Sister is all alone with my mom, who OD'd this morning, need advice

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by needhelpplease, Apr 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. needhelpplease

needhelpplease New Member

Around this time last year, my sister admitted to me that our mom tried to OD on pills but she (mom) had promised she wouldn't do it again.

Now my sister has just called me to say that mom has overdosed again, but our dad isn't around to help my sister--he's in Costa Rica trip for the next week and we can't get ahold of him. I'm in another state for school so I can't come and help.

I'm just looking on what I should tell my sister to do, because it is killing me that I don't know what to do--I've never dealt with anything like that and my sister doesn't have a drivers license so she can't go very far for help.
  2. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

My thought is that your mom needs some professional help and possibly a trip to the emergency room.
  3. flowers

flowers Senior Member

hi. If mother is in danger then someone should call 911. It is important to first get help for her.
    Then, is there a family member or adult who can be called? someone who can be with your sister. Even the parent of a friend. Anyone?
    Step 3 is there a phone number for your dad? I think he should know ASAP. It is important that he, as a parent knows. So he can get help for your sister and mom. Please keep posting. I will keep checking back. :hug:
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2014
  4. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

If your mother took an overdose then she needs treatment. If you call a crisis line they will be able to advise you how best to get help for your mother, your sister and yourself. There are support systems out there - it is just a matter of finding out how to access them. Don't be afraid to ask for help from the professionals.

Be there for your sister - distance is a problem but being available on the end of the phone is a massive support; don't undervalue it. Make sure that YOU get some support as well - it isn't an easy situation for anyone.

Stay safe and good luck :hug:
  5. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

What a situation! My heart goes out to you. Tell her to call an ambulance. It's essential that your mother has her stomach pumped. Suicide attempts are a cry for help.

Also talk with your sister, and make sure she is stable. I am sure she is in shock but that won't last forever. Your sister might be dealing with thoughts of blame, shame, and betrayal. Here she was holding onto this dark secret in trust that your mother would never do it again; only to have your mother betray her trust. She could feel shame and blame because she didn't react as her instincts told her to the first time in telling your father. And now that your mother had done it again she may be feeling ad though it's partly her fault because she listened to the lie and if she had told someone your mother could have been well by now or at least on the way to getting well.

I would assure your sister that it isn't her fault. I would reassure her that she can trust your dad and yourself in a situation like this; holding onto a secret that BIG has very serious effects on one's mind and soul. Even if they deny that it does. Cry with her on the phone and help her get all that suppressed emotion out. No doubt she is scared, and any comfort you can give her will help tremendously.Assure her that things can get better. I am living proof of this. I used to want to die as much as anyone in here. I love life now. Getting all my unresolved issues was one of the biggest things to help me. Your mother can get better. She needs to get whatever is bothering her out in the open and resolved in a safe loving environment. This is my advice. You are free to accept or reject it. Either way; you have both my thoughts and prayers. :hug:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.