sinking again

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by dyingtodie, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dyingtodie

dyingtodie Member

Hello... I guess I'm the new kid(well not so much of a kid) on the block. A little about me... I'm a 26 year old mother of 2 and wife. Every year around this time I find myself getting sucked into an extreme bout of depression. I live in a place that suffers insanely long winters and this is about the time of year that being stuck in the house gets to me. I absolutely hate winter.
    Anyway, its a really tough time for me and as long as I can make it through the next few months I will be fine... well at least until next year at this time. There have been a few winters that I almost didn't make it though, so I worry. I love my kids and husband to death and couldn't bear to hurt them. So I guess its a good thing I can vent a little here, that seems to help sometimes.
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Welcome to SF. I am glad you found us :hug:
  3. Xenos

Xenos Well-Known Member

Heya, welcome to SF :D Feel free to vent at forum whenever you need to. We're here to listen.
  4. mdmefontaine

mdmefontaine Antiquities Friend

hi. i am new here too. i am a 45 yr old mom of two, also a wife. wondering where you live, as you write about hating winter! i am in canada. jeepers it is cold and dark here. when i was happy, i loved the snow and dark - it was cozy to have a fire and share a bottle of wine. now i am going thru a terrible crisis and deep depression. nothing is cozy about winter anymore

i am glad you came to the forum. it is only my 2nd day here. i think it distracted me enough last night that i am still here. day at a time i guess. very nice to 'meet' you :smile:
  5. dyingtodie

dyingtodie Member

I live in Wisconsin, in the US. I'm guessing that your winters are much worse than ours are. I feel like an Canadian winter would be the end of me. Unlike you I have never really been a fan of winter, although at one point it was a tolerable season. Now every winter I beg my husband to move somewhere with a more mild climate, out west perhaps, but we don't have enough money to move.
    I know as long as I make it through the winter, I'll be ok. I love the summers here.
    I hope the best for you and it is very nice to know that there is someone out there going though the winter thing with me.
  6. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

Welcome to SF.
  7. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. What is it you hate about the winter? I'm from the UK and our winters are just damp and drizzly. I'd swap with you anyday but then I have a thing about ice climbing. It's one of the few things that makes me feel truly alive. If you do feel that bad about it then maybe you should insist on moving whether you can afford it or not. you can't put a price on your health. Best wishes.
  8. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

The guy in your sig didn't write that song, it was a cover :laugh:
  9. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

:welcome: to the forum

I think they have some kind of 'depression lamps' or something to that extent for people with seasonal depression. You should check into it. My girlfriend has one.

Anyway, hope to see you around and get to know you better :hug:
  10. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

It sounds as if you may suffer from seasonal affective disorder. As was mentioned above, they do make special lamps that you can sit under to help combat that extra loss of sunlight. Maybe it is something you could look around for and see if it helps. I live in Montana so definitely understand about the long winters. I am glad you have your husband and children to help you find the reason to fight. Keep holding on to that.
  11. dyingtodie

dyingtodie Member

I have been diagnosed with SAD a few years ago and did some work with the full spectrum lamps... with little result. I feel that it is not so much the lack of light that bothers me. It is being trapped inside my house for 6 months of the year. During the summer I am a completely outgoing person. I have tons of friends and plan all kinds of parties and outings with our friends. I love life and everything about it. All of the activities I enjoy doing require warm weather. My passion in the summer is gardening. It is my escape from the world and city life. I can sit in my garden with my kids, a bucket and rake for hours on end... just getting back to the "simple life"......... This might sound dumb, but it brings tears to my to think about.

In the winter there is nothing, just cold and snow. I used to snowboard, something to help pass the winter, but ever since we had our kids, my husband and I don't go anymore. I just can't bring myself to go out into the cold. I HATE being cold and it seems the older I get the harder it is for me to stay warm. It is just as depressing for me to do an outdoor activity and be cold as it is for me to be stuck in the house.
  12. porcelain child

porcelain child Well-Known Member

Welcome to SF hunni..

Hope you settle in ok..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.